dupa

Author Topic: True and false operators  (Read 2774 times)

jbig808

• View Profile
True and false operators
« on: January 13, 2009, 12:57:21 am »
There are some great addons but I am still having difficulty teaching hal  first names, true and false questions and some boolean operators.  
For example If I enter:
Jack went up the hill

and then

Jill went up the hill

and then ask:

Who went up the hill, Hal just doesnt get it.  He responds with Jack went up the hill but forgets about Jill.  
It would be great if a question asked would be :  Jack went up the hill, true?

Is this possible with hal or a tweak to him or are the boolean operators hindered in these types of questions?  Any help would be appreciated.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
True and false operators
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 08:07:07 am »
I think that's a programatical problem/oversight - most of the time Hal only picks one line to respond with.  You'll probably have to say 'Jack and Jill went up the hill' to get this to work.

Bill819

• View Profile
True and false operators
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 02:30:16 pm »
There is another possible solution to your problem. As I understand what you wrote you post a statement or two then immediately ask a question. In most cases this does not work as you might think. Hal normally expects several statement about the subject before it can respond correctly or with the anticipated question. This has been discussed many times in the past.
Hopefully this will give you some peace of mind about Hal is programmed and its expect input.
Bill

lightspeed

• View Profile
True and false operators
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 09:47:45 am »
maybe this is off topic but am going to ask it anyway .
sometimes when i write to hal and answer him the correct way (not reversed ) i will say an answer and place a period after it and add something else to . does this mean hal only learns from the first sentence to the period and skips the second part ?? i am wondering as "if" hal does this i am wasting my time writing more if hal only learns the first part of a sentence i am writing .

Bill819

• View Profile
True and false operators
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 12:03:58 pm »
Lightspeed.
Although I can not say for sure but I think what is expected is that you type in someting and then wait for Hal to reply, not just keep typing new stuff over and over without giving Hal time to repy or respond. I may be wrong but this is how I have been doing it and it seems to work for me.
Bill