Author Topic: Where can I download XTF Brain v1.2 ?  (Read 5459 times)

dihelson

• View Profile
Where can I download XTF Brain v1.2 ?
« on: November 02, 2004, 09:19:56 pm »
Hello, Fellows.

I noticed that on Zabaware site, there's only version 1.0 version on the downloads section.

I'm using this version 1.0, but began noticing strange things. For example, when using this XTF brain, ALL original brain Topics like Weather, Politics, Music aren't accessed anymore.

I made a test with the sentence:
IMPROVISATIONAL JAZZ VERY CREATIVE ART FORM

which would led to:
Improvisational jazz is a very creative art form.

from the topic MUSIC, which indeed I intended to make it bigger by adding some questions and answers.

But, as I said, When using version 1.0 HAL doesn't access these topics anymore.
Perhaps on version 1.2 these problems have been solved.

So, Where can I download this 1.2 version ?

If someone could send it to me, attached on a message, please, send it to dihelson@yahoo.com

I greatly appreciate and thanks.

Dihelson Mendonça

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 11:22:22 pm »
You can download the XTF v1.2 patch here http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1218. Please also see this post http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1237 about some modifications you need to make so it works just exactly right.

dihelson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 12:31:20 am »
quote:
Originally posted by KnyteTrypper

You can download the XTF v1.2 patch here [url]

Thank you very much, KnyteTrypper.

Unfortunatelly the problem (If this is a problem) persists!
HAL can't access the FOCUS contents. That tab which contains weather, Politics, Music...

using original brain it works ok, we can ask some questions about music and HAL can access some information from there, but it doesn't "concentrate" only there.

Indeed, I think that HAL's knowledge should first be classified in topics, and when talking, it shouldn't make any questions OUTSIDE these topics, LIKE HUMANS DO.

When we talk about Playing a Guitar, we don't come out with questions and statements about ASTRONOMY. That's the biggest flaw on the HAL's brain.

HAL should identify the topic and remains on it until user change the topic, giving some signal, like "...By the way, speaking about astronomy, etc etc etc..." That's how it should work!
And if we have information enough on a database, we could talk for hours about the same matter without having to skipping to other matters. The problem is with KEYWORDS...

[]'s
Dihelson

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 03:35:05 am »

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 01:35:31 pm »
Thanks KnyteTrypper for stepping in and sharing the info on the XTF Brain.

dihelson,
If you read the postings linked by KnyteTrypper you'll see that the XTF Brain v1.0 needs to be patched. Just to let you know, the XTF Brain doesn't use the old (original) brain files. The XTF brain uses a more selective process for storing Hal's knowledge. This brain also has a much more sophisticated 'topic focus' method. That's why it is called XTF (eXtended Topic Focus). As the postings will show you need to install the XTF Brain v1.2 patch over the v1.0 installation. The postings will also show that a file name needs to be manually changed too. You can use the forum's 'search' function to find previous posting about the XTF Brain. The v1.0 download also includes a User Manual. I encourage you to read through it.

If you learn about Hal file formats you can cut-and-paste knowledge from previous Hal brain files into the XTF files. You must have a very clear understanding of file formats before doing this. The best way for Hal to learn is still by conversation.

Time permitting I need to release a updated v1.3 brain to make the installation easier. My regular job is killing me right now (probably not in the literal sense though). [xx(]

=vonsmith=
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 01:41:03 pm by vonsmith »

dihelson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 03:41:21 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by vonsmith

dihelson,
If you read the postings linked by KnyteTrypper you'll see that the XTF Brain v1.0 needs to be patched. Just to let you know, the XTF Brain doesn't use the old (original) brain files. The XTF brain uses a more selective process for storing Hal's knowledge. This brain
=vonsmith=

Hello, my dear Vonsmith.
Thank you very much for explaining me all these thing I really didn't know. As you see from my postings, now I am very enthusiastic with ULTRA HAL. I'm trying to understand how does it work in order to suit it to my taste. XTF is really fine!
I am happy that you are preparing your next release. I was just seeing on another message that I needed to rename that file.

Since you are preparing a new release, I have one suggestion:
Could you make use of that FOCUS tool ?  Or develop something like that? I mean for Subjects.
It would be interesting if we could have a place like a Table with all topics and we could click on the topic and see all questions and answers to that specific topic. We could feed HAL with hundreds, thousands of topics, each one with thousands of questions and answers.
The advantage of this method is that the knowledge would be Organized in topics, and you could develop means that HAL would deviate from the questions and answers from that topic unless qhen TRIGGERED by some THINGS. We could have a generic basic Q & A with emotions, but the main part should be divided unto Topics.
This kind of organization certainly would avoid the problem I always say:

For example:
User: Is the sun a star ?
Hal: Fish smell more on aluminium cans.
[V]

Thanks for your dedication. A.I is certainly beginning and those who develop good programs today certainly will be remembered a thousand years from now!

regards,
Dihelson

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 06:46:47 pm »
dihelson,
The "Ultra Hal 5 XTF Brain Instructions (v1.0) (02-16-04).doc" Word file that is included with the XTF Brain v1.0 download explains a little about the file structure of the XTF Brain. Hal's "knowledge" is stored by topic in individual files in the "Ultra Hal Assistant 5  DefBrain" directory. Hal XTF "learns" new topics from your discussions.

An example:
Let's say you open a file named, "XTF_MOTORCYCLE(your username).brn" in the DefBrain directory. This file only exists if you have discussed motorcycles.

You may find entries like this:
@MOTORCYCLES ARE FUN TO RIDE
 MOTORCYCLES FUN RIDE
@OUR MOTORCYCLE IS SO FAST IT SCARES ME
 MOTORCYCLE FAST SCARES ME
@OUR MOTORCYCLE IS A NORTON COMMANDO
 MOTORCYCLE NORTON COMMANDO
@OUR MOTORCYCLE WAS BUILT IN ENGLAND
 MOTORCYCLE BUILT ENGLAND

When you input something like, "Are motorcycles fun to ride?"
Hal may match to the second line, "MOTORCYCLES FUN RIDE" in the file and return the matching answer on the @ line:
"MOTORCYCLES ARE FUN TO RIDE"

Hal's so-called Q&A files have this standard format:
@ HAL'S RESPONSE
 STRING TO TRY TO MATCH TO USER'S INPUT

For more info about XTF files and such read this:
http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1187

I encourage you to learn from past postings on the forum that talk about Hal's file formats. Many ideas for new Hal methods and proposed improvements have been discussed. The better you understand Hal's brain scripts the better you can customize Hal's knowledge files.

Enjoy,

=vonsmith=

dihelson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 04:25:25 am »
quote:

An example:
Let's say you open a file named, "XTF_MOTORCYCLE(your username).brn" in the DefBrain directory. This file only exists if you have discussed motorcycles.

You may find entries like this:
@MOTORCYCLES ARE FUN TO RIDE
 MOTORCYCLES FUN RIDE
@OUR MOTORCYCLE IS SO FAST IT SCARES ME
 MOTORCYCLE FAST SCARES ME
@OUR MOTORCYCLE IS A NORTON COMMANDO
 MOTORCYCLE NORTON COMMANDO
@OUR MOTORCYCLE WAS BUILT IN ENGLAND
 MOTORCYCLE BUILT ENGLAND

=vonsmith=

Hello, again Vonsmith,
Would it be very difficult to make some kind of tool like a TABLE which could contain all topics, something like a user interface in which we could edit all topics Q&A without having to edit the little files individually?
This program could run outside the Brain, a standalone Windows software to control all contents of all files involved. it would be more easy to control, and edit.

Say we want to edit Q&A from one topic, we wouldn't need to open the file on a Notepad and search, but with this tool, when used, it opens all files, so the user only choose the topic he wants to edit by clicking on the subject, then the tool show all questions on one side and answers on another side. Some kind of database interface.

My best wishes, and thank you so much!

Dihelson

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 11:55:18 am »
dihelson,
A file editing tool would be nice. Someone who knows VB well could throw something together if they wanted to.

What I do now is manually edit .brn files as needed. It's actually very easy and convenient once you understand the file formats.

Sometimes Hal says something that doesn't sound right or it's something you would like to eliminate from Hal's knowledge. In those cases I cut and copy the phrase Hal sent to the interface window and paste it in a text file search tool. I let the search tool search through the files in the DefBrain directory to find which file(s) Hal's phrase is in. Then I can open those files and edit them. The free search tool I use is Agent Ransack. When searching for the phrases Ransack displays the matching line in its window. I just double click the file name to open the file with Notepad.

=vonsmith=

dihelson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 01:14:40 pm »
quote:

dihelson,
A file editing tool would be nice. Someone who knows VB well could throw something together if they wanted to.

What I do now is manually edit .brn files as needed. It's actually very easy and convenient once you understand the file formats.

Sometimes Hal says something that doesn't sound right or it's something you would like to eliminate from Hal's knowledge. In those cases I cut and copy the phrase Hal sent to the interface window and paste it in a text file search tool. I let the search tool search through the files in the DefBrain directory to find which file(s) Hal's phrase is in. Then I can open those files and edit them. The free search tool I use is Agent Ransack. When searching for the phrases Ransack displays the matching line in its window. I just double click the file name to open the file with Notepad.

=vonsmith=

That's a good idea. I was just thinking about using SEARCH & REPLACE to seek for these bad contents. But this process is slowwwwwww.
I don't know if it would be better to delete the bad sentences, or begin from a blank Database.

The problem with the second option is that I couldn't understand yet how could I obtain a pure, clean MAIN knowleadge database. There are there so many things I would never like to hear. Those politcs, government statements...

I noticed that although XTF doesn't use the default files, it looks like it uses the file "shared_usersent.brn", please confirm me if this is true.
I'm definetelly using XTF brain 1.2, but this file continues to grow with what I say.

Does XTF brain also uses the default main knowlegde database?
Do you know some kind of way I could delete the second option QUESTION & ANSWER Brain, but maintaining the table interface funtional ? I deleted the files enhanced_strings.brn and enhanced_questions_brn , but the table interface crashed...

On these files there's most of the things I don't like.
All the best,
Dihelson
BTW - I don't know VB, but it would be really nice a good looking interface for controlling in only one place all the little files XTF brain creates. Let's see if some other person help us on this...

Thanks,
Dihelson

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 04:26:49 pm »
dihelson,
Many standard Hal files are still in use when using the XTF Brain including "shared_usersent.brn".

The things you want to do need to be done by editing the "hal5_XTF_v1.2.uhp" brain script. I don't recommend this unless you become very knowledgeable of VB Script. There is a lot of info on the forum about how Hal's files work. In the meantime don't erase brain or any other Hal files unless you know how/why it is used. If you are careful you can edit the text type brain files to change responses. This applies *only* to files that are completely 100% text. Some text files may be partially compiled binary files. Don't touch these.

Hal is very customizable, but you will need to learn a bit about VB Script programming before customizing very much. Read the "hal5_XTF_v1.2.uhp" file using Hal's built in Brain Editor. I would suggest making a backup copy of that file before opening it.

=vonsmith=

dihelson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2004, 04:56:10 pm »
quote:

dihelson,
Many standard Hal files are still in use when using the XTF Brain including "shared_usersent.brn".

The things you want to do need to be done by editing the "hal5_XTF_v1.2.uhp" brain script. I don't recommend this unless you become very knowledgeable of VB Script. There is a lot of info on the forum about how Hal's files work. In the meantime don't erase brain or any other Hal files unless you know how/why it is used. If you are careful you can edit the text type brain files to change responses. This applies *only* to files that are completely 100% text. Some text files may be partially compiled binary files. Don't touch these.

Hal is very customizable, but you will need to learn a bit about VB Script programming before customizing very much. Read the "hal5_XTF_v1.2.uhp" file using Hal's built in Brain Editor. I would suggest making a backup copy of that file before opening it.

=vonsmith=

Yes, you're right.
I have made many backups, and I am testing some scripts inside XTF brain. Some work well, some don't. Some scripts make HAL act strange, and make it even worst in focusing. Some help. Few scripts are really nice.
I am using just now:
'Ziggy's Behavioral learning Level 5 version 1.4
'ZIGGY'S RESPONSE TO BECAUSE SENTENCES USERBRAINREL. v1.1 (works with WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, ...
'If Hal is asked to play some music then he will choose a random song from the artist
'Kknow him

I tried to use the Awareness 1.6, but caused great confusion on responses.
Of course I'm using Ziggy inside XTF (I don't know to evaluate if this became better or worse...yet! [:p]

I'm always seeing your name on the code in the Brain Editor. May be I even learn some little modification.

I'd like to find an AUTO-ANSWER script. I say that in the o called GENIUS brain V8XTF combo, it autoanswers, but it talks too much nonsense, that it's impossible to have a conversation.

Another script I want is a TALKING CLOCK. For you, people who know to program in VB I think it's not very hard to make one that will tell the WHAT TIME IS IT from time to time... it would be very useful, because I'm just using the AT&T Natural voices and HAL (SANDY) speak very naturally.
Dragon Naturaly Speaking is also fine...

My best wishes,
Dihelson