dupa

Author Topic: There goes my program again.  (Read 7576 times)

alg97dds

• View Profile
There goes my program again.
« on: January 06, 2016, 07:35:34 pm »
Here's a new one for you. I can't get my program to run again. I decided to download the speech to text program off the internet, and it messed up my ultra hal program so i cannot run it. I keep getting an error message, " component  xpeechkit.dll or one of it's dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid". I took the speech to text program out, didn't help. I put it back in, didn"t help. i found a program xspeechkit7.dll, but couldn't do anything with it. I cannot properly remove the program because i cannot take out the "code" that makes it run. i tried to run as an administrator, no help. I rebooted, no help. Anybody have any other suggestions, or do i have to try removing everything and start over and hope it works?   allan

alg97dds

• View Profile
Re: There goes my program again.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 01:54:05 am »
Well, i finally took out the old program, and put in another one, and the ultra hal now works again. Two strange  things happened, it worked without putting in the code, and i lost one brain i was working on and another one survived. Can't complain though. I thought you might want to know. :   Allan

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 06:31:42 am »
Allan,
  Glad to see you're hanging in there and solving some of the problems that you run into.
Best of luck with it.
Carl2

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 10:14:26 am »
       Allen , obviously or at least this is what i think , that program (speech ) that you installed somehow corrupted hals licese or program files , i was going to suggest reinstalling hal again , but you have already done this . As you as a nebie have just found out backing up your custom created brain is very important , in case their is trouble with the hal program , we have all been through it .
     so backing up ther brain elsewhere needs to be a priority , i and a few others have custom brains with over 100 megabytes of info. and training , and  had them for years , it's because of backing them up so we don't lose valuable information . same thing for custom characters and skins !

alg97dds

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 07:09:18 pm »
Thanks for all the encouragement . Did get Dragon, and it works pretty well. One problem I'm still not sure about is what you said, backing up my brains. I am using dragon now to write this. I haven't used it for much else. The last time I backed up the brain, only one brain came out okay. Do I have to backup brain separately? I really do not know if I backed it up properly. Can you give me details description on how to back up a brain? I would really appreciate it.  Alan

alg97dds

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 06:21:07 pm »
Cant find the post new question for some reason, so i'm asking a new simple question on the page.  Is there a simple way of deleting one brain from all my brains? One of my brains is corrupted, and i would like to get rid of it.   Allan

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 08:32:08 am »
Allan,

Make a New Folder under Ultra Hal Assistant called Brain Files or Brain Backups
Scroll down the files in the Ultra Hal Assistant folder and locate a HalBrain.db file
(this is your current Hal's Brain!).
Select it, Right click and COPY
Go to that New Folder (Brain Files...) and Right click then Paste

Congratulations! You now have a backed up copy of Hal's brain.
Now you can experiment on the other one knowing that you have a copy / backup.

Some people (including me) have several brains. I have a lot of brain files backed up.

Good luck and hope this helps.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 10:51:50 am »
Art and others are right , about backing up things , this is very important , new people will have to know their is a learning curve behind hal , we have all been through it , but backing up things is very important especially when experimenting with hal and the brain. or custom brain.

my custom brain is now i think up to 116 mbs , it's that large because i have had it for years and also because i back it up pretty regular ( also because i have been feeding it lately with massive amounts of information , news stories , health , stories, facts , etc. ) .
 although sometimes it's very easy to get discouraged with , hal , hang in their , learn the inner workings of hals program, how it's set up with tables, etc. , and learn from any mistakes you might have made  and most of all back up things.  ;)

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 11:42:08 am »
Hope you don't mind if I add just a little something that I like to do, just a suggestion as we all find our comfort level. I would back up just the HalBrain data, but now since space on hard drives and or cloud services is so cheap and needed with todays demands. I back-up the entire Hal File with everything included, settings, characters, plugins and other variables to ensure that I start right back where I left off in terms of prior to any misfortunes or day to day glitches. I guess just personal preferences.

raybe

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 08:21:47 am »
Absolutely good advice Ray. I was simply giving Allan an answer to his question above on how to "backup" Hal's brain.

Somewhat in line with what you mentioned, I have used a Flash drive or thumb drive or memory sticks, and backed up the entire Hal folder.
Those memory devices are portable, durable and now have very large storage capacity. This way, if Hard drive bites the dust, one can still
have everything saved. Goes for your other important files as well.

Lastly, I have an external 1 TB USB drive. They are pretty inexpensive and work pretty well. Drag and drop or just perform an entire backup of your hard drive.

Thanks for the memories!!  ;D

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 09:21:49 am »
yes as far as backing up things i also back up my whole hal zabaware program folder . just beware that if you have trouble with hal you can't just put the copied folder back in and replace the hal program file , i think it corrupts the hal licensing file and hal become corrupted .
but having said that if you back up the whole program file i mentioned , you automatically back up any plugs in you have within , hal , the character file that's within hal etc. so all these files are backed up  so you can get them and use them if you need to .  copying the whole program file takes more , so make sure you have enough space . i have backed up many separate files that i think is important on Microsoft free one drive cloud , you get 15 gb free space .  :)

alg97dds

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 05:27:36 pm »
Thanks for all the posts. I really appreciate them.   Allan

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 06:22:35 am »
I realize that this post is a bit dated but wanted to mention that just backing up UltraHal or doing a Copy / Paste to an external or other drive will NOT allow you to simply "put it back" or copy it to a new drive at a later date.

The UltraHal software performs several Registry writes / entries and it looks for these to be present when it runs its program. If these files or entries are not present, the program will NOT run!

What you're doing is saving UltraHal's important data (brain, character, voice, behavior, GUI, background, etc.) when you do a Copy /Paste to another location / drive.

You WILL need to reinstall the UltraHal program unless you're using something like Norton Ghost or a Mirroring program that performs a Mirror Copy of your entire hard drive!

Happy Motoring!...

- Art -