dupa

Author Topic: Can Not Install Desktopmates  (Read 8313 times)

dfh534

• View Profile
    • http://rr.com/
Can Not Install Desktopmates
« on: July 21, 2008, 05:50:39 am »
First I lost my connection before the downloads were complete and got the message that there wasn't enough space available in disk "C". ~~~ I had a new hard drive installed last year and I checked the amount of space available and it says: Volume "I"; File System: NTFS; Capacity: 149GB: Free Space: 129GB. Note: It says the memory is in Volume "I" and not "C". ~~~ I did the Disk
Defragmenter and first downloaded to drive "I",  then downloaded to the
Desktop and it got downloaded into my CyberBuddy but not into my Ultra Hal
version 6 which is where I would prefer it to be.   I tried in several ways
to download Mandie into my  Ultra Hal version 6 to no avail.   The message I get is  [  !  "C:Program FilesabawareUltra Hal Assistant 5" folder is not accessible.  ]   How can I get
Mandie installed into my  Ultra Hal version 6?   I do appreciate your
assistance.   Sincerely,   Dan.

dfh534

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 05:59:48 am »
Correction:  The message I am getting is [ ! "C:Program FilesabawareUltra Hal Assistant 5" folder is not accessible. ]   Thank you in advance for your help.

dfh534

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 06:10:12 am »
I'm trying to correct the message but I think the back slashes aren't coming through.  Correction: The message I am getting is [ ! "C:(back slash)Program Files(back slash)Zabaware(back slash)Ultra Hal Assistant 5" folder is not accessible. ] Thank you in advance for your help.  Thanks again.

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 07:57:34 am »

I'm no expert but notice you say you want to put it in Hal 6.
It tells you Hal 5 is not available.
Is one of these a typing mistake ???

By the way, when typing slashes \ type two of them, and one will show up in final post.  
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 08:00:47 am by Duskrider »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 08:55:37 pm »
Taken from the page at DesktopMates:

CHARACTER PLUGIN REQUIREMENTS:

1. You must already have the Ultra Hal program installed on your system.

2. You must already own the DesktopMates character for the plugin you want.
CLICK HERE to visit the DesktopMates character galleries

NOTE: The Character Plugins on this page ARE NOT character programs, they are plugins that patch your Existing DesktopMates Character into the Ultra Hal program and you must already have the full version of the DesktopMates character installed on your system for the plugin to work. If you DO NOT already own the character you will be wasting your time by downloading the plugins for the character.

To download a character plugin, just select the DesktopMates character that you already own and want to use with the Ultra Hal program. Once the download is complete locate and run the plugin setup and it will auto install itself into the Ultra Hal program then when you launch Ultra Hal it will be patched in and show up in Ultra Hal's character selection under the General Options.

THE FOLLOWING PLUGINS ARE NOT CHARACTER PROGRAMS.
You must already own the actual DesktopMates character in order for the plugin to work.

Plugin downloads are between 60kb and 100kb each.
NOTE : The default install path for character plugins are for Ultra Hal version 6. If you are still using Hal version 5 simply change the 6 to a 5 in the install path field during the install process.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

dfh534

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 03:49:16 am »
Thank you so much for your advice.  I have the full ultra Hal 6 program installed as well as the DesktopMate Mandie and I have paid full retail for them. With some difficulty and work she installed into my CyberBuddy program.  What I think the problem might be is that my computer's main operating system is on drive "I" and the DesktopMates are designed to work through drive"C".  There must be a way to configure something to get this program to be able to be downloaded to my Ultra Hal 6 but I have no idea how to do it.  I received the following information below from DesktopMates.com
support400@desktopmates.com ~

Hi Dan;

It's hard to say what your problem is as we don't know how your
system and hard drive is setup and configured.

Is the drive where your operating system is installed on drive "I" or
"C"? if "I" is the drive where your system is installed then you need
to make sure you download programs to drive "I", and when you install
software you have to change the setup's default location to "I"
instead of "C".

You don't install characters into Hal separately, Ultra reads and loads characters from the same default location as CyberBuddy, which is typically C:WindowsMsagentchars

All MS Agent Characters must be installed to this location to function properly.

If Hal isn't able to locate characters from this location then you most likely don't have Hal properly installed. When you installed Hal you must make sure it's installed on the same drive as your main O/S system and it also needs to be installed on an account that has admin privileges. If you never installed Hal on an account with admin privileges it's unlikely going to have access to system folder where the characters are located.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 10:32:56 am »
You said that you had a new drive installed. I think the drive was added in addition to your existing drive instead of replacing that drive.

My question is why is it Drive I:?

Usually every Physical drive when added to a system takes on the next logical Drive letter. C,D,E....

What happened to your old Drive C:? and is your OS on I or C?

Most programs will use the default conventions when installing like
C:\Program Files\Zabaware\UltraHal...and so on.

If you choose to Browse and assign a new or different location, you can expect to have problems especially if the program expects to see or use the default location.

Personally, I'd use my largest Drive as C: containing the OS and programs, Drive D: would be another drive for data files, text, docs, images, and backups of important stuff.

Drive I?  I have to wonder what you have between C and I (other than perhaps a CD or DVD drive as drive D:.

I really think the problem is NOT with the programs but rather with how you have your system setup.

Keep us posted on progress.

- Art -

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 06:39:41 pm »
All,
  Volume in this case probably refers to a Raid configuration.
Carl2

dfh534

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 08:38:04 pm »
I more than appreciate everyone's help.   It sounds like were getting somewhere now that the Raid configuration has been mentioned.   Around March of 2007 I brought my computer into Best Buy for repair.   The Geek Squad worked on it and told me that my hard drive would need to be replaced because it was corrupted beyond repair.   When I got it back, they gave me the old hard drive to destroy and get rid of.   I noticed that my computer then had a Weather.com type program on it that interfered with some things that I could not remove.   I took the computer back to have the Weather program removed.   When I got my computer back again,  I noticed that it said "Via Raid Tool on the screen for a moment during start up and that its icon remained on the bottom right of the screen.   I called the Geek Squad back and inquired about the Raid Tool and was told that everything was fine and to just ignore it.   ~~~   After receiving your message,  today I clicked onto the Raid Tool for the first time to see what was there and got the message:  "No stand alone disk and No usable disk array attached,  please check if any disk array is broken."   I don't have any idea what this all means but I hope there is a way to reset everything to function on the Drive C:,  so I can be able to download Mandie into my Ultra Hal version 6.   What do I need to do to alleviate this affliction?  

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 11:52:04 pm »
Hi dfh534.

I am sure that the minor problem that was over looked will be resolved about installing to a custom master drive, it does get very difficult when people use multiple drives compared to just a few because Ultra HAL assistance would prefere to install to C:\ drive which most systems use by default.

I think a smart setup installation program is needed here.

the installation program is actually a different program used to install a progam. this said, it's about working any minor flaws out during that process.

the world isn't perfect yet and may very well never be upon demand.

by the way, if you want slashes to appear in your post use double slashes, if you need 1 slash in your post then use 2 otherwise it wont show.

when I posted C:\ I used 2 slashes instead of 1.
Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 11:56:54 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

dfh534

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 02:16:38 am »
Thanks again for the help.   Can anyone tell me how and where I can obtain a compatible smart setup installation program that will be able to download the DesktopMates character Mandie into my Ultra Hal version 6?[?]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 09:09:02 am »
dfh534,

You need to check if it is indeed a raid drive system.
Basically a raid system contains 2 hard drives. Whatever one does on the primary drive gets copied to the raid drive (in most cases). It serves as an ongoing backup device. Keep in mind that mistakes made on drive 1 can and will be copied to drive 2.

That said, you should install Hal, DesktopMates, whatever else on your primary drive (C:) and let the programs use their own default paths (usually C:\Program Files\SomeProgramName...)

IF you have a raid setup there is no need to, and you shouldn't have to access drive 2. This is IF drive 1 is C: and drive 2 is I: which still bothers me to some degree.

You can check with My Computer and see the various drives in your system. Check to see if it says Hard Disk Drives or Drives with Removable Storage.

If you still have questions, you might contact the Geek guys where you had service performed on your computer.

- Art -

dfh534

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 02:22:40 pm »
I checked in My Computer and looked at the different drives in my system and it says: Hard Disk Drives ~ Local Disk (I): Then it says: Devices with Removable Storage ~ 3&1//2 Floppy (A):; Removable Disk (C):; Removable Disk (D): Removable Disk (E):; Removable Disk (F): DVD-RW Drive (G):; CD Drive (H):   Would you recommend a compatible smart setup installation program that will be able to download the DesktopMates character Mandie into my Ultra Hal version 6 or just to contact the Geek Squad Guys?

dfh534

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 02:30:15 pm »
Correction: (I see that with the forward slash I don't need to use 2 slashes instead of 1) ~ [ Devices with Removable Storage ~ 3&1/2 Floppy (A):; ]...

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 03:37:49 pm »
OK...
You DO NOT install DesktopMates into Hal...

You install DesktopMates wherever their default program wants to go.

Any characters that it may have should be shown in Hal's Character displays.

Hal will be able to display any character that is installed as an MS Agent character. As mentioned, they usually go in C:\Windows\MSAgents\Chars

- Art -