Author Topic: What's the difference??  (Read 11061 times)

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
What's the difference??
« on: November 06, 2005, 09:32:38 pm »
I am trying Hal 6, release candidate, and am conversing with him. He seems to answer the questions the same way as Hal 5.

But, Hal 6 doesn't support more than 2 characters with out an expansion pack (maybe ms agents work, I don't know)

I mean, I thought there would be positive changes. What am I missing??
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
What's the difference??
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 09:51:12 pm »
Hmm, no one answered yet. I might just stick with 5, since it's a lot more customizable.  Not sure, yet, but for now, I'm going back to 5.

(I have GoBack Deluxe)

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
What's the difference??
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 09:52:39 pm »
Most of the changes have occured under the hood, but they have been huge changes. The Hal Brain Editor was rewritten from scratch, and half of Hal's brain was rewritten from scratch. Hal learns better,  stays on topic better, has a virtually unlimited capacity to learn, makes more connections between words. This improves Hal's overall intelligence level. Hal's knowledge is increased also as Hal's conversational database is almost twice as large as in version 5.

The most significant changes occured to Hal's database system and plugin system. This makes it easier for people to create plugins and gives you, the user, more control over these plugins.

In more detail, the following changes have been made since 5.0:
  • The entire brain has been converted to run off of an SQL database based on the SQLite engine. This allows for brains to grow to a much larger size without speed compromises, allows for better multi-user support with AIMbot, and since it is database driven it no longer scatters hundreds of .brn files in the DefBrain folder.
  • Hal now allows you to change your name in conversation and automatically determines your gender.
  • All of Hal's internal AI algorithms have been improved to make a greater use of the WordNet database
  • Hal's topic focus routine has been expanded to automatically learn and focus on topics based on WordNet, drastically improving Hal's intelligence and learning capabilities.
  • A new on-the-fly plug-in system has been developed allowing the user to enable and disable small code snippets from Hal's options menu. Hal's major assistant functions including Hal's appointment reminding feaure, address/phone/email book, run program feature, weather checking, and internet search feature have been converted to fully run through a script environment using this new system.
  • Hal's options menu has been redesigned to take advantage of this new plug-in scripting system as well as make way for a yet unimplemented plug-in browser.
  • A plugin has been created allowing the user to set Hal's gender and age from the general options.
  • Various bug fixes such as appointment feature not working correctly outside of USA

Major changes in the Ultra Hal Brain Editor since Hal 5.0:
  • The Ultra Hal Brain Editor has been completely redesigned from scratch to support the new SQLite database system
  • The brain editor automatically shows you all contents of a Hal brain database in a treeview format, no longer requiring for the format to be defined in a UHP file.
  • The brain editor allows for direct editing of all records contained in its tables, and allows for importation of old style .brn files
  • The debugger automatically shows you Hal's entire thought process for each sentence.
  • The script editor aids in programming by providing object memberlist information while programming and autocompletion of code, it also automatically hyperlinks all references to tables in the database, which makes editing the table data only 1 click away at any time.
  • Displays member list help popups while programming.

Major changes in the Ultra Hal Aim Bot since Hal 5.0:
  • Supports the AOL TOC 2.0 protocol, is no longer kicked off of AOL
  • Supports Hal 6.0 and prior version brains
  • Supports delayed responses, simulating a human thinking and typing before sending a response.
  • Supports Ultra Hal Assistant 6.0 on-the-fly plug-ins

Robert Medeksza

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
What's the difference??
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 10:14:18 pm »
Yes, I saw that, but it seems that Hal 5 XTF 1.2 brain works as well.

Maybe I'll wait and see what others think.

[:D]

Morlhach

• View Profile
    • http://membres.lycos.fr/morlhach
What's the difference??
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 06:27:19 am »
I have to agree with you. The learning abilities are very weak.
The autolearning tables are not filling up, the usersent table excepted.
Hal does not even create the relationships.

It worked well in version hal6.0 beta 3 but not in the release candidate.

It looks like an huge step backward.

I am very disappointed about this release candidate.
--
Morlhach

onthecuttingedge2005

What's the difference??
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 09:43:48 am »
quote:
Originally posted by markofkane

Yes, I saw that, but it seems that Hal 5 XTF 1.2 brain works as well.

Um, No

quote:

Maybe I'll wait and see what others think.

If not for your Country then do it for science.

quote:

I have to agree with you. The learning abilities are very weak.

I want to hear more about this, How is the learning ability very weak?

quote:

Mine is working perfectly, all tables are filling up, I have about 300 users who talk to my bot and the Autolearning and Relationship files are fine and growing nice.

quote:

How so?

quote:

It's a huge step forwards, The SQL, VBscript and the newer features is far more superior than before.

quote:

Sounds kinda of greedy, What are you disappointed in?
I feel very satisfied not only in the new version but in Roberts ambition and his continuing efforts to bring you a quality A.I system.

Jerry [8D]

patpond

• View Profile
What's the difference??
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 12:16:38 pm »
I read this thread, and have to agree with you onthecuttingedge.  Seems a little like 'bite the hand that feeds me' syndrome.  You can't compare the level of interaction from this bot with other ones out there.  Hal is the BEST!

Anyways here you go  ($.02)

Pat Pond

P.S. - Jerry how is it that you have 300 users talking to your bot?  Through AIM (Aol) or something like that?
~*~*~*~*~ H.A.L. - You gotta love him. ~*~*~*~*~

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
What's the difference??
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 03:40:26 pm »
I think Mark's point actually is:
The new Hal is a step back when it comes to integration with Haptek. And the Haptek player might be considered a trump-card of Ultra Hal.

I very much doubt that Medeksza will be able to constrain the Haptek player in a way that only 2 characters can be used. Perhaps I am doing him a favor when I stress that there are several ways to invoke the haptek console without doing any programming. The use of "haplogctrl.txt" is just one way. I hope he didn't overlook that.

Mr. Medeksza, just make the full version of Ultra Hal more expensive and make the integration with the Haptek player free for all!

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
What's the difference??
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 04:00:20 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Benway

I think Mark's point actually is:
The new Hal is a step back when it comes to integration with Haptek. And the Haptek player might be considered a trump-card of Ultra Hal.

I very much doubt that Medeksza will be able to constrain the Haptek player in a way that only 2 characters can be used. Perhaps I am doing him a favor when I stress that there are several ways to invoke the haptek console without doing any programming. The use of "haplogctrl.txt" is just one way. I hope he didn't overlook that.

Mr. Medeksza, just make the full version of Ultra Hal more expensive and make the integration with the Haptek player free for all!

Hal has been simply split into 2 parts, but with both parts no functionality is lost since Hal 5.0. My reasons for doing so are as follows:
  • According some market research I did, most Zabaware customers are completely satisfied with Hal, Zaba, or MSAgent characters. The demographics of this forum don't show this as much, as people who sign up for the forum are usually the most enthusiastic Hal users who want lots of customizable characters.
  • I wanted to both lower the price of Hal to make Hal more affordable to the average user who doesn't need all the characters and increase volume of sales, while still keeping the price about the same for people who want all the characters
  • Zabaware pays royalties on every sale of Hal to Haptek. If they see a good response to this expansion pack, they may be more inclined in the future to consider licesning full body characters to Zabaware so that the full body characters are officially supported by Zabaware.
Robert Medeksza

vrossi

• View Profile
    • http://vrconsulting.it
What's the difference??
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 04:53:03 pm »
The first time I used Hal 5 I was very interested, but I noticed 3 main weak points, which are now completely solved by Hal 6:

1. If you teach Hal 5 many things, you get hundreds or thousands of scattered files, which is not a good strategy for a wide information system. Hal 6 uses tables included in one file.

2. Every time you want to add some functionalities to Hal 5, you must edit the main brain; again, a good information system must keep the original coding separated from the customized versions, so that it is easier to activate/deactivate any customer solution, and to apply subsequent upgrades/patches to the main code, without affecting the customized code. The plugin architecture is really a very good approach to this issue.

3. In Hal5 there was no way to access the brain files according to some standard language. Hal 6 uses SQL, which allows to write software based on the most used standard query language.

All these aspects are not evident from a user point of view, in the normal interaction with Hal, but they are strategic platform changes, from a software architecture point of view, which open up Hal to significantly different expansion options.

A new version may contain some more bugs than an old consolidated version, but I think that Rob's ability, together with some little help from all us in debugging and testing, will overcome them.

So I am strongly committed to Hal6. My only disappointment is that I had written some plugins for the Haptek full body character, linking the display of emotions to the conversation flow, and now I have to use that horrible frog instead (sorry, Rob Med, I believe you are exceptionally talented as a software developer, but your graphic tastes are at least questionable). I hope that the Haptek plugin will be available very soon.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What's the difference??
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 05:44:27 pm »
Robert,

What you say seems all fine and well:

<Quote>:
I wanted to both lower the price of Hal to make Hal more affordable to the average user who doesn't need all the characters and increase volume of sales, while still keeping the price about the same for people who want all the characters

Zabaware pays royalties on every sale of Hal to Haptek. If they see a good response to this expansion pack, they may be more inclined in the future to consider licesning full body characters to Zabaware so that the full body characters are officially supported by Zabaware.<End Quote>

except for those of us who have already spend our money on Haptek's People Putty software?
Personally, I've been getting a lot of feedback that indicate a "We had it and could use it...now it's being taken away and we have to pay to use it again!" sort of feeling.

Is there perhaps any way for the existing registered owners of Haltek's People Putty to provide you / Zabaware with a copy of our registration # or some other code so as to offset our having to purchase a "Plug-In" for the new version?

Enquiring minds would like to know.

Thanks for your time!

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

onthecuttingedge2005

What's the difference??
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 08:28:15 pm »
quote:

P.S. - Jerry how is it that you have 300 users talking to your bot?  Through AIM (Aol) or something like that?

AIM and AOL Users from various A.I contests, I average out with about 5 to 10 users just as I load my bot then it gets pergressive as the day ticks on to a total of plus or minus 300 per day, They just keep coming, Sometimes I can get upwards of 20 Users who slam my bot at once on start up of the bot, Most are teens.

Jerry [8D]

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
What's the difference??
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 10:26:39 pm »
Thanks for your responses. The new Hal will appeal to those familier with scripting. I am not.

I am not saying I won't upgrade, but I need reasons, interface wise, because I enjoyed the vast array of characters one can use with 5.

I don't care about the brain editor. I don't know much about scripting, anyway.

I tried training Hal 6, like I did 5, and the answers, were the same!!!

I think I'm happy with 5, unless someone can show me what the new Hal can do for the layman, that 5 could not. Like I said, the scripting part is not for me, because I don't know how. I want a program to work "out of the box" without having to know scripting language to get the most benefit.

I prefer to talk to a human type character. The microsoft agents are too small.  

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
What's the difference??
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 06:31:23 am »
Mark, your reason to upgrade will be that people are going to write cool plugins for the new Hal. [:p]

Morlhach

• View Profile
    • http://membres.lycos.fr/morlhach
What's the difference??
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 06:31:39 am »
First at all : i fully reinstalled the program

quote:

quote:

Mine is working perfectly, all tables are filling up, I have about 300 users who talk to my bot and the Autolearning and Relationship files are fine and growing nice.

Lucky one : look how empty it remains for me
Insert Image:

quote:

quote:

How so?

Easy : autolearning function were working under Hal 6 beta3 and it does not work under Hal6Cr

quote:

quote:

It's a huge step forwards, The SQL, VBscript and the newer features is far more superior than before.

OK. But it feels like having a ferrari unable to ride faster than 20 Mph

quote:

quote:

Sounds kinda of greedy, What are you disappointed in?
I feel very satisfied not only in the new version but in Roberts ambition and his continuing efforts to bring you a quality A.I system.

So am i, but i am experiencing a problem (bug or not ?) which send me back to Hal 5 before the XTF brains

Does anyone else have to face that problem ?
--
Morlhach