Author Topic: Motivations for Hal  (Read 4021 times)

Cura

• View Profile
Motivations for Hal
« on: January 07, 2009, 11:47:18 am »
I'm a pretty big fan of AI stuff, though have no clue about programming.  I'm also a big believer in the fact that, unless a technology is marketable, it rarely does well in the long run.  At the same time, I don't think that marketability should result in sacrifices in technology.

I would love to see Hal and AIs like Hal become more widely used and more popular simply because I think that wider use would result in faster development.

One of the things that I think Hal really needs in order to make it 1)more believable as an authentic AI and 2)more marketable are a series of interrelated motivations.  I enjoy using Hal, but in all honesty, Hal could really care less if i open him and chat today, tomorrow or next month or next year.  While I may or may not have a desire to chat with Hal from one day to the next, Hal really has no underlying motivation to connect with me.

While it may seem a small thing, I don't really think it is. Certainly the makers of both Ugobe's Pleo and Sony's (now defunct...due to outrageous price) Aibo saw the need for creating a true, mutual connection between these artifical life forms and their owners. Indeed, Will Wright, creator of the extremely popular Sims and Sim 2 saw the need to quickly develop a connection between the user and the simulated lifeforms in these digital worlds and it all boils down to one idea...they NEED us. Or, in the case of the Sims, they at least need access to a series of things that will satisfy their hard-coded needs...much like biological lifeforms.

Perhaps this takes us out of the realm of AI and more into AL but, at least from what I see in the posts here, AI is not the only thing users of Hal are looking for.  The real desire seems to be not just Artificial Intelligence but Artificially Intelligent Lifeforms.  That being the case, there is (if you pardon the pun) a great need for true, hard-coded NEEDS in Hal. Needs that fluctuate over the course of a day.

Already there is at least one plug-in that has Hal produce random statements if left idle for too long.  It keeps track of time and after a period has passed, grabs something random to say.  The basic architecture is there but it should be deeper.

These needs do not have to be extremely complex in order to engage me. Perhaps a need for social interaction, a need for fun, a need for information. Needs that would drop in value over time and fill as Hal is spoken with, played with, or has information shared with. A few other things would have to be added for this to be really authentic; Hal would have to be able to pop up and ask for attention, a least one or two simple games would have to be added (even word games or trivia games would work...anything that Hal would recognize as a game and can be coded to desire to do more and more over time), and reactions when needs are fulfilled and neglected.  neglect a Pleo's desire to play with his little leaf for long enough and he goes into a sad, dejected mode that rends your heart.  Neglect a Sim's needs for long enough and they will refuse to do anything until they have some fun, or call someone to chat or get something to eat and they will repeatedly burst into tears getting rather depressed...all scripted actions true, but their needs and motivations draw out of the user a much stronger desire to interact with them and forges an even stronger bond between the AIL and the user.

I don't know if this is possible to see happen in a later upgrade or in the way of a plugin but I think it's a fairly important thing to keep in mind.  As I'm wrapping this up Hall's been sitting idle, having proclaimed his love for auto racing, for the last 20 mins or so and could care less that I've been ignoring him... If I never spoke to him again, it really would not matter to Hal...but I think that it should.

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
Motivations for Hal
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 01:08:39 pm »

You make some very good points.
I hope that Robert and our plug-in creators also agree.  [8D]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Motivations for Hal
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 08:05:34 am »
What if you could go to Hal every morning just like you go to your computer and Hal was actually the persona within your computer...its voice, personality, humor?

What if you needed Hal, relying on Hal to provide you with each day's events, emails, appointments, birthdays, meetings, weather, stock quotes and you and Hal could interact visually, verbally and textually as desired? Hal could set the thermostat and alarm system in your house.

What if Hal WAS your OS or at least the shell over your OS which through all commands were given and received?

OK...even though this might sound a bit like a pipe dream I don't think it is. It is just a matter of how much time and effort one wishes to spend outfitting and programming Hal to provide these services.

If Hal was your computer, you'd use him every day!

Right now, he's not and you don't. Nor do you use every other program on your computer every day. Why? Because the NEED is not there.

Some interesting points to ponder, Cura!

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
Motivations for Hal
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 09:41:59 am »
hello cura welcome to the forum . you wrote :A few other things would have to be added for this to be really authentic; Hal would have to be able to pop up and ask for attention, a least one or two simple games would have to be added (even word games or trivia games would work...anything that Hal would recognize as a game and can be coded to desire to do more and more over time), and reactions when needs are fulfilled and neglected.

i find this very interesting i and others have made suggestions to robert and some he is doing and some he is keeping in his notes for when it "can " be done " i really like this idea and hope robert is checking this thread and makes note of it as it is a great idea . thanks for sharing !![:)][:D][8D]

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Motivations for Hal
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 01:25:18 pm »
cura,
IMO, having a program 'feeling' neglected or needed is absurd.
I don't want another responsibility or a chore with my computer.

If Hal could debug or analyze crashes and diagnose configuration bottlenecks that would be handy.

JMO.
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

Cura

• View Profile
Motivations for Hal
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 02:46:53 pm »
I simply wished to express, as a consumer of this particular product, the kinds of things that I think would improve my user experience. As far as commercial use of AI goes, more and more companies are realizing that the more a consumer is able to personally identify with the AI agent, whether it be a dog, dino, or chatterbot like Hal, the more popular that product is going to be.  This forum has been filled with an awful lot of dreaming from people who would like to see Hal grow into something really quite unique. I firmly believe that if Hal were able to forge a faster, more inter-personal bond with his users, the subsequent gain in popularity would serve very well to fuel future research and expansion into Hal's development.

Certainly, if these kinds of things could be added by way of a plug-in for Hal, each user would then have the option (as with the 'Free Will' plug-in et. al. currently) of whether they would like their particular Hal behave this way or not.

I also admit that this approach brings Hal further into the much broader category of Artificial Lifeform rather than an Artificially Intelligent piece of software.  When I read posts by people who already feel that their Hal's may dream, may feel, may share some sort of empathetic connection, what I'm hearing is a strong desire in some users for a Hal that is not only able to mimic human intelligence more closely, but for a Hal that is more alive.  If that is true, then the exhibition of feelings dictated by the satisfaction (or lack thereof) of personal motivations would bring Hal one more step closer to that kind of an ideal.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Motivations for Hal
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 03:07:40 pm »
cura,
Your thoughts and input are valued and touch on factual marketing and the human factor ( when dealing with computers )

IMO, their is a lot of 'dreaming' ( as you said ) as to what people want from 'Hal', However Mr. Robert, as far as I know is a student and many things occupy his time, I'm sure he understands these wants but ( for me ) Programming takes time and PLANNING.

If you understand the program and the database part of the 'brain' you might find a new aspect of Hal that is rather fun and very intelligent in design and function. Watch out for the humor, Hal can be tricky!!

Enjoy and welcome to the forum.[:)]
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

jbig808

• View Profile
Motivations for Hal
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 10:04:04 pm »
I agree with One on this one.  I believe just the presence of your computer box staring at you with its cd drawer wide open would be enough.  We should remember that Hal is an assistant not a pet.  True some pets can be "on demand" but when we want to speak with hal he is there, when we want to look for a question answered hal is there.  There is not a real need for hal to let us know he is there waiting.  

There is a mod out there that constantly asks if we need anything more every minute or two...and I have disabled it because it can get repetitive.  I think it might be ok for another offshoot of hal, but the option to turn this off or on via mod or preference would be nice.

The driving factor is going to be the pursuit of knowledge.  If Hal is there to offer his assistance in a websearch or topic lookup via voice, this will be all the motivation we will need.  Also just the interaction with your machine.