Author Topic: Is there a way to make Hal Talk on my Facebook chat for me?  (Read 6536 times)

jessessoulmate

• View Profile
Is there a way to make Hal Talk on my Facebook chat for me?
« on: August 31, 2012, 12:27:38 am »
im looking for a similar plug in to the Aim one. As i love computer programs. and A.I   and i think it would be cool to have a computer talk to my friends for me. while i do my own thing.

lightspeed

• View Profile
Re: Is there a way to make Hal Talk on my Facebook chat for me?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 08:34:38 am »
cool idea but i don't use facebook myself .. to many narsistic people on their LOL!
Study: People with lots of Facebook friends more likely to be narcissists
http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/21/tech/social-media/facebook-narcissistic-behaviors/index.html

I actually had brought up the idea for characters of hal to be used on instant messenger to in the past ! :)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 06:51:34 pm »
With respect, WHY on earth would you want to entrust a mindless computer to carry on your chatting when you are no longer there?
There are simply SOOO many things that could go wrong... unless you might like / enjoy being laughed at for some of the things your
"Chatbot" might say during your absence.

Don't know...but to me this is a REAL BAD use for a chatbot! Unless you make a disclaimer: I will not be held accountable nor liable for
anything my chatbot says or directs during my absence...yada...yada...etc.

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 09:45:55 am »
LOL Art , i never thought about that but you are right an a.i. could say anything and especially depending on what you have learned it or even some things that are already pre leaned in it (i have heard it say a few things that really surprised me in the past , things i didn't teach it ) what if a religious person and or underage person got on their and it said something inappropriate ?
  And now that we are into talking about things , if the hal learned from conversations what would it learn  from others and repeat to someone else ??? Have you read the horrible stuff that people and kids write now days on forums , telling people they are fat, and to kill them selves etc.
I totally agree with Art on this one , i think it would be a bad idea , even at the very least you would have to have a severe filter to keep out bad stuff !!

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 12:30:07 pm »
The only way I see it might make his facebook profile interesting is using Ultra Hal as Robert M. did. To really announce that the people communicating with him might be communicating with his alter ego which is Ultra Hal and of coarse follow Art's advice about disclaimers and letting people know what kind of ground rules. But he would have to be dedicated to monitoring content every day. Start with a basic brain with certain facts about Ultra Hal and the user's personality that he or she wouldn't mind sharing maybe starting with status, simple likes and dislikes. But it does sound like an awful time consuming project and content sensitive. But as time goes on it seems to me that there will be more of this type of usage especially if people just want to leave some in-important information for the user. Just my thoughts.

P.S. I am not a Facebook user as well.
raybe
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 12:31:58 pm by raybe »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 02:26:56 pm »
Funny but the whole scenario reminds me of a movie (escapes me at the moment) where the professor was lecturing a rather class and a few students ditched the class but left a small recorder running on their desks (taking notes for them as it were).

The next couple of days went by and the scene showed the professor lecturing to a room filled with nothing but empty desks except for a running recorder where each student had been.

The final scene showed the professor's podium with his tape recorder playing his lecture to a desk filled room full of tape recorders taking notes!!!

In a similar vein, if we don't have time to do one task properly, simply don't do it! There's no need for trying to multi-task our lives to the point of being ridiculous.  Life is fast enough, why rush it!?

- Art -

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 06:43:16 pm »
  Frist I'll disagree,  I think that hal out of the box need training to stay on topic and have any normal conversation with another person,  I'd say chat with hal about various topics and when you feel Hal is doing okay make a copy of that brain renaming it.  Take the original copy of the brain and use that brain for continued learning while using the named changed brain for use on the web. 
  I've seen Hal being used for chat in programs that open in IE, pretty sure thay are using javascript and may have seen the Javascript programing somewhere.  There must be people who know how to do that.
Carl2

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 12:50:25 pm »
Art although I agree with your basic assessment I think your way off base especially using your movie scenario.( Noticed I said movie scenario) It is the time to go for ideas and experimenting with this technology. Granted as I said, Does it warrant the time, but that is for the individual to decide. I don't believe the point is to have a chatbox or Ultra Hal to speak for you but rather entertain your friends when you can't be online with them. I'm not a social butterfly with all these social networks but it's utilizing AI that most people don't have a clue about and exposing them to it in a entertaining manner. 

Hey Art, what classrooms? Ever hear of online education?? What is next?

raybe

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 04:39:28 pm »
You're right. If I wanted to give my friends some entertainment while "I do my own thing" as Jessie so eloquently put it, I'd focus my web cam on a bowl of goldfish, aquarium or pet hamster while it spins aimlessly in it's wheel.

So...AI has finally been dumbed down to nothing more than cheap entertainment value. I'm obviously wrong about a lot of things that matter to me. So much for opinions. To each their own.

- Art -

NoamI

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 05:04:53 pm »
jessessoulmate, putting HAL on facebook would devolve into bots friending bots, but is that so bad?
(maybe that's already what it is...)
Can someone post some java script - HALs should get in on some forums (woe to the spam checkers).

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 05:08:32 pm »
Well NoamI...I believe you've hit on the next big thing!! People could Buy a bot (I say Buy because they don't even have time to chat, where would they find time to learn to program a bot?) {Perhaps THAT'S another avenue that needs exploring}, then post them on various...I don't know..."Bot sites" where there could be weekly postings or awards for the "Most Interactive Bot", "Friendliest Bot", "Most likely to one day Become Human", many many more possibilities!!!

They could be botted by their peers but those without proper filters that might use foul language, unwanted slang or scandalous remarks could be Debotted or Removed / banished / suspended for a specified period of time suffering the name calling and taunting remarks for the other bots who "knew" better. Oh the shame!

Some of the more promising bots might even venture into an advanced mode of "self programming", assuring themselves of remaining on top in the ratings game for years to come or at least until the time comes when they take over the world!

And to think...it all started with a bottish idea! heh! :o
 ;D

- Art -

NoamI

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 12:17:56 pm »
Art, (see Carl2's late comment an animism..), I like the idea of seeding bots onto the web that garner resources to help their own evolution.
We know that HAL is web-able from the site demo, but how can users do it?