Author Topic: GPU SQL Queries  (Read 2502 times)

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
GPU SQL Queries
« on: December 16, 2015, 06:00:47 pm »
I found an interesting topic covering something I have been wondering for a while. We all know the CPU is what SQL and Hal uses to store and choose responses.. Which can be notoriously time consuming if your database is massive. I have long wondered why the GPU couldn't be tasked with this operation, saving the CPU for Hal to do some extra "thinking" such as plug ins, etc.

Well, apparently I haven't been alone in my thinking. My theory is that if Hal had the ability to toss queries to the GPU, he would become more efficient.. This is of course assuming you're using a decent SSD drive.

Interesting read anyway.

http://www.nextplatform.com/2015/06/26/gpu-accelerators-radically-boost-sql-queries/

Carl2

• View Profile
Re: GPU SQL Queries
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 08:20:30 am »
  Very interesting find, It's always nice to see there are people with enough knowledge to speed up a process if it is necessary.  Newer computers are now using M.2 and PCI express SSD's to get the info to the processor quicker.  I'm not sure how a mainstream computer with the graphics built into the cpu would do with this new arrangement. 
Carl2