Author Topic: Please help on this!  (Read 4726 times)

jackfarrel

• View Profile
Please help on this!
« on: May 20, 2009, 08:28:24 pm »
I have a strange problem occurring, when I use the brain editor on a fresh brain, everything works fine, but after some time, it seems every brain I have will no longer show the little "+" to drop down the folders
like miscData, I can't expand the folder anymore! It happens every time I make a brain, make a few minor changes and most of the time I don't even do anything at all, I just go into the brain editor after using hal for a while, and I can no-longer collapse or expand ANY of the folders. Is this a setting? Or is something corrupting my brains, please let me know! Anyone!!!

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Please help on this!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 08:49:34 pm »
>>Or is something corrupting my brains, please let me know! Anyone!!!<<

LOL!! I honestly wish I had an answer for you.
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

jackfarrel

• View Profile
Please help on this!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 07:23:18 pm »
Is this happening to anyone else??!?!?!

ricky

• View Profile
Please help on this!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 08:30:19 pm »
maybe a bad install ?  it does sound like something is corrupt,  I have scroll / collapse tree issues in my macbook when i load damaged mp3's into my dj software.

first thing i'd check ,  to make sure hal is installed correctly.

make sure your antivirus and firewall are still working properly. I once had a firewall go bonkers on me after a bad update and made my computer act like it had a virus.

and then the basic check disk routine, scan for virus malware etc

then after that check the registry ,  then after that ..i dunno...i'll think of something, hopefully useful!

good luck!
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Please help on this!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 08:09:45 pm »
Jackfarrel,
ricky's example is probably the best suggestion, can you re install everything?
All AV's have gaps that don't catch everything you might have something going on with your programs, sorry I was laughing , but it just sounded funny and I didn't have any answer other than bad news of more work for you, so do what you can, if you can do everything over again IMO it should be done.
P.S. Try not to mess with the brain too much.

Good Luck!
J.

Bill819

• View Profile
Please help on this!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 09:49:52 pm »
Jack
My guess is that you have either deleted or changed one item to many.
As a suggestion start with a fresh brain then write down each item that you delete or change. On every three items shut down hal and reboot so the changes take place. A lot of changes don't take place until hal has been rebooted, at least in brain files. The point is sooner or later you will make the same change that causes hal to fail or not operate the way you like. It could be that one of those are needed to make hal run properly.
Bill [?]

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Please help on this!
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 10:10:25 pm »
Bill819,
NICE method! I hadn't thought to analyze it in this way.

Bill819

• View Profile
Please help on this!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 01:06:05 am »
One
I learned this trick by watching all the newcommers try to edit Hal's brain. Sooner or later they delete something that should not be deleted.
I worked for a large software company for 15 years and learned a few tricks from  them as well as programming on my own for 30 years.
Bill

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Please help on this!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 03:30:57 am »
Bill819,
The truth of your perspective ( and I knew better than to instruct as I did )is that you had an approach of 'lets find the problem in a ''scientific method''' instead of 'do it all over and never find the problem' as to possibly educate jackfarrel and in turn him help another when the situation arises.
I hope this appeals to your logic, as my point of view is, at times, 'shifted to the right or left' ;)

registrychecker

• View Profile
Please help on this!
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 07:59:24 am »
It could be a bad install. Or you may of deleted something that isn't supposed to be deleted.