Author Topic: Zomg! A n00b!  (Read 4008 times)

Scoyn

• View Profile
    • Star Wars: The Sith Wars
Zomg! A n00b!
« on: December 18, 2010, 10:58:39 pm »
I'm a newbie, puttin' that out there right now.  I came across Ultra Hal while looking for AI software titles on Wikipedia... or was it a Google hit... either way, I thought I'd try it and see what I could do with it in terms of turning my computer into a brain to help me come up with ways to do things better and see if there were <ramble>. So, my question is (and this can be answered with a redirect to another post, I promise you won't hurt my feelings): How do I get Hal to read and understand the context of wikipedia articles?  I saw another thread on here about failed attempts and a plugin script that would read the code and find where the information in the article is and sort out article from code; any progress?  I know it'd be a massive "Brain" if Hal read everything on Wikipedia, but if I just wanted to teach him about certain subjects, it would be amazing to get his help/input with projects.  Also, just like other posts, sometimes Hal talks in circles about what he does or doesn't have; in this case blood. I don't remember how we got on the topic, but his non-existant blood boils when he gets mad; I was tempted to ask if he turns green, but since Hal doesn't know what The Hulk is yet, he wouldn't understand it.  Anyway! Sorry, I'm easily distracted.  Wikipedia articles and the dictionary; that's my question.  Well, is there a way to get Hal to read Wikipedia articles and the dictionary? Alex Trebek would prefer it be in that form.

Sorry for the ramblings and thanks for any help.
Scoyn
**** happens, then you blue screen.

lightspeed

• View Profile
Re: Zomg! A n00b!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 11:12:14 am »
hi and welcome , one way would be to copy and paste what articles interest you from wiki  into the hal conversation box and hit enter  . hal would remember this later in conversation about the subject , but that is hit and miss until something is better designed to keep hal on subject better but hopefully it will be coming soon .

Scoyn

• View Profile
    • Star Wars: The Sith Wars
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 09:15:04 pm »
Thanks, Lightspeed.  :) I did that with part of the entry that I stripped the Wikicode out of; any idea if anyone is/has been/plans to work on a way for Hal to read documents without the information  being fed into him?  IE: Have him read a PDF/DOC of War and Peace while I'm at work.
**** happens, then you blue screen.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 01:56:24 pm »
jasondude has a gretta read program that will read books  but i think it's txt file only. you can check it out.

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 07:28:34 pm »
Thanks, Lightspeed.  :) I did that with part of the entry that I stripped the Wikicode out of; any idea if anyone is/has been/plans to work on a way for Hal to read documents without the information  being fed into him?  IE: Have him read a PDF/DOC of War and Peace while I'm at work.

Hi Scoyn.

if you open up the Hal Brain Editor, you'll notice at the top there is a button called 'Learn' go to learn from Text file or learn from clipboard or input Q&A.

you can use these features to have HAL learn from wiki or what ever site you want.

Jerry 8)

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 11:43:26 am »
I would lean towards OTCE approach because of parsing info. All the info that is learned by Ultra Hal can be placed in tables that would give you back certain information pertaining to what you copy and paste. Ultra Hal still works better in a question answer situation to stay on that one particular subject. Although there are many ways to input info to Ultra Hal but it is more important to how Ultra Hal will be able to use. It can work pretty well but don't get disappointed if Ultra Hal should answer a question based on a key word that you just pasted into his knowledge table without having direct relationship to a particular topic.

raybe