dupa

Author Topic: What happened to haptek?????????  (Read 10089 times)

NIGE

• Bringing things to life
    • View Profile
What happened to haptek?????????
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 02:40:39 am »
Thanks Freddy for your honest reply.
I knew that you had access to the Haptek stuff because the fella at AiDealer contacted me last year to sign a contract with him for doing heads.
It was then that he told me that you guys were in with him also.
I declined on the fact that i would not be able to give my heads & stuff away freely for anyone as i do now, & also would his company keep going or just fade away like a lot of them.
Neil.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007, 08:45:21 am »
Thanks both...  If anything new happens I will let you know.  At the moment though things are still on 'pause'.

jackgephart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007, 05:10:27 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by freddy888

Thanks both...  If anything new happens I will let you know.  At the moment though things are still on 'pause'.

Freddy you asked about my services as well and I am just sitting here waiting for your reply. This has been some time ago. If I can manipulate the putty program like I do I know I could make some fullbody haptars for you. I am waiting my friend, I don't have any money to add to the investment but I do bring what I have with me.
Please don't let haptek die another death.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2007, 07:40:10 am »
Jack, I will definately email you when the possibility occurs or to let you know what is happening.  Like I said already though, a lot is on hold at the moment, partly due as well to my ill-health last year things are delayed (around 4 months later than I had planned).  If anything happens I will of course let you know.

Everyone...I don't really want to fill up Rob's forum with all of this, so please use my forum or email me if you have something you need to know.  Many thanks.

I do have one bit of good news I'd like to share with you though - after emailing Haptek I was told they are working on further development of the Haptek system and that the timing issue I had with the Haptek Player would be forwarded to the team.

As the old saying goes "These things take Time..."
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 08:07:14 am by freddy888 »

jackgephart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2007, 01:45:46 pm »
That's great Freddy and yes I will email you later. I will patiently wait on this good news and hope that you are serious. Thanks.
For further posts on this I will use your forum.[:D]

danbaltzell

• View Profile
    • http://geocities.com/danbaltzell/ai
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2007, 05:16:38 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by freddy888

Firstly I am unsure if I will be able to make this tool very useful because the main aim was to be able to animate things like character movements and make things like gestures.  As it is the Haptek player does not currently support a timed method to directly and individually move a character's limbs.  So you are correct that I can only trigger animations that are part of the model already.

I hope that Haptek will improve the player so that it can cope with timed use of the /SetReg command which allows you to move the limbs etc.  The problem is that although that command exists the player cannot currently do this as a timed event - that's something you need to do animation.  If this command was supported to do timed events then we could all be animating the characters freely.

Sooo, basically I am currently at a brick wall.

On those project files you mention - it may be worth asking Haptek for them but they may come as part of a commercial package.  They will probably be stock characters and animations, for which you will still need to purchase the appropriate software to modify.  And you would still need to buy some of the Haptek tools to complete a project.

To answer your question concerning figure maker, yes you need that to make new animations.  But as I talked about above there is also the /SetReg command, that alas, is not fully supported as I have found.

I am going to see if Haptek have any answers I think, because I would like to get this application finished if possible.

Freddy, is the /clock switch not able to support the timing for you?  I had used it to set parameters and then call an external hap which contained the individual movements using

clock [t=17] [load [file=walk.hap i0=1]

then I suppose you could continue in that series to load another timed hap with the setreg's etc. and continue ad infinitum...

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2007, 03:04:32 pm »
Well my problem was SetReg doesn't work as a timed event.  IE you can't do this kind of thing:

\clock [t=1] \SetReg [figure=fullbod name=somebodypart f0=0.555555]
\clock [t=2] \SetReg [figure=fullbod name=somebodypart f0=1.432322]
\clock [t=3] \SetReg [figure=fullbod name=somebodypart f0=0.234442]

All the player will do with something like that is run the first setting but ignore all subsequent changes.  Only the basic commands like \ translate, \ rotate and \load etc seem to work with the clock command.

But having said that your idea sounds like a good one - I will give it a go in a day or two.  The only drawback I see is there would have to be a hapfile for every single limb movement.  But whatever it's worth a try.  Good idea Dan :) thanks.

I must admit I am starting to get lured away by the Ogre engine though as it seems more flexible and probably just as capable as Haptek.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 03:05:29 pm by freddy888 »