Author Topic: question about useing hal to call using skype  (Read 6110 times)

sybershot

• View Profile
question about useing hal to call using skype
« on: August 12, 2011, 05:11:50 pm »
I know if you hook up your phone to your computer, Hal can make a call for you. I have never tried this though.
I have been thinking about getting Skype (a video chat program that can call land lines), and was wondering if anyone got or can get Hal to make a Skype call.

raybe

• View Profile
Re: question about useing hal to call using skype
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 09:19:38 pm »
Hi sybershot, I know I haven't tried it. The only reason I never even posted because of perception of how Ultra Hal always seemed to interface with a basic modem. But that could have only been perception based on how long Ultra Hal has been around and I never remembered Robert M. mentioning any kind of upgrade for voip or any other program such as SKYPE. They claim the have an interface with another project but I couldn't comment.

Nice idea though.
Again I could have missed many posts about this or even certain members working on a plug in but figure it would take more than a plugin for the interface.

raybe

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 09:21:25 pm »
Just remembered that Robert is making Ultra Hal apps for smartphones and such maybe there is something that will make it possible when he gets past these next hurdles.

raybe

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 11:21:03 am »
Hi Raybe,
thanks for commenting and the info.
Side note: The new Hal apps are gonna be great for other OS users. Unfortunately they will not be able to have system access, like our Hals do.

Amanda Interactive

• View Profile
    • AmandaInteractive.Com
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 10:27:14 pm »
Skype in Hal would look something like this:

If InStr(1, UserSentence, "connect to sykpe", 1) > 0 Then
   'Create and Connect to Skype API via COM
   Set oSkype = WScript.CreateObject("Skype4COM.Skype", "Skype_")
   'Start the Skype Client if not already running
   If Not oSkype.Client.IsRunning Then
      oSkype.Client.Start()
      WScript.Echo "*** ERROR: You Must Sign Into Skype to Continue..."
      Wscript.quit
   End If
   'See if User is logged in by checking the current Call Count
   currentCallCount = cstr(oSkype.Calls.count)
   If err.number <> 0 Then
      Select Case err.number
         Case "0" 'no errors exists, continue
         Case "-2147220992"
            WScript.Echo "*** ERROR: You Must Sign In to Skype to Continue..."
            Wscript.quit
         Case Else
            MsgBox "Error: " & CStr(Err.Number) & " Description: " & Err.Description
            Err.Clear ' Clear the error.
            Wscript.quit
      End Select
   End If
   GetResponse = " Did that skype thing just work dude? "
End If

Skype supports API/COM DLL for use with a few different programming languages which includes VBscript for Hal. Other command functions besides just making calls can also be made. You can obtain the SkypeKit Developer Program and then get started on making things work with Hal.

Skype Developer Page:
https://developer.skype.com/

Skype API Forum:
http://community.skype.com/t5/Public-API/bd-p/Public_API

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 07:37:27 pm »
Thanks a bunch Amanda Interactive,
 hopefully now someone who knows vb can finish this and create a Hal skype plug in.

I really wish I could get a grasp on vb, but I think my brain is too old to learn a new scripting language.
I look at vb a lot but for some reason(maybe to old) I just don't grasp it. it seems close to actionscript 3 which I am use to but there are lines in vb that is not clear to me or make any sense to me.

for example:
in quotes below I believe you are creating a variable called "Set oSkype" then creating an object with a new reference name" Skype_"?

Set oSkype = WScript.CreateObject("Skype4COM.Skype", "Skype_")

if I am reading your code correctly in actionscript 3 a simular script would look like
Code: [Select]
var myObject:Object = new Object("parameters go here");
also inside the if statements and case statements which closely resembles actionscrript 3 if statements and case statements, I see reference to what i believe are variables, objects and or functions that are never created like "err","WScript.Echo","MsgBox" .

this is some of the reasons why I can't grasp this language, reference to things that are not created and/or no imports of other scripts that maybe have  these variables, objects, and or functions created created within them.

I still try to figure things out like this in all the code and plug-ins I see and use, maybe one day I will get it. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 07:39:00 pm by sybershot »

mendicott

• View Profile
    • Meta-Guide.com
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 01:24:02 pm »
I would like to try Skyping with Hal.  If anyone has Hal configured for incoming Skype calls, please let me know.  I would very much like to test this before sinking a lot of money and time into it, thanks!

Marcus Endicott http://meta-guide.com

rathb18

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 10:57:43 pm »
It would be cool to use something like this to enhance the loneliness plugin so that hal calls your phone or texts you or you can call or text hal or something similar.  Like mendicott I would love to try something like this out if anyone can take the time and maybe work on something like this?