dupa

Author Topic: HAL Text to Speech Reader won't start at all.  (Read 5376 times)

adstore

• View Profile
HAL Text to Speech Reader won't start at all.
« on: December 14, 2006, 03:58:55 am »
I purchased the NeoSpeech module version of the HAL TTS on CD, and installed it without incident, but it won't run, period.  Windows XP declares "there was a problem" and it's goodbye.  Lots of disk space, memory, and a fast processor, recent full virus and spyware scans, etc., so it's not the basic platform.

Are there some programs though that might fatally block or conflict with HAL? Any key factors to check?

Thanks.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 08:46:52 am »
You might check your firewall settings and temporarily turn off any anti-virus programs first.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 12:36:50 am »
Hello 'adstore',
I have the same problem except Hal tts will not open only on one of my startup login's. I have my computer setup with one login for work apps. and another login for home apps. The login section where HAl is not used the Hal tts opens on startup but I get the same message and it shuts right down. If you do get any info I would appreciate it. Art, if you read this I would also appreciate any help.
Thanks again,
raybe

adstore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 07:46:44 pm »
Thanks, I'll look into that.  Incidentally, I think I know what caused the problem in my case...I installed Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 Standard(from Nuance) the day before I noticed the Hal startup problem.  The reason this occurred to me is that I had Hal TTS on my laptop as well, and when I installed Dragon on that a week later, the same effect on Hal occurred...I'm not willing to part with Dragon, so my investment in Hal seems kind of wasted.

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 08:46:22 pm »
adstore
Don't give up the ship. There are several people here that use Dragon Naturally Speaking with Hal and we have no problems. The set up has caused some people a few minor headaches but Dragon and Hal work just fine together. I even use BlueTooth with mine and have no problems. Sometimes it is something else completely that is causing the problems. Just take your time and I am sure that you will find the cause.
Bill819

mp0510

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 02:03:47 am »
Try installing both TTS 4a and TTS 5 from microsoft.  I uninstaled TTS 4.0a, since the voice I use is a 5.0 one, and Hal stopped working. When I re-installed 4.0a, Hal works again.

The file I installed was:
spchapi.exe

do a search for "microsoft TTS 4.0a runtime" and you'll find it.

Mike

Johnny Disco

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 05:03:55 am »
quote:
Originally posted by adstore

I purchased the NeoSpeech module version of the HAL TTS on CD, and installed it without incident, but it won't run, period.  Windows XP declares "there was a problem" and it's goodbye.  Lots of disk space, memory, and a fast processor, recent full virus and spyware scans, etc., so it's not the basic platform.

Are there some programs though that might fatally block or conflict with HAL? Any key factors to check?

Thanks.