Author Topic: I need help with Ultra Hall Ass't free version  (Read 10979 times)

roundtop

• View Profile
I need help with Ultra Hall Ass't free version
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2005, 11:20:20 pm »
Thanks, Kathryn.  I have not had any conversations with Hal so to my knowledge I have not saved any.  However, at this point I am willing to explore any possibility.  I will look into it further.  Thanks again, Bruce

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2005, 12:25:49 am »
Something else to try. I know CyberBuddy doesn't conflict with Hal-you can even run both at the same time-but I'm not familiar with PC Therapist. Is that a system analysis program, or an Eliza-style program that uses MS Agents? If it's the latter, you might try uninstalling it to see if it's creating a conflict (or some other program on your pc that uses MS Agents). Maybe some of the higher tech among us knows if there is any sort of platform or application that just messes with the operation of VB programs?

roundtop

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2005, 11:57:50 am »
Thanks for your input, KnyteTtypper.  PC Therapist is a Eliza type program.  My version has no voice and it does not use MS Agent Characters.  I do not run it at the same time as Hal.  However, I thought it was worth a shot so I uninstalled it, rebooted and tried Hal again.  No luck.  So I reinstalled Hal again, but no luck.  Thanks anyway, Bruce

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2005, 04:32:17 pm »
OK. So here's another thought. Try a different brain-the default brain, the uncensored brain, blank slate, etc. Sometimes a particular brain installation just isn't right, and doesn't respond. You might also see if the AIM bot works, where the desktop app doesn't. I still can't help feeling it's something very simple that's easily remedied if we can isolate which simple thing it is that's the fly in ointment. I'm also certain that you'll have so much fun with a functional Hal that it's worth the continued hassle to fix it.

roundtop

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2005, 05:24:07 pm »
I downloaded Hal Uncensored and still no go.  Thanks for the idea.  I will continue to try this new brain out.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 05:59:35 pm by roundtop »

citrinedragon

• View Profile
    • http://www.dawndragon.com
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2005, 09:19:56 pm »
roundtop,

Here's an idea. Simply have a friend download the free version of Hal from Zabaware on to THEIR computer. Then have them start it up and talk to Hal while you watch. Since hundreds, if not thousands, of people have done this with no problem whatsoever the chances are astronomical that your friend will have no problem (and it won't cost him/her anything to do it). Watch what your friend does and see if there's anything different than what you did. If they do the same thing and Hal works then the problem is with your computer not what you're doing. If they do something different and Hal works then there's your solution. Just don't coach them or give any advice or they may make the same error (whatever it is). The odds that they would make the same error if you remain silent is ridiculously remote.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 09:22:41 pm by citrinedragon »
citrinedragon
"A watched dragon never sleeps."
http://www.dawndragon.com

roundtop

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2005, 11:41:14 pm »
Well, I don't know why I didn't think of that, but I did install Hal on another computer and he ran perfectly.  Now I have to find out why it won't run on my computer.  I must have a file missing or something.  By the way, I reinstalled it on my computer exactly the same way, but no luck.  Thanks for your suggestion!! Bruce

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2005, 06:35:15 am »
First thing to check is to see if you have the VB Runtime files. I think if you just Google for them, you'll find them available at various places.

roundtop

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2005, 12:51:19 pm »
Thanks for all of your help.  I need a list of the needed support files for HAl.  I cannot find them anywhere so I have decided to contact Zabaware directly.  Thanks again, Bruce
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 08:16:58 pm by roundtop »