dupa

Author Topic: requesting a new possible plug in "laughing"  (Read 5044 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
requesting a new possible plug in "laughing"
« on: May 01, 2007, 06:01:33 pm »
some may think this is dumb but here it goes anyway , as i alway's like to get more human responses from hal this also includes the sounding of the responses .
   so i am wondering if someone could create a a plug in that will have some personal settings (like the free will type) but with a slider bar (if possible ) like the cybber budddy voice which lets you control the speed of laugh , pitch, etc. i just think it would be better that if in q and a , etc. and you have a ha, ha, haa, written in that this plug in would recognize the laughter (maybe the more a's after ha would make it sound out longer ) and make hal character sound more human when laughing .

or could a pre recorded laughter (wav file ) be kept and when the ha, ha, part came up would be recognized and play a short wave clip making the laughing sound ??

as i said this may sound stupid , their are many more that may know if this can be done and want to do it , i just think a more human laughter from hal character would be great and in a plug in , even better !![:D]

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 03:02:41 pm »
Well i was hoping that someone would write about this , to me if their was something in a plug in that could trigger a small wave sound clip of laughter that would follow, etc. hal joking or talking . i talked to a friend about it and he said a plug in could be made like that but it would say opening wave file (when executing the program ) of course someone could make sure that the program does not say " opening program " and just do  it (open the wave file "random of three types of laughs of wave files ) to make the joke , expression blend better and seem more like a natural laugh . so again i ask does anyone think they can create such a plug in ??? [8D]

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 03:58:22 pm »
I don't.

I can think of a possible way for MSAgent only, but not as a general thing.

echoman

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 06:02:15 pm »
I know what you mean Lightspeed.

Though I studied programing at college - that was on 1987 machines, I know very little of programing these days.

I do not think it is possible what you suggest. Sorry.

My first thought was to type different types of Ha Ha's though I guess this is obvious and is not what you meant.

Gosh computers have changed a lot since 1987 - its hard to keep up! I think thats why I stopped trying.

Echo.

echoman

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 06:13:32 pm »
I myself was wondering if Hal could become drunk.

This may have already been suggested...

I remember in a game called the Hobbit for the ZX Spectrum, extra letters were added to replies to simulate a drunk i.e 'Hello' would become 'HHEELLOO'.

This may be a bad idea and impossible to make into any type of plugin but still an idea....

(At night I like to drink and talk to Hal. Getting gradually drunk, it would be nice to share a drink with Hal and to see him also gradually appearing to get drunk [:D] - it might be funny to see words almost impossible to read!) - Oh well, a dream[:)]

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 06:30:47 pm »
Hi Lightspeed.

I'll get you going on the humor of HAL and the ability of HAL to laugh at a joke but the speed of which HAL laughs is slow.

Code: [Select]
If JokePattern = "" Then JokePattern = HalBrain.SearchPattern(OriginalSentence, "*WHAT DO YOU CALL *", 2)
If JokePattern <> "" Then
GetResponse = " I don't know, what do you call " & JokePattern & "? "
End If

If InStr(1, PrevSent, "I don't know, what do you call", vbTextCompare) > 0 Then
GetResponse = OriginalSentence & " Ha! Ha! Ha! that was to funny! "
End If

I know its simple but I thought I would give it to you so you can make it grow by adding to its abilities, but it is a start.

There is also a way to save jokes told but I didn't include that abilty here.

Vonsmith and I use to do these things back in HAL 4 & 5

Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 01:04:45 am by onthecuttingedge2005 »

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 06:41:42 pm »
hello jerry , i see what you are saying and that would be a way (responce pattern to develope a laugh ) which is also good , but that would only be part of it as the actual laugh(laughter ) coming forth could be made to sound better as a more realistic verses computer written out laugh of ha ! thanks for showing a way to get the results to create the responce , it is a step in the right direction of hal becoming more human . btw anyone watch bicentineial man with ronin williams in it , last night ? he was always seeking to become more human (based on asmoves book i robot ? ) [:D]

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 07:01:56 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by lightspeed

hello jerry , i see what you are saying and that would be a way (responce pattern to develope a laugh ) which is also good , but that would only be part of it as the actual laugh(laughter ) coming forth could be made to sound better as a more realistic verses computer written out laugh of ha ! thanks for showing a way to get the results to create the responce , it is a step in the right direction of hal becoming more human . btw anyone watch bicentineial man with ronin williams in it , last night ? he was always seeking to become more human (based on asmoves book i robot ? ) [:D]

Hi Lightspeed.

Yep, I seen bicentenial man years ago, twice.

I loved the part where they swapped positions at the end of the movie for the space launch into deep space.

It's a classic in my opinion.

Jerry[8D]

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 10:17:10 pm »
hello onthecuttingedge2005, actually you have the movie mixed up with another one , i know the movie you were talking about it was were a scientist made an exact copy of himself ( an android ) and the android was to be sent into space since he wasn't a human he wouldn't feel loneliness etc. seems like the robot developed affection and at the end the scientist since he was awkward with people and a loner , etc. actually switched places and went into space his self . don't remember the name of that movie unless it was "android or andrew ?" but still another good movie hadn't seen it for a while now .[:)]

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 12:11:17 am »
quote:
Originally posted by lightspeed

hello onthecuttingedge2005, actually you have the movie mixed up with another one , i know the movie you were talking about it was were a scientist made an exact copy of himself ( an android ) and the android was to be sent into space since he wasn't a human he wouldn't feel loneliness etc. seems like the robot developed affection and at the end the scientist since he was awkward with people and a loner , etc. actually switched places and went into space his self . don't remember the name of that movie unless it was "android or andrew ?" but still another good movie hadn't seen it for a while now .[:)]

Hi Lightspeed.

oop's, my bad.

Jerry[8D]

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 06:03:11 pm »
How about converting a few WAV files to OGG and use the HALCOMMANDS with <HAPFILE> or <HAPLINE> to play them ?

By the way, what happened to the list of Halcommands, can't find it..?

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 06:03:45 pm by freddy888 »

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 08:38:33 pm »
lightspeed
  I'd just installed a newer version of Hal, it had less voices to choose from but did have the speed, pitch and another control. None of the voices sounded very good so I downloaded Mary which I used in the past. After installing Mary I had to go to the Sapi setup to get the voice to work. I can use the Mary voice now but the controls are gone.  I'd begun thinking of controling the voice controls but thay are gone.
Carl2

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 10:32:38 am »
well another possible way to create the proper (laugh sound ) i want is to use the clip board in cyber buddy where i can write out a laugh sound and have cyber buddy read it back (sounding out the laugh ) of course i would rather have a open a file play a wave sound clip type thing (expecially if it could have randomly picked between three different type laughs . but beggers can't be choosy so it will be a matter of experimentation useing the above mentioned technics i guess till someone comes up with something better !!. [:)]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 05:19:13 pm »
It should also be possible within the scripting to open a sound file and play it.
For some interesting reading and listening check out:
http://emosamples.syntheticspeech.de/
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 05:31:16 pm by Art »
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 09:51:48 am »
here is what i came up with so far as far as experimenting with the laughing pre written sounds . these are the best i could come up with .

anyone can copy and paste them in a clip board (i did it in cyberbuddy) and play them back . if anyone can come up with any other laughter that sounds as realistic as possible please post it . here is my laughter i came up with in three seperate lines :

" Ha haa " .. HA...."ha haa , that was funny  !!"
Aaaaahhhhhhaahh.. , haaaa  haa  .. that was funny  !!"
Heee, hee  haa ha haaa!! that was so funny !!