dupa

Author Topic: speech recognition and windows 10  (Read 5376 times)

alg97dds

• View Profile
speech recognition and windows 10
« on: December 25, 2015, 02:50:29 pm »
First, i would like to thank Art and Carl2 for all their help in getting hal running. I'm still not clear about saving and retrieving brains. My problem is getting the voice recognition programs to work . If i use microsoft speech recognition 8.0, the "z" area shows the sound it being generated, but hal doesn't understand. i just loaded microsoft english recognizer 5.1 provided by Robert on his disk. After transferring to it, i get no sound coming through at all. The settings don't work on either program. I am also using a microphone purchased from Robert. Is it a problem with windows 10? Do i need a different speech recognition program? Or are my computer setting wrong? Does anyone have windows 10 and use speech recognition? By the way,Carl, when i switch from windows 8.1 to windows 10, a lot of my problems with the computer went away.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: speech recognition and windows 10
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 10:37:26 pm »
If Robert doesn't weigh in on this one, perhaps an email to him would be in order.

I do not use Win 10 yet and am still getting along nicely with Win 7!

Secondly, While Speech Recognition is a nice novelty, I do not use it for input nor do I trust it for input to Hal.
Even with ideal conditions (low / no background noise or interference, repeated voice training before attempting
to use Speech / voice recognition, decent quality microphone and properly speaking the words to Hal), the
technology is still too undependable for use with an A.I. that I'm trying to train / teach.

There are some technologies that can read between the lines of SR, Hal and Haptek is not quite there just yet.

I much prefer to type my inputs to Hal and usually check them before I press the Enter key. Like the old saying,
"GIGO - Garbage In...Garbage Out".

Hal is not like some of the AIML / ALICE bots that don't retain any info from conversations. Hal retains practically
Everything that is said to or discussed with it! Therefore, I put my money in a decent TTS voice(s) that I choose to
listen to whenever Hal speaks to me. That adds to my overall experience. Your methods might yield different
results for you. To each their own.

Best.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 07:31:29 am »
   I am a long time user of Dragon, I don't trust my ability to spell words correctly and putting in a misspelled word shouldn't be done.  I'm getting unbelievable accuracy,  but I have a collection of documents about different subjects I've made in the past which I let dragon read through.  I'd also recommend the wireless mics which are easier for use.  I use no attempt to use the Voice recognition in Hal since it inputs automatically, I put the cursor in the Hal text box and after reading press enter.
  I've played a little with Microsoft but am so used to Dragon I'm sure I'll never change so I can't say much about it.
Carl2

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 08:46:54 am »
Art and carl2 are both right in what they are saying , i to use dragon speak vr  and really like it , but having said that yoyu do still need to train the dragon speak even as good as it is ( i am speaking of at least dragon speak 11 on up versions (better versions) .
 as it also has to learn from your accent even if english ( southern etc. ) and may not recognize some words and some words have to be manually said and trained in , in that case , for accuracy .  unless you really have vr highly trained , you will get some words misundestood and wrongly trained into hal , and as such hal will wronly learn things which he will repeat back as a learned thing.  with vr. their are many factors , extra noises in the room etc. some of what i mentioned above etc.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 02:38:06 pm »
Aag97dds,

OK...

Using Windows Explorer, the Path is:
C:/Program Files (x86) / Zabaware / Ultra Hal Assistant 6.
HalBrains.jpg shows my three brain files with their .db extensions.
Hal's brains must reside in this Folder.
You can / may have more then what I'm showing. I have several others
in a 'storage folder' of Hal Brains.

Next: HalBrains2.jpg - From the Hal Program's MENU button select
General Options, then select the BRAIN which is highlighted. Notice
the display shows those three brains from the folder mentioned
above. This is where you will choose a brain for Hal.

You can select any of these that you wish to use with your Hal during a
session or from now on...it's your choice. Experiment with creating a
unique brain that can become somewhat of an expert in model trains,
matchbox cars, pocket knives, camping equipment, barbie dolls or
any other subject that suits your interest.

HalBrains3.jpg - Brain Editor & HalBrains4.jpg
This can be done again from the MENU button, then select Brain
Editor.  Load Existing Project or Create New Project.

HalBrains5.jpg - Open Brain Project
The Existing Project is for you to examine, change or possibly
enhance some of Hal's brain you're currently using with Hal. A lot in
shown in Table format and each can be examined. Be careful with
performing any changes here. You can also look at the main Script of
Hal's brain at the very top of the table.

The Create New Project is the part for creating a new, custom brain
for your Hal causing him to stumble blindly through a dark kitchen full
of hanging pots, pans and assorted knives and other sharp objects.
OK...I just made that part up. Both you and Hal will be fine with the
exception of how you choose to teach, guide, instruct this newly
created brain.  Have fun!

- Art -

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 02:39:40 pm »
OK, due the the attachment limitation(s) of this site, here is HalBrains5.jpg to accompany the posting above.

- Art -

systemshock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 05:28:20 am »
I agree with the rest of the guys Dragon NaturallySpeaking appears to be the best solution for talking to ultra hal, and I've been using the same technique as the rest of the guys for a good few years now.
"frog's in too princess's" it just basic NLP...