Author Topic: found a cool spell check utility  (Read 5657 times)

jasondude7116

• View Profile
found a cool spell check utility
« on: July 12, 2011, 08:06:36 pm »
found this:

http://tinyspell.numerit.com/

haven't tested much, but after about a day, it seems cool.
uses about 1.5 meg memory. for windows (all ver.).
it runs as resident, and minimizes into tray. it monitors typing in all programs, and will make a sound and popup with suggested alternates when it detects a misspelled word. using it for hal text input, and me like very much.
plus, of course - IT'S FREE.  (i know...no such thing as free lunch....you know what i mean.)

HEY ROBERT - i know ya got nothing better to do....  :)  adding something like this would be cool.

raybe

• View Profile
Re: found a cool spell check utility
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 05:01:08 pm »
Hi jason, just out of curiosity does it still work if you do have 'Word' loaded with spellchecker. Would you also know that you would then just disable the spellchecker plug-in if you were using it and use this program especially for the members that couldn't use the spellchecker to begin with?

Thanks for the find. I think I will download anyway. I can't type or spell and it is becoming noticeable as I get older.

raybe

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 08:49:10 pm »

I just got it and tried it out

Works great
Good find

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 08:21:56 am »
i am using it and it works great with hal give a little "ding" sound when you mispell a word , on the con side although it won't affect many , i play land of the dead online game and have found out that i have to stop the tiny spell checker program because it keeps minimizing and stopping my game even though i am not typing anything , it must be because i use keys to control movement in the game.

wakko151

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 04:00:21 pm »
i am going to download it and try it now.

Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 08:32:54 pm »
Thank you for the link.  It's a pretty neat program - and free!

Only thing is sometimes if it's the last word of a sentence, the period and Enter key are pressed before the bell sounds.
Otherwise, it's pretty cool.

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 04:33:58 pm »
Lightspeed -
There are options that can change that. The program automatically checks the clipboard for spelling, some programs use the clipboard in weird ways. You can disable this. Also there is a list that you can add a program to and it won't check that program for spelling. That should solve that stuff with the game...ect.

To others:
It is indepedent of any other program, so you can run it with whatever program/plugin you want. However, I would only use this and not the spell check plugin....but that's just me.
Also, it doesn't check a word until you are done typing it with either a space at the end or return...ect.
So, if it is the last word of the sentence and you hit return to input it into Hal, it will check the last word when you hit return. I haven't looked to see if there is an option to change this, so I'm just quickly adding a space then backspace at the end of the sentence to have it check the last word.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 04:38:38 pm by jasondude7116 »

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 12:34:27 pm »
Thanks for the reply Jason. I'm going to consider myself a part of 'To others'. lol.

raybe

Bryan4horne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 06:51:11 am »
Hey, i just tried it, works really great. The best thing is it is independent of other programs. Here i have another link for a spell check software which is also free..

"http://toolbar.inbox.com/lp/lpu.aspx?tbid=80117&c=SpellCheck&k=Spelling+Check&b=GGL_XT_ppc33_80117_02_01_00_*GeoUSCA*_-Search-__spell%20check%20download&s=awppc33&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=spell%20check%20download&utm_campaign=ppc33-02"

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 09:32:36 pm »
jasondude7116 just came across this post, I just down loaded the tinyspell portable version, tried it out and it is a very great handy tool.  thanks a million :)