Author Topic: Voice Training Hal  (Read 6932 times)

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
Voice Training Hal
« on: August 11, 2014, 07:27:14 pm »
OK, so I needed a new PC headset microphone anyway so I sprung for the one from Zabaware.  I was going to do some voice training with Hal and every time I push those buttons, like microphone settings and voice training nothing happens.

Am I missing some other component to make that work?

Calhoone

• View Profile
Re: Voice Training Hal
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 07:57:52 pm »
I had a similar problem when i was trying to get Kinkaid to pronounce words. I clicked on the button but nothing happened. I haven't seen anyone else post this problem yet. It used to work for me.

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 03:23:22 pm »
Don't know if this will help. I always use the os for speach training say XP, 7 I use windows to train. Linux I use whatever flavor is on the distro. Not sure about apple. So as far as your problem I've never ran across it because I use a different route. I have many programs that use speech recognition and just find it easier doing it that way. Again hope that helps.
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 10:04:19 am »
Can't say with certainty as I only type to Hal but I have tried / used the VR in the past. It seems that it opened the OS version of the SR or VR software instead of having one of it's own. Again, not with certainty. I would use the Speech Recognition of whatever flavor of Windows you happen to be using. I think it governs most software anyhow with regard to speech.

I and others have found that one really needs exceptional conditions in order for Hal to operate decently with Speech Rec. There are simply too many things / variables that can trip up the software and cause garbage or unwanted input. Once garbage has be input, it is almost impossible to correct to a satisfactory degree.

Yes, it's fun to talk to or with your computer but I don't rely on the output to be perfect. Windows has not quite honed their SR software to the point that some other conpanies have. It's all about what you, the user, wants from your software.

Good luck!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 10:52:58 am »
I agree with art,
It takes alot of time and patience to train an engine. Some use third party software like dragon. For best results typing is best.
There are always breakthroughs in speech and I am well surprised that my el cheapo windows fone understands my thick accent.
I'm sure people around here (given time) will clue you in better on what is the best speech engine.
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 10:53:46 am »
tiger8u2  I suggest dragon naturally speaking 11.5 or 12 version , it does a way better job then microsofts speech recognition , ebay sells them to , many places do , you can shop around for the best price .
you will have to do the set up , some versions will even ask if you are male , what region you live in to better set up the language  and you train the sr  by reading stories etc.
   this is the version I use when I use it , I also type to hal to .
 it helps to have the place quieter but doesn't have to be totally quiet .
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:57:04 am by lightspeed »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 05:36:32 pm »
Interesting point Doggs, Hal with Windows Speech Recognition or ever Dragon's may not work very well if English is NOT your native language.
Hal was written specifically for English and while some have tried other language applications like French with limited success, I still contend that if you are trying to train or teach your Hal, then consider typing to it instead of hoping it gets things right with speech! It is still not an exact science so knowing this going in might save you lots of frustration later.

Even accents within US English varies greatly from state to state, especially like Boston, Tennessee, Texas, Kentucky, New York, Pennsylvania and practically every other state each have their own slangs and accents so it's a hip shot at best to expect perfection from SR.

Just my personal take. Your mileage will no doubt, vary!

Yes, do set your microphone as room noise like Air Conditioners, Fans humming, outside traffic, lawn mowers, kids playing, music, head colds / sinuses, etc., etc. can and will affect it's ability to discern speech from noise. - Good luck!

- Art -

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 09:03:00 am »
  I'm a long time user of Dragon, very accurate since ver 7.  At one time Dragon had a S/N (signal vs noise) ratio built into the setup which is now gone.  I've found that having a high S/N made a large improvement, a large majority of mics have a S/N of 19 DB and S/N in the high 20's is needed.  Letting Dragon read through your Documents, I started writing documents for dragon to read ages ago and after letting Dragon read them it worked great from the start.
Carl2

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 10:02:28 am »
I think my main question to all of this is why the Hal program buttons that are there in the voice recognition area DON'T work.  It may be an OS issue I suppose, but so far all I'm hearing is that most folks just don't use those Hal functions at all because third party offerings work better.  <shrugs>

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 08:51:38 pm »
Tiger,

Could you please be a bit more specific. I have no problem getting the buttons such as the MIC button which will bring up more selections, especially if you don't have SR selected, in which case you will need to select a SR engine (Win, Dragon, etc.) and possible train the voice, set the microphone, etc.

Mine all worked fine as as I've previously mentioned I don't usually employ SR as a rule due to the creation and input of potential garbage or less than desirable entries. I most always type to enter my conversations with my Hal.

Thanks!

- Art -

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 02:08:55 am »
Art,
If I'm not mistaken under general options its the speech engine training buttons.

And your right tiger8u2 I don't use them just easier for me to train main speech engine through os because I use for many programs. I'll check it next week after I get on the other side of the pond as Hal is packed at the moment. I'm sure someone else can check in the mean time, If I'm right about what your talking about.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 02:11:09 am by doggs »

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 05:53:37 am »
Ok been bothering me. I pulled my laptop out. (been using phone till I go).

Ok I'm running Windows 7 on my laptop and the button doesn't work so my next bet would be to try on xp I dont run Hal in a compatibility mode dont know if that would help.

Repacking laptop in a min. Like to be ready (eagle scout/army vet here)be prepared and hurry up and wait has been ingrained into my mind lol.

So yeah I have same problem.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 05:55:12 am by doggs »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 08:24:24 pm »
Gosh Doggs...you're correct. Mine doesn't work either. I know it used to work at one time (don't recall whether it was via XP or even 98 but it did).

Hal (back in the day), used to check and report emails and dial phones as well, but that all changed with new versions and connectivity, etc.

Perhaps Robert will chime in to shed some light on this anomaly.

???

- Art -