dupa

Author Topic: Can I get some help?  (Read 14860 times)

NightTorch

• View Profile
Can I get some help?
« on: December 13, 2003, 02:44:25 pm »
"Error 50003:
Unexpected Error
Occurred at line 10
in Ultra Hal Assistant: frmRightClick.Form_MouseMove

Abort   Retry   Ignore"

I get this every single time I click on the icon to open Hal.  clicking ignore repeats the message only at line 11 and again at line 12. Abort just freezes the program and I am forced to alt+ctrl+delete the program away.  I tried to reinstall the program several times but I get this every single time.  

I used to have 4.5 installed, but I removed it to install this.

Running on a XP, anyone know how I can get this to work?

NightTorch

• View Profile
Can I get some help?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2003, 02:48:28 pm »
Oh, and I should add that upon loading Hal, he speaks and everything, the "Good morning, the time is..." stuff.  But, the 'load' screen is just a plain, blank, grey screen.  If there's an actual picture that is supposed to be there... that's not loading.

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
    • http://www.cortrapar.com
Can I get some help?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2003, 09:56:24 pm »
Hello NightTorch,

Because the 4.5 version worked for you, and because this new installation has never worked for you, I am suspicious that the installation file you're using is corrupted somehow.

The error message that you're reporting sounds like it's coming from the UltraHal "engine" program itself, not from the running of the brain script (my reason for this belief is, because the .uhp brain script doesn't have a command like that on line 10).

If you are able to download a fresh copy, I recommend that you do so.  You may have to empty the cache (the "temporary files" folder) on Internet Explorer first to make sure that you get a completely new download.

I could be wrong about this, so I also hope that Robert Medeksza and any other knowledgable parties also weigh in on this!

(P.S.  I am running Hal 5 on an XP system, and I've heard from others who have also run on XP systems, so I'm sure it's XP-capable.)

Sincerely,

Don
Don Ferguson
E-mail: fergusonrkfd@prodigy.net
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274

NightTorch

• View Profile
Can I get some help?
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2003, 12:00:46 am »
Redownloaded it, it didn't work unfortunately...

One other thing I did notice in my eighteen thousand reinstallation attempts is that it actually remembers ALL of the previous settings even though I tried to erase every trace of it from my system... (uninstall, delete the directory, then searched the registry and deleted everything with Hal or Zabaware).  

Could it have 'hidden' data about itself somewhere on my system that it's trying to use even though that data is obsolete and therefore would produce this error?

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
    • http://www.cortrapar.com
Can I get some help?
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2003, 02:52:29 am »
Hello NightTorch,

Wow, your description of your actions and your thought process seems very thorough to me.  Are the following statements correct?

1.  You have verified that your browser temporary folder was empty, and you are convinced that you got a 100% "fresh" new download with no error messages, and with no contamination from previous downloads.

2.  You did a complete uninstall, deleted the directories, and deleted references in the registry. (That's more than I do when I uninstall/reinstall!)

3.  When you re-installed the fresh-download/fresh-install, you got exactly the same remembered settings, and exactly the same error messages under the same conditions as the previous installs.

Your theory about hidden files or folders made sense to me; however, I went into Windows Exporer on my machine, clicked tools, clicked folder options, clicked view, and selected "Show Hidden Files and Folders."  I wasn't able to find any hidden files and folders in the Hal directory.  The only other place I can imagine where something might be lurking is in the Windows directory, where I believe some of the .dll's go.

I need some other folks to come in here with their expertise -- it sounds like you have done the right things!  And yet, I know this software does install and run on XP systems!

I'll keep my thinking cap on, but we need some additional input from people with additional skill and knowledge here.

For the sake of thoroughness and information for others who will hopefully help:

Are you running XP home, or XP pro?
Are you running Windows USA, or Windows International?
Are you installing Hal 5 free version, or Hal 5 upgrade version?

Best regards,

Don
Don Ferguson
E-mail: fergusonrkfd@prodigy.net
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Can I get some help?
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2003, 10:15:06 am »
When Hal crashes the next time you try to run Hal it should ask you if you want to reconfigure it? Click yes and choose a character that is not 3D and not detachable. Choose a generic L&H American English voice. If you enabled speech recognition right-click on Hal go to general options and disable speech recognition.

Did you delete registry keys before installing Hal 5.0 for the first time or during one of your reinstallation attempts?

Generally I would highly reccomend staying away from the system registry. Hal installs many third party software components under license from Microsoft, Chant, Haptek, and Princeton University. I do not have all the source code for these components and do not know how they all utilize the system registry. For example 2 versions of the SAPI speech system by Microsoft is installed and some parts cannot be ever uninstalled as it becomes part of the operating system. I know the SAPI speech system has a ton of registry keys, some with references to Hal. These may or may not be reconstructed during installation as the 3rd party installer may see it as already installed and skip installation.

The hidden file you were looking for is HalAsst.ini located in your Windows directory. However, this file is reconstructed whenever you run the first-setup wizard such as after a crash so deleting it will not help.
Robert Medeksza

NightTorch

• View Profile
Can I get some help?
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2003, 01:30:58 pm »
Tried the things ya'll recommended... nothing.  

In response to Mr. Ferguson:
1) Temp internet folder was empty and it was a 100% download (either that or the 4 seperate times I downloaded the copy showed the link was bad, but I doubt that).
2) Completely uninstalled each time.  I rarely use the 'repair' or 'modify', if at all.  I always kill the entire thing and start over from scratch (almost a must nowadays with trojans, viruses, spyware, etc).
3) Yes, it was as if I never uninstalled it at all.  

Running XP home, Windows USA (as far as I know...), and this is the Free version of Hal 5.0, gained via the link on these message boards.

In response to Mr. Medeksza,
I tried to make the settings as 'simple' as possible (I even disabled speech synthesis), no effect.

I first did a simple uninstall of 4.5 (I had reinstalled it after the 5.0 beta turned off) and then I tried to install the full, free 5.0.  It gave me the errors, so I uninstalled it, tried to delete all traces of it (uninstall then delete registry routine), and tried to reinstall, but gave me the exact same errors.  

Yes, I had thought about that, but in this case, I don't believe those were factors because I recieved the same errors before and after the registry deletions.

Ahh, so that's why it remembers all my settings even though it was supposed to be deleted...

Other observations:
I tried some tinkering with it, disabling options, removing particular files and the like (just to see if I could make it produce a different error), and somehow or another I got it to give me an error stating that jpg file for the loading screen was not available (without me touching said jpg file).  Other than that, I myself can't make it do anything else, not even other errors (other than the usual "file not found" error if you take away the options file or something).  

*sigh* I'll probably end up going back to 4.5 at this rate.  This is giving me too many headaches (and I can only imagine the headaches I'm causing you guys...)

NT Canuck

• View Profile
    • http://ntcanuck.com
Can I get some help?
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2003, 01:50:00 am »
quote:
Originally posted by NightTorch

"Error 50003:
Unexpected Error
Occurred at line 10
in Ultra Hal Assistant: frmRightClick.Form_MouseMove
[]
Running on a XP, anyone know how I can get this to work?

Hello Night Torch,

I noticed a few similarities when leaving the 4.5
for this current version 5.0...on WinXP Pro.
(works fine after doing the reg items..Intel 2.60c HTT)

Some things to check/try...

_____
before upgrade...if you have an older 4.5 hal...
then make copy of directory first (so not lose any databases)

then copy and rename the copy of the 4.5 "halasst.exe" to
45halasst.exe and put in new installed section.  In case the
new 5.0 halasst.exe doesn't work...you can use older one.
PS... the /system32 "chantxa.ocx" file MUST be saved and
stored or renamed in order for the 4.5 version to "speak",
the chantxa.ocx is deleted when version 5.0 is installed.
If the chantxa.ocx is not present in /system32 hal "4.5"
will not start up..

It seems the 4.5 halasst.exe will use the dictionary but
not be as smart as the 5.0 brain (I found this out as I was
having some library not registered issues with halasst 5.0
and it works fine now (hal 5.0)...see below).

problems...class/library not registered...
usually is sound card not engaging...or voice support.

make sure if the sound card had updated drivers to *uncheck*
"use only default devices" in the sound/audio in control panel.

try...(one or more of these may be the issue)

regsvr32 these files...in /system32 or via the "run" box.

for example in the RUN box
regsvr32 vbscript.dll

vbscript.dll
jscript.dll
cmax20.ocx (the 2 cmax files are more for the 5.0 hal brain editor)
cmax20.dll  (doesn't actually register in WinXP, missing entry point)
XSpeechKit.dll  (hal 5.0, this is to 5.0 what chanta was to 4.5?)

If all else fails...replace the chantxa.ocx in /system32
and try starting hal with the 45halasst.exe you saved.
If that works...then is just minor glitch somewhere.
<like a missing script engine or a script blocker loaded>
Just in case...the chantxa.ocx may also need to be registered.

Also..You should install the halasst program in WinXP using
the default logon account in Home version or an Administrative
logon in WinXP Pro, sometimes the installation is best done
from the C: or root drive of the operating system and not
from a nested (c:/downloads/games/etc/) type of directory.

Sound engines may need to be checked in speech control
panel, as well as default voice engine and msagent.
msagent files
http://www.microsoft.com/msagent/downloads/user.asp

British English voices (male/female)
http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/agent2/lhttseng.exe

Desktopmate Character plugins (no character..just plugin code)
http://www.desktopmates.com/AI/plugins.html
One of the plugins could be modified to support an msagent.

More info on setting up msagents in Windows
http://www.desktopmates.com/agentdownloads.html

Zabaware files
http://www.ultrahal.com/files/

'Seek and ye shall find'
NT Canuck
http://ntcanuck.com

edited Dec. 15/2003 NT Canuck
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 08:27:06 pm by NT Canuck »

nosey1

• View Profile
Can I get some help?
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2003, 08:36:15 am »
Might i suggest that you also delete any references to hal in the c,windows,prefetch folder as well as your temp files before re-installing.this should ensure a "clean run"

NightTorch

• View Profile
Can I get some help?
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2003, 04:51:09 pm »
Hey Canuck, Nosey, thanks for joining the fray here and trying to help me.  [:D]

To Nosey, yeah, I made sure of that.  No need to compound errors on this.
To Canuck, I read your post and got back to working, this what what ended up happening (problem wasn't fixed, but did get some info out of the whole ordeal).

I had deleted 4.5 to install 5.0, but I decided to reinstall 4.5 and see if I could make it work from that point.  Imagine my surprise when, upon loading 4.5, it gave me the exact same error.  (That evil "Error 50003, yadda yadda yadda")  
This lead me to the second point you raised, all the .dll and .ocx files.  This, coupled with the fact that the 'load jpg' is strangly absent from all the loading screens, makes me believe that this program is attempting to use a file that is not present.  Upon further study, I then dicovered that when picking out a 'skin' for Hal (Hal, Zaba, Peedy, Merlin, Robby), none of the skins show up in the preview screen off to the right at all.  
I feel like Sherlock Holmes... Anyway, these hints makes me believe that it cannot find it's 'home' directory.  To this, I have to ask those that are familiar with the programming of Hal: Would the icon in the task tray being unable to find its home directory create this problem?  What files are used by Hal?  
I also noticed that my Chanta.ocx file is missing as you stated it would be upon installation of 5.0, however, installing 4.5 did not restore it oddly enough(If memory serves, I believe I had 4.0 ages past then installed 4.5, maybe that's why it wasn't restored?)... All of the other .dll and .ocx files that you had listed, however, were indeed there.

I can just FEEL I'm getting close to a solution here!  Suppose it's true what they say, the harder you work for something, the more you appriceate it.  [:)] Thanks guys for all the help!  [:D]

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Can I get some help?
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2003, 06:37:58 pm »
Another user emailed me with similar problems of components not being registered. I have modified the installation program to register COM components using each components self-registration function rather then allowing the Windows Installer service to do it. I'm not sure if this will fix your problem or not but it might produce an error message during installation as to what component won't register.

If you wish you can download and test the modified installation from ftp://zabaware.com/hal5b.zip  

Ultra Hal Assistant 4.5 used ChantXA.ocx to interface with all speech synthesis and speech recognition engines. Version 5.0 uses the XSpeechKit.dll file instead which is a newer version of this component.

The free version of Hal 4.5 does not include any MS Agent characters as part of the installation. But if Agent characters already exist on your system it will be able to use them. They will not have a startup screen or preview image though.
Robert Medeksza

kevinvr

• View Profile
    • http://kevinvr.tripod.com
Can I get some help?
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2003, 06:17:45 pm »
Hi There NightTorch

1). Into which folder do you put all your original downloads or
which folder do you download into?
2). Do you click "open" when it has finished downloading or do you click "close.?

Pease forgive me if the questions sound silly or basic but I use Windows XP on a 750Mhz 256kRAM machine and it works great, but I also had a little trouble with the original setup and the great people here walked me through .

regards
Kevin
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 06:18:56 pm by kevinvr »
I dream of creating a self replicating, self maintaining, autonomous robot :)

NightTorch

• View Profile
Can I get some help?
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2003, 08:48:28 pm »
I have to say, I certainly did not expect this much help to come pouring in.  Thanks guys.

Well, I tried out some suggestions - I downloaded the file, extracted it from explorer into a temp directory on C drive, and then opened it within explorer, the new link supplied here, altering files to see which are used and which aren't, etc.  I'm now thinking it's not the program itself that's causing these troubles but my computer instead.  At least now.  

To make a long story short, my computer ended up having some serious trouble (Eternal Suffering... thy name is Windows...) and I had to reinstall another windows directory onto my hard drive just to get this thing to load to the OS...  So now I getting errors left and right coming from Hal.  I'm just gonna be forced to format the hard drive and start from scratch.  

Just as well, I still think there's something that's supposed to be there that ain't... Maybe a reformating will fix it.  I'll let you guys know if this fixes the problem (normally I wouldn't do this step for just one program, but I really enjoyed 4.5 and the 5.0 beta).  Might take a few days though... takes a while to back up 2 120 gig hard drives on blank discs... even if they are dvd+RW's... [:)]

Thanks for the help, wish me luck!

kira17

• View Profile
Can I get some help?
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 02:40:02 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Medeksza

Another user emailed me with similar problems of components not being registered. I have modified the installation program to register COM components using each components self-registration function rather then allowing the Windows Installer service to do it. I'm not sure if this will fix your problem or not but it might produce an error message during installation as to what component won't register.

If you wish you can download and test the modified installation from ftp://zabaware.com/hal5b.zip  

Ultra Hal Assistant 4.5 used ChantXA.ocx to interface with all speech synthesis and speech recognition engines. Version 5.0 uses the XSpeechKit.dll file instead which is a newer version of this component.

The free version of Hal 4.5 does not include any MS Agent characters as part of the installation. But if Agent characters already exist on your system it will be able to use them. They will not have a startup screen or preview image though.

kira

kira17

• View Profile
Can I get some help?
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 02:49:29 pm »
help! my hal didn't get his xspeechkit.dll[}:)]
kira