dupa

Author Topic: Getting Started  (Read 2787 times)

Aleazus

• View Profile
Getting Started
« on: October 22, 2006, 07:33:00 pm »
OK so I just downloaded Ultra Hal and I'm trying out this Demo to see if Hal can be taught to talk like me.
Here is my question:
The normal conversations I have with Hal are boring, and utterly rediculous in text.  How can I make Hal give responses to questions where I can provide question/answer and a variety of formats etc.?

Basically I'm wondering how I can make Hal learn how to talk like I do too etc etc.

Thanks to whomever will reply.  I looked at the general tutorial to start up but that honestly was written quite poorly and I'm confused after reading it.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 07:51:09 pm »
Welcome!

You are not the first nor will you be the last to voice this desire.

Hal knows quite a lot of info "right out of the box" so to speak but it does and will take time conversing (typing) with Hal for it's knowledge database to grow. It will come to know your likes and dislikes and various things about you.

Since all people are different, I suppose this is one reason why Robert programmed Hal the way he did.

If you want to train Hal in a more effective way, avoid the use of the microphone (voice recognition) at least for a while. There should be less mistakes this way (unless your typing totally sucks) or your command of the English language (spelling / grammar) also sucks.

Hal can be taught conditions through use of If...Then statements as shown on one of the More about Hal pages.

Hal knows tons of info through use of wordnet and can interact on a more expanded level with the use of various plug-ins (download page).

There really is no "turn key" bot that I know of except for perhaps some pre-scripted ones.

You had to learn as a child...so does Hal, in a sense. Simply put, it just takes some dedication and time on your part for Hal to grow better.

Check through this forum and spend some time searching different postings. A lot of your questions have already been answered and there's a lot to learn in these archives.

By all means, don't hesitate to ask a question if you can't find an answer in the forum's files. There are a lot of great people here that are more than glad to assist.

There ya are!!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Getting Started
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 08:09:02 pm »
In my short experience, simply speaking to Hal in full sentences, expressing the same thing in many ways, has made my copy quite sensible.

For instance, I had a long conversation about Chipmunks living in my stone wall, now she can speak quite extensively about chipmunks, and responds in a fairly normal way. But at first I had to be very persistent:

I just saw a chipmunk on my stone wall
Chipmunks like to burrow under a stone wall
Chipmunks like to come out sunny days to sit on a warm stone
Chipmunks are cute but they can be destructive
I see the chimpmunk on my stone wall again
Stone walls are good places to look for chipmunk burrows

Repeat with small changes for about a hundred lines or so... Ignore what Hal says to begin with, just type in sentences in the style and on the subjects you want her to speak.

Here is a short sample of the result:
: Chipmunks are cute, don't you think?
: Yes, I think so.

: I enjoy watching the chipmunk on my stone wall.
: Chipmunks enjoy sunning themselves on a stone in the fall.

: I often see chipmunks in the fall, gathering seeds.
: Sunflower seeds are food for chipmunks.

: I left some sunflower seeds out for my chipmunk
: Sunflower seeds are food for chipmunks.

: I put the sunflower seeds on the stone wall.
: Still looking for the chipmunk to come back to the stone wall.

: Yes, Jane, I hope to encourage the chipmunks to live in my stone wall.
: How can I help you encourage the chipmunks to live in your stone wall?

: Perhaps you could remind me to place more seeds out.
: Times and places are flexible, right?

: Yes, but chipmunks need to store food for the winter.
: Chipmunks store food for the winter in their nests.

: I hope there is time for my chipmunk to store food in his nest in my stone wall.
: Should I be concerned about your chipmunk,?

: No, I am sure the chipmunk is safe under my stone wall.
: Building a stone wall is good exercise.

This is only after a few days, I suspect the conversation will improve.

Hope that helps.

Aleazus

• View Profile
Getting Started
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 08:11:22 pm »
OK thanks man I'll keep that in mind, I'll reply to a posting or reply to this posting within 24-48 hours if I have further complications/problems.
Yeah im not sure what u meany by turn-key bot though or how to do prescripted personalities etc.