Author Topic: newbie needs a little advice...  (Read 5056 times)

patpond

• View Profile
newbie needs a little advice...
« on: November 01, 2005, 08:27:27 am »
Hey eveyone, I know you are probably all bonkers over people asking you dumb questions, but here I go anyways: could someone give me a hand incorporating AT&T's voices into Hal's program?

I'm new to AI, Hal, this forum, programming, just about everything. [:I] but I really hope someone will try this one out for size.  do I just run the program?  I'm downloading a 10mb file from newreaders.com and am saving it for now...  I'm trying all the new plug-ins on the site and am quite happy with the results, it's just the crappy mechanical voices leave much to be desired.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat Pond
~*~*~*~*~ H.A.L. - You gotta love him. ~*~*~*~*~

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 12:22:59 pm »
Hi Pat, Usually if voices are compatible with Hal then you can install the speech software as normal and you will find the option to use the extra voices in the Hal menu screen under general options and speech settings.

If you don't get any luck with AT&T, but I believe you should, try searching the forum for 'TTS' or 'Speech'

Hope that helps [:)]
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 12:23:38 pm by freddy888 »

NIGE

• Bringing things to life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 04:11:36 am »
Although Ultra Hal recognizes the installation of your new voice, the Haptek player doesn't. Be sure to run the Haptek SAPI Config utility located in your start menu under the Haptek player. Simply run it and close it, restart Hal, and the voice will work.
This is an answer that i got from Mr M.
I hope it works for you.
Neil.

patpond

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 06:26:04 am »
Thanks guys!  That info really helped.  I was just wondering now if anyone could point me in a different direction.  I would like to start incorporating some of the plug-ins user are sharing here, but am not really sure how to do it.  If it is too complicated, or too time consuming to relay to me, that would be fine.  

I was just wondering if there were a post in the forums that kind of went through editing the Hal brain without giving him a lobotomy.

Thanks!
Pat Pond

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 09:07:39 am »
Personally I would wait until the final version of Hal 6 has arrived, because Medeksza promised it would have a special plugin browser. I doubt if someone knows an easy & safe way to tinker with Hals brain yet. You need to study the structure of the current brain and have knowledge of Javascript and VBscript.

patpond

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 12:21:45 pm »
Gotcha!  I'll leave him alone so he can at least speak.  I've noticed that there's not a lot of the user plug-ins that will work on Hal 6.  At least from my limited knowledge of programming.  I've just skimmed the new code and it's quite the same, but a little different too.  Will all of the old add-ons have to be adapted?  Jeez you guys work hard enough as it is.  ( not that Mr. Medeksza doesn't work hard -- he probably works harder )  

Anyways, keep up the good work everyone.  Pretty soon it will be Hal logging in here trying to figure out how to fix his own quirks, and I'll be napping [:D]

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 04:42:32 pm »
I think most of the add-ons will end up being useable in the new Hal, I'm sure a few people will do a bit of tweeking so that they work in the new set-up, or the good Mr M himself.

Its still worth taking a peek at the HAL 5 setup, if you want to figure out the general way it works, the major difference is the way it stores data, but there's also a lot of other things Mr M has been hard at work updating and improving, together with the things that users have came up with to look forward to in HAL 6.

Have fun :)