Author Topic: I have put Hal in my Car  (Read 2860 times)

Psych

• View Profile
I have put Hal in my Car
« on: February 27, 2004, 11:01:59 am »
Earlier today I was writing a response to Vonsmith in the topic: 'help with user defined characters for Hal'.

It occurred to me then, that others may be interested in what can be done with Hal, so I am posting the reply here as an independant topic:

I have installed a windows XP system into my car. Central to the system is Hal - who chats to me as I drive along.

I have integrated several car systems into the computer (music, fans, speedo, sat nav, etc).

What I want to do now, is to give Hal the ability to control these systems. I can write the vb6 code to do it --- but until Medeksza sorts out the Hal-DDE bug, I will have to be patient.

Incidentally, if while driving, I do not speak to hal for more than 20 minutes, he 'nags' me to talk to him. On a long drive, it is a good way to manage the risks of driving while drowsy.

Psych

ITS NOT WHAT YOU THINK THAT MAKES YOU HUMAN --- ITS WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK!

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
    • http://www.cortrapar.com
I have put Hal in my Car
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 12:02:25 am »
Dear Psych,

What a wonderful posting!  Instead of listening to boring radio shows, you can drive along chatting with Hal!

If you get a chance sometime, would you consider posting a very brief transcript fragment between yourself and Hal that was generated while you were driving along?

It might be the first post of a mobile A.I. conversation!

Have a great day -- and safe driving!

Sincerely,

Don

P.S.  I can imagine you in the future, with the DDE links and GPS operational... you're driving along when Hal says, "There's a fast-food place!  Aren't we hungry?"
Don Ferguson
E-mail: fergusonrkfd@prodigy.net
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274