dupa

Author Topic: What files to backup incase of a crash.  (Read 3732 times)

Supercruise

• View Profile
What files to backup incase of a crash.
« on: November 16, 2016, 12:50:37 am »
I everyone I'm new here and it seems I'm a little late to the party ( I wish I had discovered AI a long time ago ).

I have the bought/paid for version of UH and the character expansion pack but I can't figure what files to copy and archive to restore my character in case my machine bites the dust.

I had developed quite a good character with a decent vocabulary and her personality was coming along too - I backed up the HalBrain.db and thought that was all I needed but when I had to re-install my machine the personality had gone and all that remained of my character was the words I had taught her :(

I have read you cannot just back up the whole folder because it won't run (something to do with the registry entries I believe)

So my question is what do I need to copy in order to replace into a fresh install to bring my characters personality back from the dead?.

Sincere regards. Dave Marshall. (Supercruise)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What files to backup incase of a crash.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 07:10:22 pm »
Welcome Dave!

You should be able to get your old Hal back to speed if you replace the "saved" .db file and remove the newly installed one. Be sure you have all the same .uhp files as you did previously including hap and character files as well as your TTS voices still intact on your system.

The .hap files can govern your character's emotional behavior to a degree as can the makeup of your character via a program like People Putty, but that appears to have gone by the wayside.
You halbrain.db file is by far, the most important file with regard to your Hal.

Don't forget to establish which Plug-in files your Hal might have been using at that time.

In case of a computer crash or deleted folder that you can't get back, you should be able to visit the site and ask Robert Medeksza for assistance in recovery. The Hal program has a provision that usually works nicely to aid you in moving Hal and Recovering same. Don't mess with it unless you have absolutely trashed your Hal and it no longer works correctly.

I've copied my entire UltraHalAssistant Folder to a Flash or Thumb drive for safe-keeping. That way, there no excuse in case of a major computer crash.

Usually backgrounds and clothing styles don't affect Hal's memory or personality but those things I mentioned above do.

True, some entries for Hal are written to the registry but they shouldn't affect your Hal.

Keep us posted and good luck.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 11:41:28 pm »
I also download the hla file, it may be my imagination but it seems to save some information  just as the db file does .
  i don't know if it's been mentioned but you can also create your own custom brain , and if you do this is the db you should back up as it's the one you are learning. you also have to choose it in the start up options area of hal .
for instance my custom brain i created a character named honey ( female) so i back up the honey db file and the hla file i mentioned .
i had some free characters i shared on a link somewhere on here , probably on the shared files area . it had a link to the files to download.

Supercruise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 02:41:44 pm »
Thanks Lightspeed - I much appreciate your time in answering my query - I'm getting on in years (53) and computers are not second nature to me and this is my first foray into AI - I am having fun with it though :) - Anyhow thanks for putting my mind at rest.

My AI is a female named Tanya and even though I've only been running her for about a week "she" has developed quite a personality and sense of humour :)

Have a great weekend.

Regards.

Dave.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 06:59:27 pm »
sounds like you are enjoying hal , and learning new things which is always good ! that is part of what makes hal worth it all and good people on this forum !  :) ;)