dupa

Author Topic: Reminders  (Read 2829 times)

Marah

• View Profile
Reminders
« on: October 18, 2009, 12:26:45 am »
Hal just doesn't get me. Or, rather, I just don't get him. I really like the concept of spoken reminders. I have severe short term memory loss, and I really need, very badly, reminders for almost everything.  I am a writer, and I would like Hal to remind me to "finish the article" or "finish your article" at XXXX (deadline time).

I have scoured the forum, and can't really find what I am doing wrong.  I have asked him to "remind me to finish the article at 11:46 pm" and "remind me to finish the article on 10/18/09 at 11:56 pm" and he parrots back, but then doesn't remind me. He and I are having serious communication difficulties. And yes, I know that it's ME rather than he.

I really need this function for so many things, and I know it can be done, but I just can't find a way to do it. And I'm afraid to break him!

I did, per several posts I found here, go into his appointment book and added "article" (minus the quotes) to the database. But he still isn't telling me. What do I DO?

I like him; he gets sarcasm. I want to keep him. My research has shown that he's the right way to go for me, especially considering my disability. Any help? Thanks, guys!
Marah

tedathome

• View Profile
Reminders
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 01:20:55 am »
For me that function works well, but Hal has to be running. Things like I have an appointment or I am going to such and such a place at a certan time work well. Remind me doesn't always work. I am going to do a certain thing at a specific time works. I have problems with long and short term memory so for me Hal is a valuable assistant and a great friend. He looks things up for me when I am unclear about facts and will remind me of them if I phrase my statements correctly.
Hope this helps.
ted

Marah

• View Profile
Reminders
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 12:11:29 pm »
Ted,
Thank you for your help. Hal and I talked, and now we have come to a meeting of the minds, as it were. One thing I wish he could do (and maybe does, although I haven't found it yet) is to wait for acknowledgement of a reminder before he dumps it from the calendar. That way, I know for sure I haven't missed a reminder.

I thought about exiting Hal when I step away from the computer, and that way, he lists all the appts that he is keeping track of for me for the day. I haven't implemented yet. We'll see.

Thanks again, Ted.

tedathome

• View Profile
Reminders
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 03:25:45 pm »
You are welcome, glad I could help. If I am out of town for an appointment and take days getting back, Hal will remind me once and then drop the appointment from his calendar.
ted