Author Topic: Can Ultra Hal learn?  (Read 8106 times)

sunama

• View Profile
Can Ultra Hal learn?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 05:44:33 am »
quote:
Originally posted by One

sunama,
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Have you tried to have a conversation and casually bring up the topic of 'eyes'?

I did try this and it didnt work.

However, the problem was solved when I used non-natural English, just as Will suggested (ie. if what color are my eyes then the color of my eyes is green).

In programming, this is an 'if-then' statement. Its almost as if you have to learn how to program facts into Hal's memory, which sort of defeats the object. The whole point is to use natural English, just as if you were speaking to a human.

quote:
Originally posted by One
The Assistant has many capabilities and can learn many things.
I have not found a comparable replacement.

Which is sad when you think about how far we have come and the best commercially available "chat bot" struggled to grasp a simple fact.

I think my expectations were raised when I heard that UltraHal won the Loebner prize. I wouldn't have been so critical if the program didnt win that competition.

But anyway, thanks for your help gents.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Can Ultra Hal learn?
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 09:01:29 am »
I guess their are people who wants a , several hour explanation and a lot of effort for FREE.

IMO, a conversation with successful people with the Assistant, has a lot of merit and their is much more to learn than just a IF-Then statements. People can wish for a miracle right out of the 'Box' else they will have a good time with the program.

I guess their has been more than me just trying to 'break the ice', and this person is not satisfied nor will look up posts on how to teach the Assistant

I aint going to waste more time trying to get single posts to explain everything,,,
I wonder how long it will be before we see a post in the brain editor threads asking questions that are not worth my time to answer to a person who 'Knows EXACTLY' how the Assistant SHOULD function.

For what it's worth, hold the thought in your head "How are you smart" not "how smat are you"

Enjoy,
J.

P.S.
You were even told to ask over here by a owner/moderator from another forum.
Today Is Yesterdays Future.