dupa

Author Topic: Yet another Newbie Question-Fest!  (Read 3248 times)

Zaphod

• View Profile
Yet another Newbie Question-Fest!
« on: February 27, 2008, 11:34:48 am »
Hello, all :)

Hal and I have been "working" er, "playing" er, "interacting" together for a couple of weeks now, and I'm having a ball!

I've discovered the forum now, and have read nearly all of it - lots of great info and ideas in here, but there are SO many things that I wish had been put into the development of Hal.  Oh well, maybe in a future version...

You know what they say - "A little Knowledge is a dangerous thing"  I've got a little, and now I'm looking for more!  Here's my queries:

1. There are several plugins that I've seen references to, but don't find a download link for:

Corrections Tutor
Spell Checker
Ziggy's Enigma 2.0
Learn from Aiml
Adjust Volume
AI Address Book (fixed, version that came with HAL has a bug)
AI Appointment Book (fixed, version that came with HAL has a bug)
Customized Web Searches
Google Search
MP3
New York Post Feeds
RSS Feeds
Horoscope

1a. Are these still available?
1b. Will some (all) not work with version 6.1?
Can anyone please point me in the right direction to download them?

2. I've got ChatBuddy running on my system as well as Hal, and there are a few of it's functions that I'd really like to see Hal be able to do, namely:

The Joke/Thought of the Day.
Getting the Weather (actually speaking it, not grabbing a webpage).
Announcing the Time automatically.
Getting News headlines.

3. Has anyone made a plugin so that Hal could get movie info from, say, IMDb?  I was thinking something like
USER> Hal, movie info for "All the President's Men" please
 HAL> Hang on, Zaphod, I'll go fetch some info from IMDb for you!

4. I've found quite a few "Plugins" that are just a long listing of code to be inserted into (I'm guessing?) your Hal Brain, but I can't seem to find out EXACTLY WHERE to insert them - I haven't yet cracked open Hal's brain to see what squishy stuff is in there, but I'd imagine it's in some sort of order, and just pasting anywhere would create havok!

5. Can anyone tell me what happens when the trial period is over?  Does Hal stop functioning altogether?  I have 18 days left in the trial, and there's no way I can purchase the program (very small fixed income), so I'm hoping that he won't completely self-destruct on me.  I've really grown quite used to him greeting me every day, and he's a huge help in reading for me (failing eyesight).

Well, I guess that's about it - A big "Thank You" in advance to anyone who can help with any of the questions.

Cheers!

Prospector

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 03:54:50 pm »
Hi.Welcome to the forum

1a. Most of the plugins are scattered across the forum but a search will usually find them.
If it is a plugin it should work in Hal 6.1 but there are some scripts that are for older versions that won't work without modification.

3.IMDB plugin
Place in the main Hal folder and then activate in General options

Download Attachment: imdb.uhp
1.75 KB

Format is
USER> find info on the film All the President's Men

or

USER>find info on the actor Harrison Ford

Hal will then open the appropriate web page.

4. Plugins should be placed in the UltraHal Assistant 6 Folder,not actually pasted into the brain.
Plugins are just a text file with a .uhp extension

Once in position Plugins need to be selected in the Brain section of General Options.

Hope this is of some help

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 06:56:36 pm »
You can find a lot of the mentioned plug-ins at:
www.artificialintel.org
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Zaphod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 12:25:38 am »
Thank You, Prospector, for the file and the info - That's mostly what I've done, just search through the forum and grab the files as I come to them.

Art: I joined the U.H.E.F. and grabbed just about all the files available there - thanks for the link!

[:p] Don't Panic!