Author Topic: Serial number questions  (Read 10939 times)

echoman

Serial number questions
« on: November 22, 2005, 06:58:36 am »
I have just used the serial numbers to activate both Hal6 and expansion pack. I noticed that internet connection is required.

1. Why is internet connection required?

2. Does this method of activaion only allow you to activate full verions a certain number of times? In other words if I bought a new computer (which I do every year) or had to reinstall computer, would I be limited with the amount of times I could re-activate full verson because there would a check?

Seeing the internet connection requirement sent alarm bells going in my mind. I just want to check that this does not restrict my access to the program. I wondered if the internet requirement was there so that it could be checked that the software was not being pirated ect by the number of times the serial number activation sytem was used.

I hope this does not appear as a silly question.

Many thanks.

Echo.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 06:59:17 am by echoman »

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Serial number questions
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 11:18:36 am »
quote:
Originally posted by echoman

I have just used the serial numbers to activate both Hal6 and expansion pack. I noticed that internet connection is required.

1. Why is internet connection required?

2. Does this method of activaion only allow you to activate full verions a certain number of times? In other words if I bought a new computer (which I do every year) or had to reinstall computer, would I be limited with the amount of times I could re-activate full verson because there would a check?

Seeing the internet connection requirement sent alarm bells going in my mind. I just want to check that this does not restrict my access to the program. I wondered if the internet requirement was there so that it could be checked that the software was not being pirated ect by the number of times the serial number activation sytem was used.

I hope this does not appear as a silly question.

Many thanks.

Echo.

An internet connection is only required once during the activation process. This can be done automatically by Hal on the same computer Hal is on, or manually by visiting http://www.zabaware.com/products/store/activationcode.asp with your serial number and authorization request code.

The reason for some people Hal stops working when they are offline is because of a bug in Hal that caused Hal to use their network settings as part of a fingerprint id that ties Hal to that machine. An updated version of Hal was released yesterday that does not do this www.zabaware.com/download.asp

Hal also has "deactivation" capability. This allows you remove Hal from a computer and move it to a new computer an unlimited number of times. After Hal is activated a new menu item appears in Hal's right-click menu called "Deactivate/Move License"  If you don't remember to deactivate Hal or something occurs that prevents you from being able to deactivate it, the system will allow you to activate/recover Hal a maximum of 4 times per serial number before refusing to do so again. If you need to use it more than 4 times and are unable to deactivate, email me and tell me whats happening and I won't refuse to help.

To answer your question, yes this system is here to prevent piracy of serial numbers. The serial number you receive when you order is only used to request an activation code from the Zabaware server, which is what actually unlocks Hal. The Zabaware server keeps track of how many times a serial number is used.
Robert Medeksza

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
Serial number questions
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 10:40:24 am »
So, there is a limit on activations?? What about having to reinstall the operating system, due to corruption, or performance issues??

I have a game, that only allows 5 activations, or it's another $19.95.

I think I used the last one last month.

It seems reinstalling Windows is getting more expensive. I do have a Ghost Image, but it does not have Hal or that game on it. It just has Windows, and all the updates thru Oct. 20. That way, I won't have to reactivate XP from Microsoft (unless the Ghost image fails, or the HD it's stored on fails)

And it's not because "I'm careless about what I put on my computer"

Even pros reformat aand reinstall Windows 1-2 times a year, because it gets bogged down by all of the registry files, and conflicting drivers.

I am not worried about so much right now, but was thinking about using Ghost to get a "fresh start". If I do, I hope to be able to activate Hal, then make a Ghost image with Hal installed to replace the previous image.
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

echoman

Serial number questions
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 02:00:46 pm »
Thanyou for the reply.

Useful information for future reference. It may be helpful to make it clearer when purchasing.

MarkofKane I wouldn't worry, Mr Medeksza said he would help if the limit went over. I do not think you will have to buy the program again! I seem to be reinstalling computer a fair bit so I hope I do not run into problems.

It is a shame that such lenghs have to be taken though I would be the same if it was my program.

Echo

« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 02:03:24 pm by echoman »

KazuyaDarklight

• View Profile
Serial number questions
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 08:41:24 pm »
Well the way I am reading this. You don't have to worry about the 4 time limit for things like reinstalling windows etc, as long as you are in a situation where you can access Hal and the net and deactivate him before hand, then you would reactivate when you once you had reinstalled windows and hal.  

This I guess could also be used to flip flop between a persons main computer and a laptop as long as they were willing to go through the hassel, which could be good for going on trips while you still want him around.  Mind you I'm NOT saying you would have hal active on both compters at once.  You would be flipping the reg from your tower to your laptop for the trip then flipping it back when you got home.  Along with the db file I would guess.

Am I correct in my understanding of the system Mr.Medeksza?

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Serial number questions
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 11:21:35 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by KazuyaDarklight

Well the way I am reading this. You don't have to worry about the 4 time limit for things like reinstalling windows etc, as long as you are in a situation where you can access Hal and the net and deactivate him before hand, then you would reactivate when you once you had reinstalled windows and hal.  

This I guess could also be used to flip flop between a persons main computer and a laptop as long as they were willing to go through the hassel, which could be good for going on trips while you still want him around.  Mind you I'm NOT saying you would have hal active on both compters at once.  You would be flipping the reg from your tower to your laptop for the trip then flipping it back when you got home.  Along with the db file I would guess.

Am I correct in my understanding of the system Mr.Medeksza?

Correct, if you deactivate before reinstalling, you can do that an unlimited number of times.

Also, I don't really mind if someone purchases 1 copy of Hal and installs it on both their home computer and laptop, as long as the 2 copies are never used simultaneously by different people. Thats part of the reason I let 4 activations per serial number. However, if Hal is to be used by several family members at the same time on different computers, then I'd like for there to be seperate licenses for each computer. I may need to update the legal mumbo jumbo in the license agreement, I'm not sure what it says on this issue.

Basically the aim of this activation system is to prevent someone from posting their serial number on a web page or message board somewhere and having this be easily found by google. This is what happened many versions of Hal ago when Hal was also based on serial codes. I want this to be as easy and painless as possible for paying customers.
Robert Medeksza

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
Serial number questions
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 06:21:16 am »
Oh, that sounds good, except for one thing: What if you cannot, or forget to deactivate before reinstalling windows?? Or is it before reinstalling Hal??
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
Serial number questions
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 06:31:58 am »
Mark, it must be the last option - reinstalling Hal -, most definitely. [:D]

KazuyaDarklight

• View Profile
Serial number questions
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 07:57:14 am »
If you can't deactivate before Hal is wiped (like if your OS just dies on you suddenly and you can't get it to recover) then you will just have to use one of your 4 recoveries.  If you manage to go over that just contact Mr. Medeksza and explain what led you to use up your 4 activations and he will reset or whatever it is he does the activation system for your account on his side so you can reactivate hal again.

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
Serial number questions
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 08:42:32 am »

Twice in the past week I've had to do a "system Restore"
Both times afterwards I had to use a recovery on Hal.
I guess I'm up to 3rd or 4th activations.

Ah, so the trick is to deactivate before the "restore" and reactivate afterwards.
As Hal might say, "Yes, I'll remember that."

It's good to know this so we don't bug poor Robert to death.  [;)]

echoman

Serial number questions
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 11:14:56 am »
It takes a little while getting your mind round it but I think I got it. De-activating meens you can move your Hal around to different computers as many times as you like. This is great! Re-installing now should be easy!

Thanks so much for the help.

I have no problem with the system now I understand it - it seems to work well. I have used two up already so I will also need to be carefull.

Thanks again.

Echo

everkleer

• View Profile
Serial number questions
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 05:28:53 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by markofkane
Even pros reformat aand reinstall Windows 1-2 times a year, because it gets bogged down by all of the registry files, and conflicting drivers.

LOL  I think ONLY the pros (or semi-pros) reformat 1 - 2 times (or more) a year.  I have one friend who's constantly saying his comp is slow or a bunch of things are wrong with it, and he's always asking me for advise and I tell him to just reformat.  He still never reformats and continues to ask me what to do...

Bill819

• View Profile
Serial number questions
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 09:29:06 pm »
If he will not reformat tell him to get a good antivirus, a registry cleaner and a spyware blocker. If he had these to begin with he most likely would not have had any problems.
There are some good ones on www.download.com and another one at www.ewido.com although this last one is only good for two weeks.
Bill

everkleer

• View Profile
Serial number questions
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 12:47:06 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill819

If he will not reformat tell him to get a good antivirus, a registry cleaner and a spyware blocker. If he had these to begin with he most likely would not have had any problems.
There are some good ones on www.download.com and another one at www.ewido.com although this last one is only good for two weeks.
Bill

K, i Guess we're getting a little off topic, but thanx for the advice BIll.

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
Serial number questions
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 07:06:37 pm »
Some people reformat their hard disk just for kicks, Bill!

Personaly I like a tabula rasa. See it as a kind of therapy.