Zabaware Forums > General Discussion

LIGHTSPEED IDEA'S

<< < (6/9) > >>

lightspeed:
I had the idea that it would be nice for a more personalized weather plug in  with hal. in another words if you asked the weather and it had your area code  hal would give the temp  but also add in other things like the wind is currently  15 miles and hour etc. , their's suppose to be a 20 percent chance of rain tonight . ( this info would be from the read online weather but adding in a more personalized human sounding reading .
maybe having the personalized section editable , so users can adjust the words etc.
anyway just another idea  i had thought about .  :)

Art:
Lightspeed,

There has been a Weather Plugin that I have always used and it has been available for many years!
It's called the Weather Alert v.5.uhp and it is 16 KB in size.

I can ask it to check the current temperature or conditions, wind speed, etc., or what I like best is that sometimes it will alert me on its own if it determines that the current conditions might pose a hazard like: "It's currently 10 degrees outside. It is extremely cold so be careful." or something to that effect.

The user will need to supply their particular local airport or airfield Code for the Plugin to know which location to report.

They will need to go to: https://w1.weather.gov/
Near the top left, enter their City and State then they will see a location with a 4-letter CODE.
In your case use the Kirksville Regional Airport (KIRK) code.

There are 7 locations inside of the Plugin to supply that 4-letter code (replace it with the ones that are shown in the Plugin).
This is a typical line that will need to have the existing CODE replaced: objXMLDoc.load("http://w1.weather.gov/xml/current_obs/KAOH.xml")
(Those 4 letters are for Lima, Ohio).

The Line Numbers are:

Be sure to SAVE the Plugin after you have made the substitutions for your location.

PS - Use any text editor and look inside of the Weather plugin to see the different phrases it has that the user might say or ask for.

lightspeed:
THANKS ART,  yeah i seem to remember that plug in and it had some phrases .

lightspeed:
HAL VISION USING A ROTATING CAMERA . COULD A CAMERA LIKE THIS ALLOW HAL TO VISUALLY CHECK AROUND THE ROOM , IDENTIFY THINGS , ETC. ??  ;)

Art:
You just keep coming up with really cool, interesting, and practical ideas!  It would require some kind of interface between HAL and the Camera and it would have to be timed before it either looked at another object or rotated.

HAL could store all its "KNOWN" objects into a database and then later maybe the user could ask what items it saw or discovered on a given day or time. It would make for a really nice experiment!!

Then again, we can't even get HAL's vision to work so I fear such an idea would be a long way off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version