Author Topic: Medeksza I got your code for Hal initiating speech  (Read 6326 times)

Psych

• View Profile
Medeksza I got your code for Hal initiating speech
« on: November 16, 2003, 07:24:04 am »
Hi

While exploring the child-windows running on my PC, I stumbled across a control which, if activated, causes Hal to spontaneously talk (ie without the need for me to talk to him).

I can write an external program now to randomly trigger this spontaneous speech. However, I am sure you have provided a way to do this from inside hal. Isn't it time you told us how to do it?

Phil
ITS NOT WHAT YOU THINK THAT MAKES YOU HUMAN --- ITS WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK!

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2003, 01:49:16 pm »
I've been waiting patiently for Robert M. to reveal Hal's new secrets. I assume he's been busy with the new Hal free version and maybe addressing the numerous issues that arise after a new Hal release. Anyway, while waiting for details on Hal's new built-in capabilities I've kept myself busy with exploring the WordNet functions.

Please Robert M., don't forget about us hardcore Hal fanatics.

= vonsmith =
« Last Edit: November 16, 2003, 01:50:16 pm by vonsmith »

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2003, 09:17:58 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Psych

Hi

While exploring the child-windows running on my PC, I stumbled across a control which, if activated, causes Hal to spontaneously talk (ie without the need for me to talk to him).

I can write an external program now to randomly trigger this spontaneous speech. However, I am sure you have provided a way to do this from inside hal. Isn't it time you told us how to do it?

Phil

Please share your new found knowledge with the rest of us. A great many of us have been trying to get Hal to speak without input.
Bill

Psych

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 03:25:03 am »
Once Hal is running, search all of the windows running on your PC to find the window called '<username> talking to Hal'. Then locate the child-windows to the window. One of the child windows (I believe its text name is 'k') once clicked, will cause Hal to ask his user to chat with him.

It is possible to write a small independent computer program to randomly click this child-window, thereby making Hal make requests for the user to talk to him. However it is clumsy to use an external program like this, so I will wait in the hope that Medeksza finds time soon to tell us the commands from within Hal that do a similar thing.

I suppose we will just have to be patient......But come on Medeksza, it would make Hal seem so much more human!

Psych
ITS NOT WHAT YOU THINK THAT MAKES YOU HUMAN --- ITS WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK!

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2003, 06:31:57 pm »
What OS is that??? I went into the task manager and I didn't find anything like what you describe...

NT Canuck

• View Profile
    • http://ntcanuck.com
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2003, 07:04:30 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Larry

What OS is that??? I went into the task manager and I didn't find anything like what you describe...

a visual basic tool "spyxx.exe" will get you there.
display "windows"

NT Canuck

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2003, 05:55:20 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by NT Canuck
a visual basic tool "spyxx.exe" will get you there.
display "windows"

I just did a search on Google for it... everything listed was with viruses...

"Sophos virus analysis: Troj/Bdoor-SV
... exe NWService.exe Nupgrade.exe NVC95.EXE PCCIOMON.EXE PERSFW.EXE POP3TRAP.EXE POPROXY.EXE
REALMON95.EXE RTVSCN95.EXE Smc.exe SPHINX.EXE SPYXX.EXE SPYXX.EXE ...
www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojbdoorsv.html - 18k - Cached - Similar pages "

Gots lots of results like that... but never did find the program... unless it's this one ...
"wine-devel mailing list: spyxx from msvc6.0 crashes on exit...
... Here's the recipe: $ wine spyxx.exe click the minimize widget on the client
document click the quit widget on the app Bingo, unhandled exception. ...
www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2003/01/1055.html - 5k - Cached - Similar pages "
Which sounds like Linux OS ... Which I don't have... lol

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2003, 06:33:38 pm »
Larry,
I looked for it too. It's part of the Microsoft SDK (Software Developer's Kit), which most people don't have access to. I don't know if it is available as a separate download.

The references to viruses seem to be just information that some viruses attempt to shut down or disable certain programs, spyxx.exe being one of many. The SDK spyxx.exe is not the virus.

However with that said, I must congratulate you on your thoughtfulness about reporting back to the group. As a warning to others, I personally would never run any .exe from anywhere but a trusted source. If someone finds spyxx.exe downloadable somewhere make sure you trust the source, your computer's life can depend on it.

= vonsmith =
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 07:14:44 pm by vonsmith »

NT Canuck

• View Profile
    • http://ntcanuck.com
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2003, 03:29:47 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Larry
I just did a search on Google for it...
everything listed was with viruses...
[]
Gots lots of results like that... but never did find the program... unless it's this one ...

it's from visual basic 5/6/.net (spy++, spyxx),
and spy.exe (simpler one) in the vb6 sample demo.

you can use this one (freeware) 976kb download...
http://www.windows-spy.com/#what

--
'Seek and ye shall find'
NT Canuck
http://ntcanuck.com

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2003, 10:40:17 am »
Thanks... really appreciate this... now to figure out what I want to do with it... lol

Psych

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2003, 06:20:20 am »
Its all unnecessary - now that Medeksza has revealed all the new vbs goodies - we can now program hal directly, to get him to ask the user to speak to him.

This is great fun - makes him seem so real

Psych