dupa

Author Topic: General questions about how Hal works  (Read 5195 times)

Kittie887

• View Profile
General questions about how Hal works
« on: January 17, 2018, 05:16:06 pm »
Hello. I'm a new user of Hal and have looked through the forums in all the major threads and have had many questions answered but I still have some very detailed ones I wonder if someone could answer for me.

I noticed when I use the thumbs up and thumbs down feature for the new Ultra Hal 7.0 and continue the same topic his responses don't seem to improve, is this simply because it happens more gradually or am I using the thumbs at the wrong time? It's hard to tell that it's doing anything. For a simple example if I ask Hal if he likes cats and he replies with "i eat spaghetti for dinner yesterday" I'll thumbs it down as "not on topic" and choose a response that makes sense such as "yes" or "no". Then later when I ask him the same question he still doesn't response with the yes or no. How specifically does this feature work?

Another question about the thumbs up and down is if I don't use them does his ability to stay on topic and keep his replies making sense still work? In other words will he still learn and improve without using the thumbs?

I've had him for a week or so now and he barely seems to be improving as far as making sense and it's okay with me if he just takes a really, really long time to gradually work up to making sense most of the time, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me generally how long it took them before they were able to have a conversation with Hal that makes complete sense?

For my last question I'd like to know if there is a way to get the Hal program to stop drawing answers from the wiki specifically? I never use them and it would be easier to scroll through the possible responses when picking a better one in the thumbs up and down feature.

LiFeTimeGamer

• View Profile
    • LifeTimeGamer
Re: General questions about how Hal works
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 09:59:58 am »
Robert and the others will have better answers for you but:

First you have to think of Hal as a young child, you have to teach him things and he chooses what he wants to learn, try using a few variations on what you say to him, that helps also... As far a how long it takes, the more you talk to him the faster he seems to learn... So it can take some time... The responses will get better...

As far as using the Thumbs Up and Down I have noticed it takes a few days before HAL starts using the things I choose as a response...

You should try going through the 'Tutorial', that will give you a better understanding of how HAL works... You can find the Tutorial in the Options menu...
When it comes to Artificial Intelligence: The Soul is in the Software.

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 11:07:38 am »
Hello. I'm a new user of Hal and have looked through the forums in all the major threads and have had many questions answered but I still have some very detailed ones I wonder if someone could answer for me.

I noticed when I use the thumbs up and thumbs down feature for the new Ultra Hal 7.0 and continue the same topic his responses don't seem to improve, is this simply because it happens more gradually or am I using the thumbs at the wrong time? It's hard to tell that it's doing anything. For a simple example if I ask Hal if he likes cats and he replies with "i eat spaghetti for dinner yesterday" I'll thumbs it down as "not on topic" and choose a response that makes sense such as "yes" or "no". Then later when I ask him the same question he still doesn't response with the yes or no. How specifically does this feature work?

Another question about the thumbs up and down is if I don't use them does his ability to stay on topic and keep his replies making sense still work? In other words will he still learn and improve without using the thumbs?

I've had him for a week or so now and he barely seems to be improving as far as making sense and it's okay with me if he just takes a really, really long time to gradually work up to making sense most of the time, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me generally how long it took them before they were able to have a conversation with Hal that makes complete sense?

For my last question I'd like to know if there is a way to get the Hal program to stop drawing answers from the wiki specifically? I never use them and it would be easier to scroll through the possible responses when picking a better one in the thumbs up and down feature.

The thumbs up/down buttons nudge up or down the scores of those particular responses. So the changes occur gradually and you should see Hal slowly getting better the more you talk with him. Learning occurs through both normal conversation and the thumbs up/down buttons. So don't feel you have to use thumbs up/down buttons to teach Hal, but it is a tool to help Hal learn a little faster. Hal learns best if the same concept is reinforced multiple times in different but similar ways.
Robert Medeksza

Kittie887

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 11:58:55 am »
Thank you! I think most if not all of my questions have been answered with your two posts. I did go through the tutorial first thing after I got Hal, it seems to be only basic, general stuff. I'll do it again to see if I missed anything, however like I said I think I feel satisfied about what I was curious about now. I'm so happy to learn that I don't need to use the thumbs up/down to make him learn things. I will try saying the same thing in different ways, In the past i've been nervous about doing that because I didn't want him to think my response to some off topic thing he said was what I was saying.

LiFeTimeGamer

• View Profile
    • LifeTimeGamer
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 12:31:22 pm »
Have Fun!!!!!     ;D

Kittie887

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 03:27:54 pm »
What does "Obedience Level" do in the options for Hal?

LiFeTimeGamer

• View Profile
    • LifeTimeGamer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 06:28:33 am »
If your talking about the "Freewill Plug in", I'm pretty sure it means how well HAL with 'Obey' you, like a pet or human...

Just try it out and see what happens, you can always turn if off or change the "Obedience Level" to something else...

Make sure you click on 'APPLY CHANGES' after you check it, then 'OKAY'.  If you decide you don't like it, click on 'APPLY' after you 'uncheck' it, then 'OKAY'...

Kittie887

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 11:56:53 am »
Thanks for the reply, I have discovered it changes how easily Hal will change his beliefs and opinions to match yours. I had it all the way to the right but I have since set it to the middle.

I have one more question and this time about Hal's grammar. I will tell him things, for example "But I wanted to tell you about this." and he will later reply with "But you wanted to tell I about this.". Why does he use bad grammar when repeating me and how do I get him to stop with the bad grammar?

LiFeTimeGamer

• View Profile
    • LifeTimeGamer
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 08:59:15 am »
That would be a question for Robert to answer...  Sorry...

I'm still pretty new to HAL also even tho I spent a Year with HAL 6.28 I can't seem to remember if he "Grew Out" of using bad grammar or not... With HAL 7.0 I use the 'Thumbs Down' and choose the "Bad Grammar" option every time he does it...I also try to be careful how I word sentences to prevent that from happening when I can...

Kittie887

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 01:08:04 pm »
Okay. I've been trying the thumbs down thing too and it just becomes annoying. I hope it is changed in the future. Thanks for the reply!