dupa

Author Topic: Every new version seems worse  (Read 4104 times)

denodan

• View Profile
Every new version seems worse
« on: September 10, 2001, 02:34:32 am »
I loved this program, but have the feeling every new version of Hal ends up with more bugs, and is worse than the last version. I have Verisions 2,3,4, and went back to Version 3 because Version 4.0.147 does not allow me to use Voice Recognition. Version 3 does, but only with Viavoice. It does not like Dragon Naturally speaking. But since I recently reinstalled Viavoice again it needs to be retrained for Hal to work. When I had version 2 installed it worked with everything. Even Dragon Naturally speaking.

I have not tried to go back and reinstall Version 2.

My point is every new version of this program gets worse, and the new Version does not work with anything. Even the Microsoft speech engine 5 does not allow me to create a voice profile, and is blank. When I had version 4, without update Microsoft speech engine 5 worked perfectly, and in the voice profiles was on called default, which I used, but now shows nothing, and cannot even create a profile. So the new version of Hal stuffed things up completely. Lucky version 3 works with Viavoice.

I think I will think twice about getting any further versions, because if they are getting worse, what's the point. They may have more features than previous versions, but now do not allow speech recognitionto work at all.

I may yet at some stage go back to Version 2, as it works with anything, as Dragon Naturally speeching is the more accurate speech recognition software.

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2001, 11:34:13 pm »
I'm sorry you feel this way. We spend thousands of hours on each version trying to make it better. We include the latest in speech recognition technology with every new version. Every new version is more complex then the previous and requires more of your computers resources, and therefore more powerful computers.

Could you be more specific in what areas of Hal do you think are worse? Maybe include error messages, conversation logs, or step-by-step instructions on how to recreate the error you are having. I would be glad to help you try to solve these problems or to know what to change in the next version.
Robert Medeksza

1billk

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2001, 10:34:30 pm »
hi, I am not a programmer but it seems obvious to me each new version requires longer to execute ie more memory and more processor. keeping in mind the programs I have used are free, I am excited by the concept and can see its value
 as a suggestion can the program be compiled? say to machine code? I suspect a high level language like vb script is running with a translator. or am I wrong?
 well it was a thought. anyway it is a great free product. and I enjoy using it. defenitly buy a working version. compile this thing down and put it on a lap top and you will be a rich person.

The Tinman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2001, 04:31:00 am »
I had trouble initially with the voice recognition in the 4.o. However I found If I chose to customise my installation of the program and then chose to install the speech recogniton and all of its componants, it worked fine. So whether the inability of the speech recognition to function initially was my fault for being the village idiot, or a fault inherant in the program, I do not know. What I do know is that now it works fine; with the 5.1 speech engine.

Edited by - The Tinman on 10/12/2001  04:32:15