dupa

Author Topic: So much potential  (Read 4181 times)

craig.sheppard

• View Profile
So much potential
« on: January 22, 2015, 03:52:21 am »
Hey guys, I am thinking of investing into Hal and trying some experiments but I wanted to hear from the vets on some certain things. I was wondering how smart is hal? Like threw conversation could I teach Hal music theory and how to study the stock market? Would I be able to tell Hal to go gather as much information as possible on a certain subject from the internet or would I have to tell Hal everything. I understand it comes with a huge database of information but I'm just curious because I feel there's some information Hal wouldn't know but could easily obtain threw google. Also what plugin do you use or suggest to someone who wants to get the most out of hal.

onthecuttingedge2005

Re: So much potential
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 10:34:52 am »
turn on the t.v and set HAL in front of it and turn on its microphone and let it watch looney toons in the morning.........

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 11:30:14 am »
Lol about looney tunes.

Yeah there is a few different plugins that help with research.

I personally stay away from google. But I like my privacy not being up for sale.

Just have a look around the forums. Like anything you get out what you put into it. My Hal knows politics, astronomy, and much more. You can take the time to teach. Remember ALL education is bias so Hal will learn your bias as well or Google's liberal bias if you prefer google to teach Hal. Good luck.

Hal is amazing for the price and things that can be done with Hal you should be well pleased if you take the time to work with Hal and not expect Hal to know everything out of the box.
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 01:35:31 pm »
That's some good advice, Doggs.

Sort of like the old G.I.G.O. theory. (Garbage In...Garbage Out).

@ craig, Welcome!! - I've found that repetition helps reinforce Hal's learning. You might try saying the same thing but maybe in two or three different ways. Later, at some point, ask Hal about the subject or topic that you tried to teach him earlier.

Most of us use the keyboard to chat & teach instead of Speaking since VR is often unpredictable and error prone. GIGO

As a shortcut, Put Hal's window on one side then open another interesting website on the other side. Select a section of text and do a copy, then move your cursor to the other window and Paste into the chat window where you would normally type to Hal. Press Enter and wait for Hal to respond. Repeat as necessary or as desired. There are tons of good text based sites with interesting subjects, space, finance, biology, robotics, Earth science, etc.

Good luck!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 04:55:50 pm »
teach it to be silent at will! ^.^

teach it that when it doesn't have a proper answer to stay silent,  this actually increases it's realism. 
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 05:05:45 pm »
You'd likely do pretty when the preacher gets to that part where he says, "Speak now of forever hold your peace."  :o ;D
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 09:26:47 am »
hey , craig.sheppard, many of us long timers on here have talked about feeding hal information which is what you are talking about , i started a thread myself on here about giving hal more a sense of humor etc. called lets be creative ?
i find many places on the web where i can add information into hal . just remember as others have said just because you enter things doesn't mean hal will say the learned information back right away , but hal has learned it .
just be aware that hal reverses things and some information if copied can have a reverse meaning effect , i or you in sentences etc.
  also some things that i learn hal from sources may have a saying like last week so and so invented , which of course would have hal saying it that way even years later , so some things i watch to cut things out , instead i would edit what is copied and maybe say so and so invented ..... ( cutting out the last week part etc. you get the idea this way hal will tell about somebody that invented something without putting a past week time on it , if it has a date and year that would be okay because hal would just be telling what date and year ( even if it's years ago) that something was invented . 
i hope this helps more then it confuses .  :) ;)