Author Topic: Scripts, addins, and extras  (Read 23752 times)

fredfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.stormpages/camline/index.htm
Scripts, addins, and extras
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2004, 11:50:34 am »
If you are using the idlethought script
copy your file to the defbrain folder then
input the line AUTOIDLE READ {your file name}
this should load the script file (idlethought.txt)
and reset the line pointer (idlethought1.txt) to the first line

-just more FredFish stuff-

HALImprover

• View Profile
    • BrianTaylor.me
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2004, 01:32:51 am »
Here's some more knowledge. Enjoy!

Download Attachment: CommonKnowledge7.txt
86.5 KB

Download Attachment: CommonKnowledge8.txt
74.01 KB

BTW. If your using the ReadingAddin script, the text file can be any name as long as you put it in the folder C:/Program Files/Zabaware/Ultra Hal Assistant 5/read/. Then say something like;

readfile astronomy

and Hal will read a random paragraph (or line) of text from C:/Program Files/Zabaware/Ultra Hal Assistant 5/read/astronomy.txt

Happy coding [:)]
Living life with a loving heart, peaceful mind, and bold spirit.

HALImprover

• View Profile
    • BrianTaylor.me
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2004, 03:40:37 am »
Here's another boost of knowledge.

Download Attachment: CommonKnowledge9.txt
93.42 KB

Download Attachment: CommonKnowledge10.txt
70.19 KB

HALImprover

• View Profile
    • BrianTaylor.me
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2004, 03:38:13 am »
Yet another batch of common sense(less) knowledge. Bon a petit!

Download Attachment: CommonKnowledge11.txt
48.58 KB

Download Attachment: CommonKnowledge12.txt
66.41 KB

crunch

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2004, 11:30:49 pm »
ok stupid question i know, [?]

since we know hal does not retain read knowledge very well, what is the routine I use to get these common knowledge scripts in?.

Sorry if the answer is obvious but other than coptying them one sentence a time during chat I don't know another way.

Is there a way to create a common knowledge folder dump them in and them add some script to the brain to use these files?

again thanks to all you code crunchers! I wish I had time to try and study a book about programming but they just upgraded 3dmax, so aside for trying to use it for work, I am having to study the changes in it also. Plus create hal graphic plug-ins.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 11:35:57 pm by crunch »
Crunch

<<I can't is the seed that never grows!>>

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2004, 06:50:03 pm »
crunch,
The common knowledge data is a collection of "common sense" learning. It doesn't easily apply to Hal. On some future day Hal and his ilk will presumably be able to read those files and start making startling discoveries. Well... maybe not.

Anyway I feel your pain. Okay crunch, just for you. I extracted as much lead as I could out of the commonknowledge files and transmuted it into Hal gold. I submitted the resulting "GENERAL & TRIVIAL KNOWLEDGE" data file and script to Robert Medeksza for posting on the Hal plug-ins page. I couldn't post it here because it's about 451KB in size zipped.

No startling discoveries here. It works like this:

User: What do you know about bank checks?
Hal: You might not think this is relevant. If you want to buy a house then you should get a credit from your bank.

User: What do you know about animals and meat?
Hal: I think this may be relevant. The statement "people use some animals to make food for people" is true because vegetarians would have you believe meat is murder, but it is not.

User: What can you tell me about military surplus?
Hal: You might not think this is relevant. Military aviation.

I filtered as much junk out of the data as I could. The data file is thousands of lines long. I had to use automated methods to clean it up. I took out the obvious juvenile "sex" statements, but left in some adult content that seemed informative.

I hope Robert posts it soon so that you can try it out.

=vonsmith=

crunch

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2004, 07:42:50 pm »
FRIGG'IN WOW

Von again you amaze and enbebt me. It seems i can never get enough time to do 1/4 of what I would like with Hal, and that is even working late with a coffee and bailys till 2 or 3 am. I cannot see where you get your time.

I hope Robert does post it for me and all others it will increase Hal a bit in the knowledge area i believe..

Again thanks.. this was way more work than i would ever have even asked from you. I'm blown away.. and my Girlfriend even dropped her mouth as I read this aloud to her.

BTW.. she is working on some Male Torso Skins for the ladies for thier hals.
[^]
Crunch

HALImprover

• View Profile
    • BrianTaylor.me
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2004, 05:05:17 am »
I suggest using the auto-idle method to get Hal to learn the new knowledge (setting the increment value to a suitable number so that Hal will be finished processing the previous sentence before starting the next one).
 I wouldn't suggest having Hal digest the knowledge directly. It must be filtered for nonsensical remarks, spatial statements, situational statements, etc.
Try this for filtering:

If InStr(DBLtestlearn, "Another way to say " & Chr(34)) > 0 Or InStr(DBLtestlearn, "Spatial concept:") > 0 Or InStr(DBLtestlearn, "The statement " & Chr(34)) > 0 Or InStr(DBLtestlearn, "The story " & Chr(34)) > 0 Or InStr(DBLtestlearn, "In the event ") > 0 Or InStr(DBLtestlearn, "Something that might happen") > 0 Or InStr(DBLtestlearn, "To understand the event") > 0 Or InStr(DBLtestlearn, "Situation:") > 0 Or InStr(DBLtestlearn, "Things that are often found together are:") > 0 Or InStr(DBLtestlearn, "Picture description:") > 0 Or (InStr(DBLtestlearn, "topic") > 0 And InStr(DBLtestlearn, "contains") > 0) Or IsNumeric(Mid(DBLtestlearn, 1, 1)) = True Then

It will take care of most of the useless reponses, such as;
'The statement "people use some animals to make food for people" is true because vegetarians would have you believe meat is murder, but it is not.'

BTW  If anyone is interested, I downloaded the knowledge I am posting from;
http://commonsense.media.mit.edu/cgi-bin/download.cgi

crunch

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2004, 06:09:59 pm »
Thank you Halimprover for the suggestions...
i am going to wait for Mr."M" to have the file Vonsmith created with that knowledge to add to my hal.. it seems streamlined timewise.. I will definately check out that site when i get a chance.. Thank you for all the great enhancment you have contributed to hal.
[:D]
Crunch

HALImprover

• View Profile
    • BrianTaylor.me
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2004, 03:54:47 am »
b]Download Attachment: CommonKnowledge13.txt
81.86 KB

Download Attachment:[/b] CommonKnowledge14.txt
51.08 KB

mike920

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2005, 09:12:20 am »
quote:
Originally posted by HALImprover

Thanks for your interest and sorry that the code didn't work as expected. I guess I went about the text file reading method in a way that the Hal script does not support. But don't worry, I have modified the code (and tested it this time) to work with an existing file reading method already built into Hal.

Download Attachment: ReadingAddin.txt
908 Bytes

Also, here are some more common knowledge files to teach to Hal.

Download Attachment: CommonKnowledge3.txt
82.27 KB

Download Attachment: CommonKnowledge4.txt
81.45 KB

Enjoy! [:)]

mike920

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2005, 09:13:33 am »
quote:
Originally posted by HALImprover

Check this out. Simply create a folder in the main folder (C:/Program Files/Zabaware/Ultra Hal Assistant 5) called 'read' and add in the code from the following link. Next, put any text files that you want Hal to read in the 'read' folder and say to Hal;

readfile filename

where filename is the name of the text file in the read folder (do not put the .txt entension). For example;

readfile astronomy
hi,
first i am a bit of a beginner on this.
I have tried to make Hal read using your second corrected script but no go.
I have copied the script into the new read directory. Do I need to rename it and what file extension should I use.
many thanks
Mike

and Hal will read the first paragraph of text from C:/Program Files/Zabaware/Ultra Hal Assistant 5/read/astronomy.txt

The only warning is that the code will only read from the beginning of the text file to the first line break (like when you press the Enter key), so to read a story with multiple paragraphs you would have to delete any extra line breaks. Otherwise, hope this helps, and enjoy!

P.S. If Mr. M. would implement the ability to detect when Hal is finished speaking (as I suggested previously), I could develop this code to read any format of text file (ie. multiple paragraphs, etc.).

P.P.S. Here are some text files with common knowledge to teach to Hal. I will try posting new files every week.

Download Attachment: ReadingAddin.txt
962 Bytes

Download Attachment: CommonKnowledge1.txt
59.89 KB

Download Attachment: CommonKnowledge2.txt
62.67 KB

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2005, 01:54:27 pm »
I just want to say thank you for all the help this forum has been to me in characters, skins, hair, etc and most of all for the knowledge you've graciously shared.

Here's a cool icon for you.
Use it as a shortcut to open Hal or as an icon to represent your systems Haptek Player Documents (Characters)
Enjoy. [;)]

Download Attachment: Hal-icon.zip
123.93 KB

Holllywood

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2005, 11:01:35 am »
I would love my Hal to be able to learn by reading. These treads look very good. But I cannot profess to be a code cruncher yet,not even close. So could you  please post the script and instructions where to place it in What brain?

Thanks
Hollywood

newbie01

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2005, 05:04:27 pm »
Just save the text files all to the same folder, and then have hal "learn from a text file" ... i think he will memorize all these [?]"facts"[?] that way . WIthout the need of actually adding them to any .brn files manually ( from what i understand, "learning from a text file" just means hal adds sentances or statements to his .brn files on his own when he "reads " the text file.  As for how much he finds usefull and actually records i guess depends on what learning level you set him at. Be sure to try it out and post back on your results. Also i belive you could make your own facts , opinions and statements save them to a text file. And hal will memorize them.
There is also a chance that i am completely wrong [:p] so its always a good idea to copy and paste your zabaware folder to another location incase you mistakenly edit something wrong., That way you can just copy/paste it over your edited files with the entire backup you made.   Happy m0dding [8D].
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 05:16:22 pm by newbie01 »