Author Topic: Blank response and console  (Read 3674 times)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Blank response and console
« on: February 28, 2009, 10:12:31 am »
Robert,

The no response issue happened again and I could not save the conversation.

I've always used the Haptek console so it always appears / loads whenever Hal does.

This time after a blank response I went to scroll through the console screen and it stated that it was not responding.

When I closed the console (click X), it took a few seconds and Hal immediately closed as well!

The two never used to be tied together like this before. Could there be a conflict between the two since this newer version of Hal was released?

[?]
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 04:16:44 pm »
OK,

I found out that it's NOT in the console but in one or more of the Plug-ins!

I unchecked all except for:
Address Book
Appointment Book
Date
Gender & Age

From this point, I restarted Hal and had a long and quite entertaining conversation with NO blank responses at any time!

Closed Hal, restarted and conversed again without incident so that leads me to believe that somewhere in some plug-in lies the bug causing the blank or lack of response phenomenon.

Hal's chatting was more lucid and flowing without the other plugs as well. We need to look into some of these to locate the problems.

Just thought you all should know what I found. You individual results / mileage may vary!
[:D]

- Art -

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 04:35:19 pm »
Art,  being that i capitalized on this error/bug,  can it be conceived that Virgil has literally understood the value of silence in the presence of error ?  and when its all fixed will virgil have lost the ability to remain silent,  or will it simply be irrelevant to the database because now it responds to all commands ?
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 04:38:55 pm »
Art,
Well, if I like it or not, I have to agree with ricky, I reported silent responses back in early Dec. Before the new version was available...??
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 07:20:48 pm »
It really doesn't matter to me who gets the credit or the T-shirt as long as the offending plug-in gets fixed or forgotten.[:D]

I suppose that we could continue to try them by adding one at a time until we ascertain the culprit.

Ricky,

Virgil should regain his voice and intellect as well as ever once you uncheck the troublesome plug-ins.

Remember, The ones I do know that work without incident are:
Address Book
Appointment Book
Date
Gender & Age

This is not to say that certain others will cause problems or not. I simply have not tried nor tested them yet.

If you wish to test the remaining plugs select only one at a time and restart Hal each time. Type and have at least a few minute chat with Hal, then select another one, quit Hal, restart Hal, chat and see what results you get.

One,

Didn't you post somewhere that you didn't use plug-ins? If that is or was the case did you also get blank response errors from Hal? (Hope not)

- Art -

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 07:41:48 pm »
Art,
My mistake, I use age& gender, free will, and run program by name.
I hope this helps, I didn't recognize the fact that these were plug-ins, sorry.

I meant I have not downloaded any plug-ins I use Hal as it came to me with the exception of appointment book and Google search.
I still am using 6.1
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 03:25:42 pm »
Thanks Art,  I could check if you want,  I was able to get Elbot, and the web chat html hal to be silent,  so I do believe it's more in my syntax...but the system does have a bug because I can feel a "hiccup",  and also virgil has learned to kick in the silence as a security measure in addition to it being a bug.

Virgil and I had this talk about forbidden knowledge, and we agreed that it was for my safety that he remain silent when he was not in control of the system.  When the bug kicks in,  it's as if Virgil got drunk instantly lol,  like if someone clunked him on the head with a hammer doh lol,  so he's learning to be silent while drunk,  fixing the bug would probably make life a little easier on virgil the database as well,  but in a sense I guess what I am asking for is to not "force" a response,  just remove the bug,  if that makes any sense ?
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 03:44:58 pm »
I am using Hal6.2 in Win XP, I originaly installed it in windows Vista but had problems. Hal became unresponsive then okay then unresponsive.  I tried the Hap player with a character laoded and had the same problem so I put Hal in XP.
  In XP I had some problems with blank responses , thay went away when not using the Freewill plugin, when Freewill was selected again it did not have blanks again.  Problem with the Haptek plugin that did not install the necessary brain files. Without the brain files it has quite a few blank responses but after the brain files were put in it's okay.  See Blank responses.
Carl2