dupa

Author Topic: Mic always on  (Read 12591 times)

drakkar

• View Profile
Mic always on
« on: May 26, 2007, 12:19:35 pm »
Hi I was wondering if there was any way of setting the mic and the hal program to always be on at pc start up as I want to only use  the mic as an input , I need the mic to be on as default when the program starts as the pc will be inside a box wih no mouse connected

any help would greatly be appreciated

thanks in advance

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Mic always on
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 12:34:49 pm »
Unless someone knows something I don't, I don't think you can just using the program. But later I can try to write a script for you that will start the program, and turn on the mike. I think it should work...

drakkar

• View Profile
Mic always on
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 02:55:48 am »
thanks that would be fantastic

ramccoid

• View Profile
    • http://www.visualillustrations.co.uk
Mic always on
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 04:42:21 am »
quote:
But later I can try to write a script for you that will start the program, and turn on the mike. I think it should work...

I would be very interested to see your plugin, Bill, if you can get it to work.

Roy.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Mic always on
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 07:37:34 am »
I recall a problem that some users were having with Hal's mic constantly being on. The problem was that the Hal program was "hearing" its own speech and was causing unwanted text/errors.

Robert Medeksza addressed this via a plugin (I believe).

My advice to you would be to do a Search of the entire forum using the word "microphone on" (no quotes).

Nevermind, I found it for you.

http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3316&SearchTerms=Microphone,on
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 07:38:14 am by Art »
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

ramccoid

• View Profile
Mic always on
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 08:43:08 am »
I think that plugin has been incorporated in to HAL 6.1, I'm not a hundred percent sure but I think I remember reading about it as an update to HAL 6.1 RC1. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think what drakkar is after, is to cause HAL to open completely at his computer startup and be ready to communicate, without the aid of a keyboard or mouse to open HAL's user interface.

I hope this is clear and again correct me if I am wrong.

Roy.

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Mic always on
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 09:56:16 am »
quote:
Originally posted by ramccoid
I think what drakkar is after, is to cause HAL to open completely at his computer startup and be ready to communicate, without the aid of a keyboard or mouse to open HAL's user interface.

That's the way I read it. I was hoping to make a script that would start Hal and then send keystrokes to turn on the mike, but I ended up trying to find a doctor last night (everything is ok now) instead.

Your post reminded me that 6.1 does have some new tags, <Mike on> or something. I might have some time this afternoon if I'm not too full of pain pills....

PaleRider

• View Profile
Mic always on
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 10:24:19 am »
Sorry to hear that Bill hope you feel better today.[:)]
Sorry I'm off topic to.[:D]
Never Drive Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly.

ramccoid

• View Profile
Mic always on
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 11:41:49 am »
quote:
Your post reminded me that 6.1 does have some new tags, <Mike on> or something. I might have some time this afternoon if I'm not too full of pain pills....

Put your feet up and spend the day relaxing. There is always tomorrow to deal with plugins and scripts.

All the best and take good care of yourself,

Roy.

drakkar

• View Profile
Mic always on
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 03:35:28 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill DeWitt

quote:

That's the way I read it. I was hoping to make a script that would start Hal and then send keystrokes to turn on the mike, but I ended up trying to find a doctor last night (everything is ok now) instead.

yes that's exactly what I meant , but there is no great rush required please rest and get better ,

thanks for all the great support everyone

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Mic always on
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 04:07:08 pm »
Apparently I spoke too soon. I cannot find a keystroke combination that will turn on the mike.

Maybe the Minute Timer or Auto-Idle can be used to do this. I'll have to look at it another day....

ramccoid

• View Profile
Mic always on
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 04:30:32 pm »
Have you checked out Jerry's microphone on/off plugin. You might be able to adapt it.

Roy.

Or it could be the answer to part of the problem.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 04:32:40 pm by ramccoid »

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Mic always on
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 04:39:22 pm »
quote:

Have you checked out Jerry's microphone on/off plugin. You might be able to adapt it.

No, that's a different thing. The problem was to turn on the microphone as Hal is turned on, I was assuming no mouse or keyboard. I suspect that the OP wants to have a kiosk type installation where even if it is unattended, and there is a power interruption, Hal will come back on with microphone activated.

I wonder if there are command line parameters build into Hal which will allow that???? Robert?

ramccoid

• View Profile
Mic always on
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 04:48:20 pm »
How would you go about allowing HAL to open completely and ready to talk to from a startup? Would you have to write a separate applet to place in your startup menu, or is there another way from within HAL?
I would be interested to see if it could be done in any of the above two methods.
keep me informed.

Roy.

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Mic always on
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 05:11:32 pm »
quote:

How would you go about allowing HAL to open completely and ready to talk to from a startup?

Well that's the question isn't it?

I thought I could do it with a VBS script, but I coudn't find a key combination that could be sent by the script that would turn on the mike... and even if I did send it or even the key phrase of Jerry's script, you would have to wait for Hal to load completely, and that seems to take different time lengths.

It seems difficult to do it that way, I was hoping to find a different way. Command line options would be good.