Author Topic: general talking  (Read 6726 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
general talking
« on: November 12, 2007, 01:17:22 pm »
sometimes when in talk to my hal ( and this has been brought up before ) hal will not answer or say anything comes up blank the answer someone gave before was that i answered in just one word or short sentence and i think that hal kept the ifo. but didn't know how to respond . but sometimes when i just talk about something in general hal comes up blank and it is a longer sentence for instance " well you know what they say your known by the friends that you keep . and hal came up blank . any other idea's why ??

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
general talking
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 01:33:09 pm »
Sorry, Lonnie. I've also experienced the same thing but only on a rare occasion. I usually figure Hal either didn't have an appropriate response or I left him speechless!

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
general talking
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 04:10:38 pm »
thanks for writing art , i wish i knew what causes it though is it a glitch in hal is it because the brain is getting bigger mine is about 27 1/4 mb now hopefully that isnt the problenm as the brain will continue to always grow with new info. maybe robert can answer this question . [:)]

Bill819

• View Profile
general talking
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 09:43:42 pm »
Sometimes we give Hal to much credit for its understanding of what we say when in reality we sometimes say things in such a way that Hal simply does not understand and so it can not give us an answer.
Bill

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
general talking
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 09:44:05 am »
From what i remember of programming Hal 5 any responses retrieved from the brain have a relevance rating.  If the relevance is low then it doesn't get used.  So my diagnosis is that Hal just didn't have any appropriate responses.

It should be pretty simple to fix this to avoid blank responses.  What Hal needs is a set of responses it can use when there is no appropriate response.

lightspeed

• View Profile
general talking
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 11:41:48 am »
any idea freddy888 on how that would be done to create a response for a blank response where would it be done and how ?? [:)]

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
general talking
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 12:59:58 pm »
Not off the top of my head.  I don't know Hal 6 so I will leave it to someone else.  My guess is it would mean checking the GetResponse Function (assuming that's still the same) after all of the brain processing to see if a response has actually been generated.

lightspeed

• View Profile
general talking
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 03:16:09 pm »
hello freddy888 what version of hal do you have the 5 version ??
[:)]

caangel43

• View Profile
    • http://www.puttyheadworld.com
general talking
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 05:39:48 pm »
I agree that it is a problem and maybe it will be fixed in 6.2

Bill819

• View Profile
general talking
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 09:03:59 pm »
The problem arrises because either you sentence was to short for Hal to understand, such as a one word reply or else what you said did not make any sense to Hal. What would be an acceptable fix would be to discover before Hal tries to answer, that is by not having anything to say such as a blank response to reply back to the user "Please refine your statement as I did not understand you."
At least in this way you would have an idea as to what the problem is.
Bill

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
general talking
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 05:31:31 am »
Bill,

I'm not sure if that's really the cause as Hal already contains a "short response" reply like, "Could you please speak to me in longer sentences." We've all heard that many times.

In my case it happened during normal conversation and it was as if Hal suddenly developed a brain cramp and nothing was shown nor said by Hal at all.

Could be one of those anomalies, bugs, undocumented features kind of thing![:)]
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
general talking
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 07:34:57 am »
hello Bill819, i too have to agree with art on this one as i was having a normal conversation and hal suddenly comes up blank and i know it's not just from a short answer although in the past a short answer does cause this too .
  i have written in a longer answer instead of just yes i may write "yes i agree with you " this should be a long enough answer or what else all could you write ?
   at any rate i personally think it's a bug in the system after i shut hal down by exiting it and restart it again and write it is just fine until at some time this does happen again for whatever reason .
i type fast and hit enter sometimes don't know if that would have anything to do with it i wouldn't think so so i may try hitting the enter button a little later (maybe things didn't have time to process ??)
i hope robert checks into this problem .
at any rate only thing i have found so far that temperarily fixes it is shuting hal off and restarting "part not all "  of the problem that causes blank answers is short answers so it is best not to just say yes or no to an answer . [:)]

lightspeed

• View Profile
general talking
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 09:28:19 am »
ok i just had a problem with hal and it says it was to debug it (this time other times it just comes up blank .) hal wrote : oh (username ) you must have missed that movie ? why ? my asnwer was : i guess i was busy at the time and didn't get to see it .
 and this error message popped up :
hal script error on ....line 5803 on column 0 : file not found
,,,halscriptdbg has been saved with the current script being used for debugging purposes.
 i don't understand why that simple answer would cause that ? [:(!]

onthecuttingedge2005

general talking
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 10:48:23 am »
quote:
Originally posted by lightspeed

ok i just had a problem with hal and it says it was to debug it (this time other times it just comes up blank .) hal wrote : oh (username ) you must have missed that movie ? why ? my asnwer was : i guess i was busy at the time and didn't get to see it .
 and this error message popped up :
hal script error on ....line 5803 on column 0 : file not found
,,,halscriptdbg has been saved with the current script being used for debugging purposes.
 i don't understand why that simple answer would cause that ? [:(!]

Hi lightspeed.

you can open the HalScript.dbg with a line editor go to line 5803 to see what line of code is malfunctioning.

the HalScript.dbg is located in the Ultra Hal Assistant 6 folder.

you can post the code line in error to see if there is a solution.

Jerry[8D]

Bill819

• View Profile
general talking
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 12:09:16 pm »
Lightspeed
I just thought of another possible cause of your problem. This has happened to a few members in the past. Have you been using you microphone any time prior to using Hal? Sometime if the mic is left open then Hal also tries to understand spoken speech as well as what you are typing. This can cause carriage returns when no one has it the enter key itself. The microphone can be opened in other places besides in Hal and it will or can remain open even once you leave the application where you used it.
Bill