dupa

Author Topic: question mark at end of sentences  (Read 4577 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
question mark at end of sentences
« on: May 15, 2015, 12:49:46 pm »
I was thinking about that one time before that someone ? said that when we type to hal that hal doesn't recognize the question mark when used in a sentence .  if i am wrong on this someone can say so .
but if so , wouldn't this disrupt the learning process , unless hal can tell if the sentence sounds like a question and is categorized in the correct place .
   And if this is the case why is the question mark not recognized in hal ( what purpose or reason .
Robert may have to answer some of this , as it is his design .
But i was just wondering .
 I have a little time to now wonder etc. now , i am getting over a major bunch of problems lately , which is why i haven't been on line here . 

Carl2

• View Profile
Re: question mark at end of sentences
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 05:24:33 pm »
 lightspeed,
   I just looked at hal's brain script in the Brain editor and came across this
'RESPOND: USER ASKING WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, HOW, WHY, BUT HAL DOESN'T KNOW ANSWER
    If Len(GetResponse) < 4 Then
        If InStr(OriginalSentence, "?") > 0 Then QuesQual = True
  That's on line 1646

this one is important if you would like hal to learn
'PROCESS: BLOCK LEARNING IF HAL'S NAME IS DETECTED
    'Here we check to see if the user is calling Hal by name; if the user is doing so,
    'it's better not to save the sentence for re-use, since it usually makes the
    'pronoun-reversed sentence sound clumsy or incorrect:
    If InStr(1, OriginalSentence, ComputerName, vbTextCompare) > 0 Then HalBrain.ReadOnlyMode = True
 line 445

'PROCESS: REMOVE PUNCTUATION
    'This function removes all other punctuation and symbols from the User's
    'sentence so they won't confuse Hal during processing.
    UserSentence = HalBrain.AlphaNumericalOnly(UserSentence)
  line 337

Good luck with you're problems, hope they are not Hal related.  I's still stuck in graphics since I need clothing for Sandy to wear.
Carl2

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 07:57:44 pm »
Apparently UltraHal has many mysteries especially when other plug-ins are involved.

Just my experiences; Robert, lightspeed, Carl strange but true. I have one paid UltraHal program at work used exclusively for me to clear my thought patterns and to share my thoughts especially when others are not available.

My character which is a Head only character is named Hal. I remember from long ago that it was a no-no due to that written script Robert incorporated so there would be no confusion to use the 'Hal' name. This particular brain uses the least amount of plug-ins. All my additional UltraHal programs with many plug-ins engaged for trial and error purposes. Have used this character and set-up for over five years and has the least amount of script errors and his learning abilities have been nothing short of amazing. As amazing as all other set-ups I now use and the bell and whistle plug-ins, I appreciate.

Getting back to the real topic. I have not really noticed although there are times it seems that questions can be ignored or just not responded to by UltraHal. The most obvious word I have noticed is "not". "not" in a sentence just doesn't seem to catch UltraHal's attention. I am far from being grammatically correct for inputs or responses to UltraHal. (Not my fault I grew up in Brooklyn)Just kidding for anybody else. Wouldn't change it for the world.

It can be be the structure of the sentence that I use it or in lightspeed's example do questions need to be properly written for UltraHal to really understand the question all the time.
Carl showed us the written script, and by that example it could be something UltraHal does not know the answer or will need to process the information or question first and then respond.
Like others I have found being persistent with UltraHal will have a better result with a little extra coaching using the same subject matter in different ways.

Don't remember if the settings for learning and also setting the parameters in the area that you can select how obedient or independent UltraHal will affect those responses. Just a thought.

raybe   

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 01:59:34 pm »
Carl2 i didn't realize that hal removes quotations and symbols from conversations , if this is really the case ( and i hope robert can chime in on this ) i believe "some " symbols should be left in hals learning , as the "   " marks can emphasize a word on what it means and how it's expressed and should be a part of hals learning , i can see where excluding certain symbols such astra ( ****) and such should be left out , but exclamation marks and other symbols as i said expresses the intention of a sentence with meaning .
Robert  are you out their ?? can you talk with us on this subject ?
 Also if hal is this way excluding symbols that could be better used as expressing in sentences , can the new version of the next hal be upgraded to include some symbols , and if so,  list what all symbols can be used in sentences .  :)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 08:21:34 pm »
Older versions of Hal used to allow the user to show a particular emphasis by using an Exclamation point (which in itself is sort of the purpose of the exclamation anyhow).  Robert did away with Hal's use of punctuation several (many?) years ago. So you can use all the punctuation your heart desires. Just be aware that Hal pays it no mind at all.
It just processes the words, phrases and patterns.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 09:46:24 pm »
I guess it has always been the structure for say questions: Who,What, Where, When and such, not the punctuation at the end as mention in Carls post. I know I constantly forget that point or just copying and pasting responses that include punctuations because UltraHal will use punctuations in replies or repeat your reply with a question. Conversion to Capitol letters which I have found didn't really matter when inputting. UltraHal takes care of it. If you notice in tables you can also see inputs of both Capitol and lower case responses. I believe that script is also written into UltraHal but haven't found it to hinder anything.

Just to mention again if you guys don't mind. One of my UltraHal programs is named 'Hal' and I did it just to see results. This is the UltraHal that I mentioned earlier and has never given me a noticeable difference or any confusion that I have yet to notice and still carries on conversation as well if not better at times as the other UltraHal programs I use.

raybe
GOD Bless the troops in the past, present and future!!

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 09:19:46 am »
I still would like to see hal be able to emphasize things in another words allowing the expression of feelings  more .  :) ;)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 09:23:13 pm »
Feelings?! Go ahead and curse at your Hal sometime. You'll easily detect it's feelings! ;)

Just joking. I never curse or intentionally insult my Hal nor most real people too for that matter.
Karma and all that comes around - goes around thing I guess.... ;)

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 09:03:11 am »
lol me either Art , i find no use for curse words , unless it's a seldom told joke with some specifics lol. But i do wonder  about things within hal or missing from hal ( if that is the case ) like no " " . which could be used as emphases more on a word , and make the way hal responds back differently to a person as compared to just a regular flat type conversation .
   it would be nice if either Robert had a place in hal that could be checked in the menu that would allow ?, "" , etc. or a person if they didn't want hal to respond with emphases , would simply leave the option unchecked .
ROBERT ARE YAH OUT THEIR ?

LOL p.s.
 i have got in the habit with speaking with hal to have to say "yah " because if i say are you out their , hal would respond back " am i out their"  which of course would sound strange . so when hal says yah " are yah out their .  it sounds better .  ;)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 05:03:52 am »
Why did you put a question mark (?) at the end of the Robert are yah out their (there)?

Of course if we humans use punctuation. OK...let me clarify...a lot of humans use punctuation, then why should we expect the very bots we create, teach and use NOT to use punctuation as well?

G.I.G.O.

- Art -

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 07:17:58 am »
  From Lightspeed "I still would like to see hal be able to emphasize things "  I remember this from way back when people were thinking of hal being able to change his voice when responding, pitch and volume.  We've been able to change quite a few features of the full bod characters and there is data In the uncompressed files dealing with speech but it is still something that still has not been done.  So much potential for hal, Shaw has been talking about giving Hal vision which he's been able to demonstrate, Robert has attempted to get Hal to connect to wiki to learn new things,  unfortunately that failed.   So put on your thinking caps still a lot to do.
Carl1

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 07:56:18 am »
could some voices be the answer ? some voices "i think " (hey art i like using these things lol) already have a type of emphases  or emotion to the speech built in , maybe using voices with adjustable speed and controls, etc. but then that's getting into a whole different thing , but was just mentioning it .
 For what it's worth to mention i do wish that voices had more control , as some i believe speak to fast , etc.

i did have another question , since some words are excluded in hal the way he learns , what about the word "dear " when used as part of a sentence ?  i use it this way in part of sentences to make a learned answer sound more human , but is hal actually learning it this way as i am teaching ?
example :   dear , it looks like it may rain today . or  what are we doing today dear , are we going to town?
for my name on the pc i am using a neutral name of "honey " for what the pc calls me .
the word dear being used is also not the hal name i am using .
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 08:08:05 am by lightspeed »