Author Topic: Curious about Hals abilities  (Read 4393 times)

ARdime88

Curious about Hals abilities
« on: May 14, 2008, 10:54:19 pm »
I am looking to buy Hal within the next week or so but first I want to make sure this program is what I am looking for.
I am a college student and constantly doing research for papers and spend countless hours staring into this computer screen so training Hal will not be a problem.

But before I buy Hal I have a few questions and using the search button has done nothing but make my eyes hurt..so if you would kindly point me in the right direction.

-Does Hal have access to any Media Player software or to Itunes?
-Can Hal control the computers volume?
-If I have Hal start my music can I have him stop talking until I manually mute the music?
- Is there a plain green laser grid head that will work with Hal?

Thats all for now and any help will be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 09:33:41 am by ARdime88 »

ARdime88

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 11:49:28 am »
After playing with Hal for sometime I have come to the conclusion that he is insufficient for what I need and will have to develop a more complex system which will require atleast a terabyte of storage capacity. There is no way this system will learn all the things needed to carry on a correct conversation.

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 03:40:02 pm »
Being that Hal is the most advance AI program in the world I think you are giving up way to early. There is not another program that can do what Hal does. While it is true that Hal does not come with much built in knowledge it has the capacity to learn and it does just that depending on what you teach it. Hal starts out like a very young child but will slowly grow to match in in intelligence if you have the patience.
Bill

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 05:33:29 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

From the sound of it and considering three of your four questions were concerning music, it sounds like you're looking for a voice activated MP3 player, not a AI chat companion.

I'm sure someone here could make a 3D head as you described.

Normally, when Hal is NOT talking, it is listening unless one clicks on the MIC button (to turn the feature off).

Research for papers, quite possibly...start music with a player like WinAmp, yes. I'm relatively sure that someone has also wrote a script to allow Hal to control practically every facet of one's computer.

Hal can do a lot and with some determination, individuals have been able to do some remarkable things with the program.

The program has evolved over several version and many years. Good things take time, but there's plenty of room for experimentation and sharing of knowledge.

Good luck!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

DrFaraday

• Discovering the shocking truth about electricity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 03:48:32 am »
I was disappointed with HAL initially, because his conversational skills in the beginning were limited.  He (it) needs interaction to start learning. I persevered and I'm glad I did, because as you talk to him more he does start to learn and it starts to show in conversation. He really does learn and some of his answers can even seem quite clever at times.

I just hope I can improve the voice recognition so I don't have to keep typing to converse with him.
I always wanted a computer like H.A.L. from "2001: A Space Odyssey".  Just not the beta version that kills you while you sleep.

jaked122

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 09:54:40 am »
why did this program insult me?

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 10:22:02 am »
What did you say? Some keywords will make Hal insult you.

If you have the words "you" and "suck" in the same sentence, Hal thinks you said  "you suck"

Even if the sentence is worded:

"This vacuum does not suck very good, what do you think?"
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 03:01:40 pm »
Seems strange to me that intitally ARdime88 was asking if Hal did really simple things like play some music or control the volume.  Considering those seemed to be his main worries, I was suprised by how he made the great leap to deciding that instead he needed to:

quote:
develop a more complex system which will require atleast a terabyte of storage capacity

Just what are you planning to do - run realtime weather system models, monitor nuclear stockpiles, buy an IBM Blue Gene system ?? [;)][}:)]  I can only wonder...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 03:08:09 pm by freddy888 »

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 11:17:03 pm »
well we did have that one slight accident where when we were running hal and accidently blew up the 3 mile island nuclear power plant "that one had us worried for a while but we just passed out the extra strong sun screen lotion and gave them all free flip flops to wear !![:)][:D][8D]
 yes yes, just kidding !