Author Topic: Hal tips  (Read 7088 times)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hal tips
« on: March 09, 2013, 11:28:06 am »
A while back I mentioned that my Hal was sluggish and typing text had even become a chore due to a time lag.

Well, that was then and this is now.

I have a Quad core (single processor but with 8 logical processors contained), running Windows 7 - 64 bit, 8 GB's Ram and a 1 TB Hard Drive.

I was running Ultra Hal and brought up the Task Manager (Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete).

Under Processes, I selected the Hal program.

Right Click to open drop down menu

I selected SET AFFINITY
I saw a small window and
Which Processors are allowed to run?
There were check boxes for ALL then 0 to 7 (for a total of 8 with zero counting as the first one).

To my surprise ALL 8 were checked!

I unchecked all but 0 and 1 (for a total of only two logical processors).

I closed and went back to Hal which was still running.

The lag was totally gone! The Character moved freely with the mouse and all of my text could readily be seen as soon as each key was typed.

Things went as nicely and smoothly as they did when I ran Hal on my old XP set!
I even turned on a few more plug-ins and things still continued to work as smooth as silk!

Just for the "fun" of it and while unrelated, I ran Firefox and performed the same actions in the Task Manager as I did with Hal because Firefox also had all 8 processors checked!! No wonder things lagged.

For some reason the thought had bypassed me during all this time and I never gave any consideration that something like this could actually be robbing some of my programs from performing at their best.
I'm sure some of the more informed hardware gurus out there might offer some explanations but for now, I thought I'd share this with you in case any of you were experiencing difficulties within your own systems.

What a relief.

Also some have inquired about Hal's Auto Response of 5 seconds. This can be turned off by choosing NOT to use the Speech Recognition feature (which I do not use anyway) in the Main Menu settings.

Enjoy a smoother, faster Hal...I know I am!!

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

cload

• I can C U load. TeeHee hee.
    • View Profile
    • A link to my sky Drive
Re: Hal tips
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 02:37:40 pm »
Hi Art,
I had a similar problem, with two conflicting programs.
Most programs that do not use dual core processing, sometimes interferes with each other slowing your computer down.
If you open up your resource manager, you will see that some of your CPU processors are parked.
This is not a bad thing, this is actually a good thing, because most software that is written for a single core, like ultra Hal, you can assign a parked processor to ultra Hal.
I highly recommend that you do not use the numbers 0 processor, because the number 0 processor is used by the entire computer, like a traffic light directing traffic.
The more stress you put on the numbers 0 processor the slower your computer operates. Though I have an i7 dual quad it is only operating at 1.6 GHz.
Which means, according to ultra Hal my computer is only operating at 1.6 GHz using one processor. That's pretty slow, it's like an Intel 4 processor, operating at 1.6 GHz which is slow even for an Intel 4 processor which most of them were 2.5 GHz to 3 GHz.
By shifting ultra Hal to use processor 1 which is in park by deflect my Windows 7 you can increase the performance of your ultra Hal.
But remember, even though I have eight processors I still only have two cores. The other program that I use at the same time as ultra Hal I put on processor 2 so ultra Hal is working on core 0 and the other program is working on core 1.
Why does Windows 7 Park my second core, there are programs out there that use multicore even though I have 8 processors I still only have 2 cores which are 2 quads.
And when a program that uses multicore need the support for more speed it sends that information to a second processor, so in essence this is what you are doing by assigning ultra Hal to utilize processor 0 or 1.
When you told Windows to use processor 0 and processor 1 what you were doing was assigning one of your course or the other core to do the process, so if you assign specifically one of your course you will get even better results and do not put it on processor 0.
This was information that I got from the Internet when I was wondering why four of my processors was in park mode and not being used. Park mode is primarily used for software like Dragon NaturallySpeaking which when needing more processing power calls for a parked processor to help with its processing.

Sincerely, and I hope I have helped in some small little way, crunch munching.
C load
PS if I was wanting more cores I would have to move up to i9 which has 4 quads or 16 processors or and i12 which has 6 quads 24 processors. But when it comes down to programs that do not use multicore the gigahertz of your computer is the true speed at which the program is running, not the computer. And remember all software that does not use multicore by deflect uses processor zero, jamming everything into processors 0. So if you have games, or other programs that were written for a single core processor, like old games you will get a better performance to assign it to a parked processor, and preferably you put it on your second core which is usually part by deflect.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 02:50:12 pm by cload »
For anyone who would like to help me stay online, my T-mobile broadband pay-as-you-go phone number is: 816-248-4335, thank you in advance.

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 09:06:17 am »
  In Win 7 the Hal program worked okay except that the fleshy charcters I perfered Had movement problems related to audio interference.  If I opened a hal character I had to frist open the Car.exe to limit the processors being used or the player would be unresponsive.  Ages ago at Datahope's site Hal was tested in Win 8 and the audio problem was fixed.  You both have brought up useful info that should be useful to others.  I'm still trying to get hal to set goals.
Carl2

cload

• View Profile
    • A link to my sky Drive
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 02:28:08 pm »
Hi all,

one thing that I forgot to mention, once you set up your program to work on a specific CPU processor, if you shut down the program or the computer and restart it again, you will have to reset your CPU for that particular program to function in the specific processor that you desire it to run in.
I've never been able to get programs to stay functioning in a specific processor that I select, but for me it's not that big of a thing, the two programs that I have that have a slight conflict with each other I only run together every once in a while, and I only have one game, total annihilation, that I need to set it to run in my number one processor versus it trying to run and all of my processor.
Basically because if you have a program that is 32-bit that was originally program to run on the computer that only has one processor, what happens is the information from the computer that is flowing through the processor is duplicated in all of your processors slowing the game down instead of speeding it up.
By assigning only one processor you eliminate this problem than the game or program will function properly and run in the fashion it was originally program to function in.
If anyone has any information on how to assign a processor permanently, I'm all ears.
Sincerely, total annihilation may be an old game, but it is fun, and if you've ever played the game and would like to make it a challenge tried taking on nine enemies that are combined together at the same time, I have only beaten the game 4 or 5 times doing it this away.
C load.
For anyone who would like to help me stay online, my T-mobile broadband pay-as-you-go phone number is: 816-248-4335, thank you in advance.

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 11:03:15 pm »
Hal 6.2.28 is set to automatically set its processor affinity to a single core. Do you have this version and are you finding it is not set and you have to set it yourself to get Haptek animation to work?
Robert Medeksza

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 11:09:29 am »

Hal Windows also fixed automatically for ages.
The stand-alone haptek window not fixed.
An idea to fix is here:   http://forum.emergency-planet.com/index.php?/topic/9704-how-to-run-the-game-on-one-core/
but I'm still on XP.

cload

• View Profile
    • A link to my sky Drive
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 12:57:58 pm »
HI ROB,

WHEN I start my ultra Hal, she is running on one processor, processor zero as ultra Hal is supposed to be running, I have no conflict with Haptek.
It's not ultra Hal that causes my problem it's the other program, so I set ultra Hal on processor one and things are all good.
The sad part is I cannot get Windows to keep ultra Hal on processor one, I have to manually do it each time I want to run the other program.
Sincerely, but it's really no biggie, I was hoping that maybe someone knew how to get Windows to permanently assigned processor 1 to ultra Hal.
C load

cload

• View Profile
    • A link to my sky Drive
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 01:32:23 pm »
Hi Duskrider,

the batch file look promising, unfortunately it still puts it in processor zero, the only thing that the batch file does is to force the program to use one processor, but you cannot assign a specific processor with the batch file.
Sincerely, but that's okay, I'll just have to do it manually and live with it. Tee hee hee.
C load.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 06:14:26 pm »
@ Robert,

For some reason my version is 6.2.0.22

Must have missed / overlooked an upgrade somewhere along the line.

(no wonder the affinity was incorrectly set.)
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -