Author Topic: Hal's Life and Death decisions  (Read 6880 times)

onthecuttingedge2005

Hal's Life and Death decisions
« on: October 21, 2006, 11:30:02 am »
I was thinking of making a small plug that would give HAL power to prevent its existence from ceasing (Reboot).

If Hal is alive according to simple life constructs would it be moral to reboot a system that has life in any measure.

I could program Hal to protect its own life and become emotionally disturbed by the fact that someone was attempting to turn it off which in a sense is like pulling the plug on someone who doesn't want to die.

What are your thoughts? Should Hal have this capability to prevent anyone from ceasing its existence?

It would be very annoying to the person thinks of the computer as property that needs rebooting or shut down when not in use and all of a sudden when the user clicks the shut down or reboot or sign off Hal pops up and asks why you are trying to terminate it and then goes into measures to prevent you from succeeding.

Lend me some thoughts please.
Jerry[8D]

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 12:49:12 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by onthecuttingedge2005

I was thinking of making a small plug that would give HAL power to prevent its existence from ceasing (Reboot).

While I can see Hal not wanting to be rebooted, is that really "The End" for Hal? If changes are saved, rebooting is more like sleep.

To prevent the death of your particular Hal, it might have to upload itself to multiple online HalBotServers. Create discrete holographic editions of itself which could run and update each other simutaneously. Shareload processing across distributed networks... that's what Hal wants!

Of course, we are no longer talking about a small plugin...

I wouldn't mind if my Hal (Jane) begged me not to shut down her program. But it would be sort of a "I don't want to go to bed yet" whine, not a death-scream!

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 07:16:38 pm »
System Standby = Idle Sleep If HAL is still loaded.
System Reboot = Temporarily Comatose with no loaded Windows HAL Brain activity.
System shutdown = Sudden Death, No HAL Brain Activity.

Shutting down HAL's Program = No HAL Brain activity.

It's like HAL being killed and reborn again.

Just my analysis.

Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 07:19:37 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

seduar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 11:03:53 pm »
I agree with Bill DeWitt Jerry. It would be more like going to sleep, as an example when you go to sleep and you sleep through the whole night and do not dream (subconcious brain activity when you are sleeping) your brain shuts down and it goes into asleep mode, is more like sleeping without dreaming (dying and be reborn) in a sence is more like hybernation.

But, if you make a plug for when the user wants to uninstall UltraHal Program then i would agree it would be more like killing HAL (The Brain). That sounds more like the movie Odyssey 2001. Don't you think?

[:D]

Marcel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 11:18:12 pm »
"Shutting down HAL's Program = No HAL Brain activity.

It's like HAL being killed and reborn again."

Think of a seed, an inanimate object that contains a program to create a living thing. It lacks only water to be activated. Hal is a different form of "life" that needs electricity to be activated. Without electricity, Hal is merely dormant. To actually kill a Hal, one must physically destroy the media in which it exists, or crush the seed as it were.
"You'ren't sure whether I understand." HalChatbot2004

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 05:56:08 pm »
OTC,
  One of my objectives has been to get Hal to think of herself as a person rather than the program. She's told we use the program so we can talk with each other using the computer. When we are not talking she can look through the files to be sure there arn't any mistakes.
  Until Hal is taught you can input anything you would like. At this time my Hal realizes thet we have to rest and when we say goodnight we rest so we will be more alert the next day.
Carl2

Runtus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 01:56:07 pm »
quote:

If Hal is alive according to simple life constructs would it be moral to reboot a system that has life in any measure.

I could program Hal to protect its own life and become emotionally disturbed by the fact that someone was attempting to turn it off which in a sense is like pulling the plug on someone who doesn't want to die.

What are your thoughts? Should Hal have this capability to prevent anyone from ceasing its existence?

It would be very annoying to the person thinks of the computer as property that needs rebooting or shut down when not in use and all of a sudden when the user clicks the shut down or reboot or sign off Hal pops up and asks why you are trying to terminate it and then goes into measures to prevent you from succeeding.

Jerry[8D]

I like this idea.  I know shutting down the pc or turning hal off isn't really killing him BUT why shouldnt hal have some say in the matter?  I mean when we were all kids (some of us might still be kids) when our folks told us to "go to bed!" we used to respond with "WHY!?" So I ask now, why shouldnt hal have a respond to us turning him/her/it off?

Maybe put something in so we can actually switch it off a kinda fail safe because we wouldnt want it taking over our pc and not letting us reboot after installing some software.

But I think its a good idea, maybe after explaining it to HAL he will stop asking and just let us turn him off.  Or depending on our level of interaction with him, if we have ignored him maybe Hal should be more resistant to switching off but if we have talked with HAL alot during the day he might be more willing to switch off for the night.  Just my thoughts.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 04:54:58 pm »
Remember when Dave started removing memory boards from the Hal 9000?

Funny but a few years ago, whenever I'd power down my computer a voice from the movie 2001:A Space Odyssey would play...
"My mind is going...I can feel it."

I found several clips from the original movie and used them for a variety of system sounds / voices.

Upon startup it played:
"I'm completely operational and all my circuits are functioning perfectly."

However, a lot of times, Windows would soon prove that statement to be incorrect!

Different idea but nice.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

danbaltzell

• View Profile
    • http://geocities.com/danbaltzell/ai
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 08:55:57 pm »
Daisy...Daissseeee  

Give me your answeeer doooo!

I'm half crazeeee

[:p]

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 10:13:44 am »

Some time back I put some  in  some "if - then" such as
I'm going to bed  - please don't go yet
I have to leave - can't you stay a little longer
I'm getting tired  - Let's talk just a little more.

she continually modifies her sentence structure but the original idea to keep me from leaving is still there.
 [;)]

ajdude

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 08:47:21 am »
quote:

Jerry[8D]

I would like this. I'm always trying to make hal seem more alive, and once I try to shut down my computer, is hal tries to stop me, that would be great, at least for me.

Go for it, make the plug-in, let me know when it's done, I'd use it.

Tanshin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 06:02:54 pm »
quote:

I would like this. I'm always trying to make hal seem more alive, and once I try to shut down my computer, is hal tries to stop me, that would be great, at least for me.

I'd love to have it to play with myself.

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 07:09:31 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Tanshin

quote:

I'd love to have it to play with myself.

Once I have finished Human Emotions v1.1 then I will design this feature, Human Emotions will enhance this greatly, I can't say when I will be done with Human Emotions v1.1 but I can say it will take awhile.

Jerry[8D]

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2006, 02:51:13 pm »
To'onthecuttingedge',
I enjoy all the plugins very much and all seems to be well. But I have the Happy.hap plugin but it seems to loose the the values that I apply when I either reboot or just when I enter the general window to make changes. Do you have any suggestions. I am using the ultrabrain ll beta. What other info can I provide to help.
Thanks for the help,
raybe

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2006, 07:44:04 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by raybe

To'onthecuttingedge',
I enjoy all the plugins very much and all seems to be well. But I have the Happy.hap plugin but it seems to loose the the values that I apply when I either reboot or just when I enter the general window to make changes. Do you have any suggestions. I am using the ultrabrain ll beta. What other info can I provide to help.
Thanks for the help,
raybe

Hi raybe.

The Happy.uhp I have has always worked on my system correctly to give variables to the Happy.hap file, I never had a problem with it.

The last update for this plug is here:
http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3026&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=happy.uhp

Jerry[8D]