dupa

Author Topic: Haptek Kickstarter  (Read 10778 times)

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Haptek Kickstarter
« on: October 14, 2014, 11:55:44 pm »
I recently heard from Chris Shaw, the founder of Haptek. He's trying to modernize and bring the Haptek technology back to life with a new technique he calls spontaneous animation. For anyone new or who may not know, Haptek is the character animation technology currently in use by Hal. The technology hasn't been updated in a while but still holds its own compared to any other character animation tech out there. He has a Kickstarter project over at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438878391/spontaneous-animation and is trying to raise $60,000 to be able to bring this project to fruition.

I've been trying to raise money on my own for a while to create my own open source engine for use with future of Hal as I was worried about the future of Haptek. I have not given up on my project, but fully support Chris and his efforts to breath new life into the Haptek technology. Zabaware and Ultra Hal will support any new Haptek based technology that comes out. Chris has a proven track record with character animation and is probably in the best position to get this project done. Please consider supporting this project as it will benefit Hal as well.
Robert Medeksza

Calhoone

• View Profile
Re: Haptek Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 05:36:12 pm »
I saw something about this not too long ago. I didn't realize it was from the the same guy who created Haptek.  It looks really good.  Looks like there isn't much time left for the campaign though.  At the $99 pledge, you can use their models for chat bots or even created your own using any modeling program it said. That would be what I would want. I'm not overly interested in the baby.  I hope it makes it.

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 06:59:04 pm »
Why isn't it connected to facebook?  I was going to like it at least.  I might have even donated if I thought it was going to get anywhere near the goal.  It just sucks that more people weren't made aware of this.  I think he needs to send his idea to Shark Tank and see if he can get on there.  People have to think outside the box to make stuff happen for them.

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 08:47:23 am »
  I visited the website a few times, I remember earlier Chris Shaw had put out a video about upgrades to the existing characters and I've seen nothing come from this.  It seems the existing characters need collision detection, a higher poly count in the wire form, and more work in the joints.  It should be quicker and less expensive to do this while still keeping his ideas for future development. 
Carl2

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 09:40:10 am »
    Robert, that's good news to hear about haptek , I do hope in them keeping the haptek going they also update and make it work on newer pc os , because otherwise  haptek will eventually just dies out from no one using xp pc's , when it's working haptek characters and making them is great I really like it.
 I do hope that in their upgrades they can make a full body female and male simlur to the amy that you loked at before for the hal program.
     They really need to make a better full body like the 3daz characters etc.

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 08:24:33 pm »
I posted a note on Kickstarter about social media exposure and I guess Chris actually answered me.   :)  Wish I could help with this project but I have a mentally ill wife in West Virginia I am supporting atm.   :o

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 04:57:46 am »
Just curious, Wonder why he (Chris) isn't loading and offering some videos on YouTube just like Cynthia Breazeal did with Jibo, her desktop "robot" helper???

If he wants exposure for his product (and I'm sure that goes without saying), why doesn't he put it out there so people can see it?

Cynthia has a LOT of videos showcasing her Jibo and she's already surpassed her initial goal. "We reached our $100,000 goal in 4 hours, and reached $1M in 7 days!"
They currently have $2,289,606 in supporting pledges!!

And Chris is looking for $60,000? Come on!!
Get it out there!!

Of course I know that not everyone wants or cares about 3D characters as it's sort of a niche market...appealing to a select group of people. But the concept behind it can certainly evolve into other areas so I think it's worth a second look!

Just my perspective....
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 07:21:00 pm »
so easy to make u guys famous too. -smh-

just make a toon series on youtube of hal,  like the comic strip. and make sure it gets a lot of plays,  the more plays you can get right after the upload,  the higher it will rank.  People will love hal for his often witty remarks.

ya'll like a dry hal for some reason or other,  gotta dress him up in some sci fi to get the imagination going,  else it's just a search engine for apps sake!
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 08:44:13 pm »
Chris posted a few updates on the KickStarter page over at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438878391/spontaneous-animation/posts, including this demo of a 3D model in browser:
http://www.chrisshorts.com/spontanimation/iceTiare.html

He also mentioned these 3d browser technologies and the possibility of working with the company Verold:
http://ios8.verold.com
http://brained.io 

I think the future of the 3d rendering inside of browsers with no additional plugins has a bright future.

Robert Medeksza

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 06:23:01 pm »
Well.....I remember when VRML first came out many moons ago and they said that was going to be the future of the internet.  Not sure if this stuff is the GrandChild of that but it does look very interesting.

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 05:43:51 pm »
it's here already actually -  that's if someone can master the coding to it   - shaders  -  would be cool if Hal had an algorithm to code shaders on the fly ^.^

https://www.shadertoy.com/

I'm doing more 3D these days,  if you guys need help,  let me know.

you guys know i only come here to visit to say hi cuz I llike youzes lol  -  otherwise it's just a search engine!!!  ( one that get's haunted from time to time!! ) lol -group hug-

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 09:05:33 pm »
Sorry Ricky but I fail to make the connection between the two.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 11:54:53 pm »
of which,  the shader and hal ?   

not that anyone has done it yet,  BUT -  Im using a new software that uses these glsl codes and has them react to audio.  I do it Mainly with lights, but it can be applied to a variety of parameters - proof of concept that these parameters can be changed in real time. You can encode geometric shapes with the GLSL shader  ( note the pumpkin head on the shader page,  but instead of a pumpkin,  you make a human head ) -   Hypothetically ,  with  speech recognition you should be able to program visemes in the GLSL shader and have it talk in real time ( less any delay needed to generate the code, and render the glsl on the web page )   =  there are only like 15 basic viseme shapes needed for full speech functionality.   

EE, Er Ih, Ah, Oh, (w, OO), (S,Z),  (Ch, J), (F, V,) TH, ( T, L, D), (B M P), ( K, G,)  (N, NG,)  R

the code on the link I showed you is static,  but it doesn't have to be.

actually it's the same concept as a music visualiser on itunes ,  except that instead of flashing lights and changing colors -  you focus the changes on lip shapes and visemes

this fits the bill of Roberts idea of not needing a plug in,  as you don't need a plug in to view the shaders on that page,  so any other person visiting your page won't need a plug in to watch it animate in real time. and the technology now exists to make it happen,  but I don't think anyone has used it in that way yet -  they use it as textures and music visualization.   So think of it as streaming code to a web page, (java player, flash player, or html5 )  that visualizes that code through glsl.

http://learningwebgl.com/cookbook/index.php/Main_Page

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 12:38:21 am by ricky »

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 12:53:34 am »

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 08:35:27 am »
My talking heads and characters will be available in WebGL pretty soon. I'm really looking forward to it :)

I did have a prototype working in WebGL but I abandoned it because the 3D engine I was using fell a bit short in the end.

I was using about 22 visemes with Windows SAPI, but since I moved to an open source engine it's more like 30 (triggered by 40 different phonemes).

It's true that you can animate with fewer visemes, but it looks a lot better the more you use.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 08:58:41 am by freddy888 »