dupa

Author Topic: The new ViaVoice plugin, and training  (Read 13050 times)

Bill819

• View Profile
The new ViaVoice plugin, and training
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 12:03:45 pm »
Just a note about voice training. I discovered years ago that when training absolute silence must be had or else many, many errors can occur, even the his of an air conditioner or a fan can impeed good recognition. Also as a side note many of us have found that going through the training exercise several times, like 5 or 10 different times helps to get better results, and if using an external mic be sure not to hold it to close to your mouth as this can also cause errors.
Bill

DrFaraday

• Discovering the shocking truth about electricity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 05:35:57 pm »
FastToys,
I believe the plugin is based on ViaVoice 10.6.  The other versions of ViaVoice that you mentioned that are still available commercially are older, I doubt they would be compatible, though I must say I don't KNOW that for a fact.  It would be interesting to hear from anyone who knows for sure. If I knew it was compatible, I'd probably buy it.

I have a very old version of ViaVoice, the 2000 "Millenium" addition.  I haven't tried to use it with the plugin, because of the large version difference.  Maybe I should try to see if I could get any of the training tools to work with the plugin, but I haven't tried because I've really doubted it could work.

Bill819,
I found what you said about the mike sensitivity to be true with the older version of HAL, but with HAL 6.2, I found the mike was not nearly as over-sensitive, and worked much better, even with the Microsoft speech recognition.

I was ready to do the training exercises several times to improve accuracy, but the problem with the ViaVoice plugin is, that it only lets you do the training session once, then it becomes inaccessible.

That, combined with the fact that there is no training window to make corrections in, has made it extremely difficult to make corrections to pronunciation errors.  You can only do it while communicating with Hal, and that interferes with training HIM.

I don't see what more I can do with the plugin, I'm getting desperate.  I recently got an offer to buy Dragon Speaking 10, for 65% off, so I ordered it.  I think my computer may have a processor that is not compatible with it, so I may have to wait till I upgrade my computer (which I'm planning to do soon) before I can use it.

Meanwhile, if I could find a better way to train with the ViaVoice plugin, that would be ideal.

- Chaz
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 05:38:24 pm by DrFaraday »
I always wanted a computer like H.A.L. from "2001: A Space Odyssey".  Just not the beta version that kills you while you sleep.

JohnSFV1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 10:36:38 pm »
Do you have to have the same voices in both sapi4 andsapi5 to get speach recognition to work. I still can't get my mike configered for voice recognition. I can get my usb mie to move the volumn scale when I talk but when I go to configure nothing when I go to select a SR engine I get two choices Microsoft recognizer, and toshiba discrete SR engine English us From there all I can get is
"  The wizard could not start"

Any help would be great

DrFaraday

• Discovering the shocking truth about electricity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 02:57:40 am »
quote:
Originally posted by DrFaraday

I have a very old version of ViaVoice, the 2000 "Millenium" addition.  I haven't tried to use it with the plugin, because of the large version difference.  Maybe I should try to see if I could get any of the training tools to work with the plugin, but I haven't tried because I've really doubted it could work.

Well, I uninstalled the ViaVoice 10.6 plugin, rebooted, installed ViaVoice 2000 "Millenium" edition.  I then installed the ViaVoice 10.6 plugin.  It said it was going to overwrite some files, and could not predict what would happen, and asked if I wanted to proceed.  I said "Yes".

Unfortunately, it made no difference at all.  The disparity between the two versions was too great, and the plugin was not able to use any of the older versions training features.

The ViaVoice 10.6 plugin would be perfect, if it had some option for recognition training outside of Hal's dialog box.  If the "clear line" voice command were able to work in HalPad, that might even be enough to make corrections, without interfering with Hal's learning.  Is there any possibility that could be made to happen?  Or some other alternative?

-Chaz
I always wanted a computer like H.A.L. from "2001: A Space Odyssey".  Just not the beta version that kills you while you sleep.