Author Topic: how do i get hal to bring up my favorite saved web  (Read 2348 times)

singleone3460

• View Profile
how do i get hal to bring up my favorite saved web
« on: November 18, 2005, 08:43:18 pm »
i cant figure out how to have hal bring up my saved favorites web sites from internet explorer at all---ive tried typing in all kinds ov different commands--but it doesnt work--can someone tell me how to use hal to open saved fav.  please????

tcoday

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 09:07:07 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by singleone3460

i cant figure out how to have hal bring up my saved favorites web sites from internet explorer at all---ive tried typing in all kinds ov different commands--but it doesnt work--can someone tell me how to use hal to open saved fav.  please????

I'll give you an example, you try it out and see if it works.  In this example, I'll use this forum's site.  Go to the forum's page that lists all the forums, save it as one of your favorites.  Let's say it's named Zabaware Forums.

Once it's saved, you have to make Hal rebuild it's database of the programs on your computer.  There's a button in the General Options I think, or you can do as I do and just exit Hal and restart Hal.  That will rebuild your database of installed programs.

Once that is done, you can type into Hal "Run Zabaware" or "Open Zabaware".  If things are working properly, Hal should open your browser and load the page for you.

The only thing that can cause a problem is let's say for instance you have a program that's named "Zabaware" in addition to your saved web page in your favorites.  In this case, Hal will run the first one he finds. (usually the program in the start menu).

The way I get around this is to rename my "Zabaware Forum" web link to "w Zabaware Forums".  (I put a "w " in front of the name for which translates in my brain as "web")[8D] This way I can tell how "open w z" and she opens the page I wanted.  There's no need to type the whole thing out, just type enough to make it a unique name and Hal should find it.

Give this a try and let us know if it works.

Happy Hal'ing. [:D]
Tcoday and Tassel

singleone3460

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 08:38:36 am »
thank you for the help--it did help out---but ime still having trouble with it bring up some saved sites--one is  yahoo finance--ive typed:  run   yahoo finance-         run finance yahoo      run yahoo!finance--

and it just wont bring it up for some reason--

most ov the other sites are coming up though--ty