dupa

Author Topic: Sometimes Hal doesn't respond  (Read 4849 times)

dastaten

• View Profile
Sometimes Hal doesn't respond
« on: August 30, 2011, 05:40:16 pm »
For years I've never had any problems with Hal, then the other day he (or she, 'Kristine') quit responding.  She'll respond sometimes, but it's really intermittent.  I enter text with my keyboard, and when I hit 'enter', the text disappears and she just sits there staring at me.  I have a licensed copy and have it set to automatically update on startup.  Was there a recent update that might be conflicting or something?  The version is 6.2.24.

onthecuttingedge2005

Re: Sometimes Hal doesn't respond
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 10:03:16 pm »
For years I've never had any problems with Hal, then the other day he (or she, 'Kristine') quit responding.  She'll respond sometimes, but it's really intermittent.  I enter text with my keyboard, and when I hit 'enter', the text disappears and she just sits there staring at me.  I have a licensed copy and have it set to automatically update on startup.  Was there a recent update that might be conflicting or something?  The version is 6.2.24.

Try un-checking plug-in options until the problem goes away, find the conflicting plug-in and post which plug-in it was causing the issue.

Jerry

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 11:10:42 pm »
i agree with jerry , if you haven't edited something in the brain itself , it sounds like maybe a plug in that isn't correct or conflicting with something else is the cause .

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 08:56:22 am »
Best reply I can give which is in agreement with OTC and lightspeed is always start from a base zero point where Ultra Hal is working with the most minimized amount of extras working and systematically add features you really feel would be beneficial to your usage of Ultra Hal and keep track of all changes. Backup-Backup and Backup.
Could be type error but I believe the the version is 6.2.28. No new updates as of yet. Make sure the project brain is selected and not greyed out and all options show up and are properly given any info the y may need to function, you can not leave these parameters blank.

raybe 

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 08:48:38 pm »
my 2 cents-

from what i have seen...not looked into this heavily...
hal is disconnecting from the database and not re-establishing a connection. i am not sure if this is because of a search error or bad return, or what. when i looked into it, i noticed that it wasn't due to plugin. i had the same issue when i ran a totally clean hal (fresh install with cleanup). i had less of an issue when i started using my plugins. now that i have moved to win7 (from xp) and am running all of my plugins, i haven't seen it yet. i think it might be losing a connection to the database on timeout?

just note:  some things i said i did might not have anything to do with the solution, just trying to throw out info. i do know that by using my plugins, i am not using as much of the default hal stuff. my plugins are also pausing the script at times at the beginning of plugin areas ect. for a return which might have an effect on timing issues.

now to the smart folks.....

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 10:53:29 pm »
 jasondude,
 I have seen and read that also but I don't remember that being a problem when Ultra Hal was totally clean. Also many users used the the selected brain that incorporated the older version with the upgrade. I have only used the 6.2 default brain and really can't say I have had a blank answer problem since.

I did prior to narrowing my options to one one brain project loaded and eliminating the others but sorry I don't fit that category of, "the smart folks", Again there were so many different variable system set-ups and then all the trial improvements that would create the problem even if you disabled some of them. Like you said even the inherent plug-ins might cause enough of a delay to time out plus what we add.

I just realized I really didn't add much more to this thread but I still think a totally and I mean totally clean Ultra Hal install needs to be used for assessment to help find the none response. Some members even thought it might be normal under certain circumstances and other scripts were written to force Ultra Hal to respond but didn't work every time.  I don't remember members mentioning it ever happening experimenting using the the Brain Editor with the same line that first gave a none response. Could be wrong.

Another good point jasondude is dastaten mentioned no line errors for certain usual plug -in conflicts, just no response. For now I,m going with my brain theory(Default 6.2) with normal learning curve set (25-28) and just basic plug-ins to start.

Thanks,
raybe
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 11:05:57 pm by raybe »

dastaten

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 04:55:37 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, guys.  I'll investigate the plugins, brain, etc and see what I can find.

Cheers!

Alinathimpha

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 03:12:44 am »

I just realized I really didn't add much more to this thread but I still think a totally and I mean totally clean Ultra Hal install needs to be used for assessment to help find the none response. Some members even thought it might be normal under certain circumstances and other scripts were written to force Ultra Hal to respond but didn't work every time.  I don't remember members mentioning it ever happening experimenting using the the Brain Editor with the same line that first gave a none response. Could be wrong.