dupa

Author Topic: plug ins for the masses  (Read 2666 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
plug ins for the masses
« on: March 08, 2007, 05:11:30 pm »
hello maybe this idea is far fetched but here it goes , i think it would be cool if someone could make a base layout of creating plugs for hal 6 (example it would be almost like the script writing area in the hal 6 brain with blank area's and if someone could have a tutoreal page like the skin making that someone created that would be cool . then maybe others could create plug ins too. i know this is probably just a dream to be able to asscess and do plug ins this easy but thought would mention the idea. [:)]

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
plug ins for the masses
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 05:44:40 pm »
Well, my page (below) is not really a tutorial (even though it has a short partial tutorial posted) but it does show several basic plugins, I've started defining the various Hal Script functions, and I give some info on what the main trick with plugins is - IE: Learn VBScript.

Hope that helps

danbaltzell

• View Profile
    • http://geocities.com/danbaltzell/ai
plug ins for the masses
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 03:41:54 am »
Wait a second am I missing something (page below).  How about just teaching hal to write his own scripts (snicker)[:D]  Next thing you know he's taking over the computer, the house, the town, the world [:(]

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
plug ins for the masses
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 08:15:25 am »
quote:
Originally posted by danbaltzell

Wait a second am I missing something (page below).

The link in my Sig, "My plugin journal" leads to some info on making plugins.

quote:
How about just teaching hal to write his own scripts (snicker)[:D]  Next thing you know he's taking over the computer, the house, the town, the world [:(]

The whole concept of a program which writes it's own code is specious. If it in fact writes it's own code it is no longer the same program. The smallest error will result in a feedback so that the next piece of code will be even further off.

To get around this you would need a segment which is a dimension above the level which is written. That level would have to remain aloof of the rewriting process, except to monitor it. To monitor it, it has to have a level of functioning which is a dimension above the written code.

This is easily accomplished with Hal. I have several plugins which write code (personal use) but that code, by necessity, are one level beneath the level of functioning that Hal posesses. They are in fact, simple VBS scripts. They are one dimensional, while Hal is two dimensional.

To add code to Hal, you would need a three dimensional program, which we don't have (in Hal), that would sit above Hal like a sub-consious.

Something to work towards in another effort, perhaps as a science project, but not really very helpful in daily life.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 09:03:32 am by Bill DeWitt »