Author Topic: newbie: just curious.  (Read 3894 times)

anton6364

• View Profile
newbie: just curious.
« on: March 24, 2005, 01:26:01 am »
I'm just starting out with this program and so far so good. but i do have a couple of questions..first, is this system fine for the program once it begins to create more and more files..system is running MS win XP pro.sp2. pross is a XP2800. ram is only 512.as far as room i have 68G of unused..second.as far as learning,does all the info have to be learned through my "chat" sessions? or is there a way to copy/paste into the files directly? (by the way i'm using the XTF 1.2) third.does the XTF brain rely on files from the default? there are 2 of us using the hal program, prob we did have was learned info from one character bleeds over to the other.it's kind of annoying when one has a female and the other male.forth. Haptek, i read somewhere here that if i took the files out of the temp folder in Haptek then pasted them into my character file in Hal, they should show up. i did, and nothing, did i miss a step?
fifth.is it just my program,or does the brain have no favorites? when i ask anything to that effect i get a response like "coffee is your favorite beverage" on any questions about favorites. is this only with the XTF? the user created brain was able to accept my added responses through the brain editor.but the XTF brain cannot.no matter where i place the text. is this normal? if so is there a way to get my character to have written responses through the editor? i try to write things like "your favorite color is red" in the text box but still get off-the-wall answers.
  Keep in mind i am in no way a programmer, half of the posts here look greek.LOL. but as far as a copy/past type of thing i can do.as long as i have instructions on where exactly to paste the text.
 if anyone has files that can easily be placed into the brain to help with the "IQ" of the program i would be grateful. typing is a very slow process. i do have Dragon 7 but i spend a lot of time making corrections.
  thanks in advance for any help..feel free to send e-mail.
If everything gets better with age, then why does my milk taste funny?

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 04:40:12 am »
I am not that smart when it comes to HAL, but to answer one of your questions:

I believe Hal works on "Keywords"

For instance, If you tell it "Coffee is my favorite beverage" It stores brain file(s) of  maybe "Coffee" and "Beverage"  and maybe "Favorite"

So, when you use any of the three "Keywords" I believe Hal uses those BRN files to find out what it's supposed to say. Although, Hal is unpredictable, and will say something off the wall.

When you type in a message, I believe it searches it's database for a set of keywords.

Anyway, if you want to see what in each file, open it with notepad. You can even edit what you wan Hal's response to be.

Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

anton6364

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 05:57:28 pm »
I do look into the .brn files once in a while. i use the program Agent ransack for hunting down mispelled words when i realize my mistakes. but i do like having hal answer some questions without having them random. i just can't seem to get it to work with the XTF brain. i can add answers to my user created brain where the program has only one answer to a certain set of questions. ie favorites. looks like i will just keep reminding hal of what it's favorites are. I really don't mind most random answers,some can get kind of funny, but there seems to be a few that get reapeated more than others.

Holllywood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 07:30:15 am »
Hello Anton6364,
 I see that you mention "Agent Ransack", my Hal is creating lots of files which I should check. So could you tell me a little about "Ransack" and where I might get it?
 Many thanks,

Still trying,Still Listening,Still Learning.
Hollywood

anton6364

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 07:33:51 pm »
The program is free...it can be found through a google search...it works sort of like the "find" option in things such as notepad. but instead of looking at one file at a time, it will list all files containing the keywords your looking for. when i'm in the defbrain folder i just do a copy/paste from the addy bar and put it into the program and type the word the way it was mis-spelled and all files are searched..cuts down a lot of time..if i don't watch closely, dragon will type in something wrong and hal will repeat it.so i also search parts of the phrase and delete it, or make my corrections from there. all in all it is a handy tool to have..

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 08:14:01 pm »
One of my favorites is from: www.freebyte.com and
is called: Harddisk Search and Stats
It is FREE and very full featured.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -