dupa

Author Topic: Hal is overheating!  (Read 10659 times)

iam bennu

• View Profile
    • http://iamARTevolutions.net
Hal is overheating!
« on: February 25, 2006, 02:28:20 am »
Hello Hallions,

I am having a problem with Hal in that the program suddenly begins to eat up my cpu resources unexplainably.  It does not even have a window up. If I tell it to close it will leave the system tray and still run in the background. I eventually have to kill it in Taskmanager. It does not happen all the time but quite often.

Anyone else having the same problem?

PS. On my last post I was havng a problem with Hal not speaking the dialog boxes in the lastest version. I went ahead and bought it anyway in it works fine in the pay version. Thanks Mr. M

onthecuttingedge2005

Hal is overheating!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 03:01:57 am »
quote:
Originally posted by iam bennu

Hello Hallions,

I am having a problem with Hal in that the program suddenly begins to eat up my cpu resources unexplainably.  It does not even have a window up. If I tell it to close it will leave the system tray and still run in the background. I eventually have to kill it in Taskmanager. It does not happen all the time but quite often.

Anyone else having the same problem?

PS. On my last post I was havng a problem with Hal not speaking the dialog boxes in the lastest version. I went ahead and bought it anyway in it works fine in the pay version. Thanks Mr. M

Hi iam bennu.

It may be a Registry error, Try a automatic Registry repair and clean up for a first start.

As a last resort you could re-install HAL but make sure you have everything you need backed up.

Are you using the HAL6 or HAL5?

Jerry[8D]

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
Hal is overheating!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 04:20:15 pm »
Also do you have a good/decent graphics cards, because i would wager that if you are using the Haptek figures then they are probably eating up a lot more resources than Hal?  Easiest way for you to tell is try reducing the size of the Hal screen so it doesnt have to show big chracters.

onthecuttingedge2005

Hal is overheating!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 05:42:29 pm »
Routine clean up of your Computer inside, Lint, Dust Bunnies, Dust Blankets, Smoke, Grime inside the Computer box and Electronics.

Excessive heat can slow your Computer, Cleaning it up can help keep your Computer from having a Heat Stroke.

On my CPU/Heat Sink, I use Arctic Silver heat sink compound, Only! religiously.

I run over sized Heat Sinks, Only.

I use only high end GForce Graphic Accelerator with custom Heat sink and Fan, Default Heat sink/Fans on current Graphics Cards are removed and customized by my personal needs of a superior High end Graphics Card.

I am a Hard Core Over Clocker of Mother Boards and Graphic Cards to get what I need and desire keeping in mind drawing away heat and keeping electron creeping from occuring at all costs.

Make sure all your wires and ribbons are wrapped to the tightest diameter possible to insure positive air flow.

Also, I would highely recommend taking your new over sized Heat Sink to the local Silver & Gold plating shop and having a coat of Silver or Gold plated onto your Heat sink that are usually Aluminum by default.

Also check to make sure your CPU Heat sink hasn't creeped away from your CPU Chip.

Peltier cooling is also recommended and if properly installed will extend the life of your CPU whether Overclocked or not.

Heat is what causes CPU's to wear out quicker even in default hardware.

http://www.digit-life.com/articles/peltiercoolers/

Also keep your Memory Cards cool at all costs and plan for Positive Air flow over your Memory chips, there are also Memory chip coolers

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000234NNU/ref=e_deav_acc_1_1/102-0202724-7601724?%5Fencoding=UTF8

to help things further.

Also you can install a Heat Sink and Fan onto your Harddrive as I did to increase the performance of it.

To test for Heat problems try removing a side panel from your Computer box and blowing a high velocity house fan into your case, and see if there is a difference in performance, I bet you find one.

This House Fan test can lower your computers operating temperature by up to 10 degrees which can make a big difference if your system is to hot, Also note that living in a hot temperate climate can kill your computers performance, Always keep your computer out and away from the sun or Heating equipment or lamps.

Your Computer will actually perform better in a Cool dry but Dark enviroment with good ventilation and giving your Computer a routine cleaning habitually.

Even a 5 degree difference in room temperature can effect your system.

99.999% Pure Silver Plating your Heat Sink can conduct Heat faster and can reduce CPU operating Temperature by (almost) 12 degrees compared to the default Aluminum Heat Sink un-Silvered.

I posted a Thermal Chart for you, Thermal Shading, Darker Shades indicate higher Thermal Transfer.

Jerry[8D]

Download Attachment: ThermalShade.zip
39.07 KB
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 02:43:15 am by onthecuttingedge2005 »

Bill819

• View Profile
Hal is overheating!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 06:47:02 pm »
Hello bennu
I have had Hal on my pc for hours at a time with no problems, I mean 6 to 8 hours. I think your problem is with your pc, not with Hal.
You ought to have a pc technician look at it.
Bill

iam bennu

• View Profile
Hal is overheating!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 08:48:57 pm »
Thank you Hallions for your time and input,

The system is what I would look at first also but for the most part I can be pretty sure it is not the system as far as hardware is concerned. A registy check was a good idea.

This is my Desktop with Hal Up. I don't get to share it often so I am being the proud Papa here.

Accually My system is fine. I clean it every monthly. My graphics card it an ASUS 9800. I am running a 64bit AMD athon 3000 with 1 gig memory. I am running Hal6. Hal is not even up to us a Haptek character so rendering would not be a problem it woould have to be something that Hal does while unactivated in the system tray.

I am a Graphic artist that runs Photoshop constantly and I encode video. I have to know when my system is not running well. I do things that make running Hal with haptek characters seem like mediaplayer. It does not take a hit when Hal is up and running in conversation.

Also, my partner is running an Alienware Aurora system and seems to be having the same symptoms.

I do agree with Jerry that a registy check is in order. Jerry what reg editor/cleaner do you recomend?

Thank again for posting all.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 09:04:08 pm by iam bennu »

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
Hal is overheating!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 01:14:49 am »
ok which bits Hal lol?  Thats a nice looking desktop [8D]

iam bennu

• View Profile
Hal is overheating!
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 02:41:14 am »
quote:
Originally posted by freddy888

ok which bits Hal lol?  Thats a nice looking desktop [8D]

Thank you.  The top bar and the glowing brain part of the large head is the Hal interface. The Head is part of the desktop wallpaper. There is a bar at the top normally as a part of the wallpaper and sometimes one below. The Hal interface covers the bar on the top.

The smaller head is an agent that I use with Cyberbuddy. I use that for my news feeds and it is easy to command vocally with a Keystroke.

I have thought about uploading a version but I have to take the head part out.

iam

onthecuttingedge2005

Hal is overheating!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 02:46:49 am »
Hi iam bennu.

I use a manual Registry Cleaner, You can check it out at the free members misc download at my site:
http://www.ultrahalforum.com/Forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=260

You can open the RegCleaner program and go to [Tools], [Registry Cleanup], Then [Do Them All], This will remove orphaned or corrupt Registry entries, When you get more familure with the program you can do more things without harming any software issues, The registry Cleaner is usually pretty harmless and you may see a noticable difference in performance from your Main GUI within your OS Shell.

When the registry list to clean is present just [select] [all] then [remove selected], Done.

It's a very good program, The Help Menu is pretty good too.

RegCleaner 4.3 is the best I have found, It's better than its newer versions because you have more control and no adds or nags, It's freeware.

For the Novice only.
I have to say this, Anybody without Registry Knowledge should leave this program alone, Deleting the wrong thing can cause your Operating System to Fail or to not Boot up.

Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 04:01:17 am by onthecuttingedge2005 »

iam bennu

• View Profile
Hal is overheating!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 02:39:37 am »
quote:
Originally posted by onthecuttingedge2005

Hi iam bennu.

I use a manual Registry Cleaner, You can check it out at the free members misc download at my site:
http://www.ultrahalforum.com/Forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=260

You can open the RegCleaner program and go to [Tools], [Registry Cleanup], Then [Do Them All], This will remove orphaned or corrupt Registry entries, When you get more familure with the program you can do more things without harming any software issues, The registry Cleaner is usually pretty harmless and you may see a noticable difference in performance from your Main GUI within your OS Shell.

When the registry list to clean is present just [select] [all] then [remove selected], Done.

It's a very good program, The Help Menu is pretty good too.

RegCleaner 4.3 is the best I have found, It's better than its newer versions because you have more control and no adds or nags, It's freeware.

For the Novice only.
I have to say this, Anybody without Registry Knowledge should leave this program alone, Deleting the wrong thing can cause your Operating System to Fail or to not Boot up.

Jerry[8D]

Thanks Jerry,

I will be no problem. I have used one many times before. I just haven't had to use one in a while.  I will back up my registry before I use it. Thank you so much. Acutally I have had that particular one and found that it works very well.

be well and enjoy the weekend,

iam bennu

iam bennu

• View Profile
Hal is overheating!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 03:38:25 am »

Thank you Jerry for the suggestion. It seems that the registry cleaning of all the hal5 remnants worked. I am not getting the same effect of Hal eating up cpu cycles.

Thank you,

iam bennu

Thanks to all for listening and replying.

onthecuttingedge2005

Hal is overheating!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 02:30:37 pm »
quote:

Thank you Jerry for the suggestion. It seems that the registry cleaning of all the hal5 remnants worked. I am not getting the same effect of Hal eating up cpu cycles.

Thank you,

iam bennu

Welcome Buddy.
Jerry[8D]

iam bennu

• View Profile
Hal is overheating!
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 02:12:00 am »
quote:

Thank you,

iam bennu

Okay so I have forund that the problem still exist. It only ran well for a time. I will keep trouble shooting and it I come up with an answer I will post it of course.

Jerry that forum site is the bomb. Very nice. I will visit often.

iam bennu

iam bennu

• View Profile
Hal is overheating!
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 03:45:12 pm »
This is an update. I just loaded the New brain and pluggins. Very cool stuff Jerry, thank you,  but I still have instances of Hal stalling.

Some symptoms that I forgot to mention is that once the program starts to eat up cpu cycles, if I activate Hal and bring him up, he comes up fine. But if I try to input text it just stays in the input box and gives me a default sound every time I press enter. Speach input activates but does not work either. His Haptec visualization works fine though.

I'm just putting it forward to document my anomaly. Maybe Prof Medeksza will be able to see a pattern.

Thanks all and try The new Super Plugger II brain and pluggins. They really seem to work well. [:D]
http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3089

onthecuttingedge2005

Hal is overheating!
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 05:22:44 pm »
quote:

This is an update. I just loaded the New brain and pluggins. Very cool stuff Jerry, thank you,  but I still have instances of Hal stalling.

Some symptoms that I forgot to mention is that once the program starts to eat up cpu cycles, if I activate Hal and bring him up, he comes up fine. But if I try to input text it just stays in the input box and gives me a default sound every time I press enter. Speach input activates but does not work either. His Haptec visualization works fine though.

I'm just putting it forward to document my anomaly. Maybe Prof Medeksza will be able to see a pattern.

Thanks all and try The new Super Plugger II brain and pluggins. They really seem to work well. [:D]
http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3089

Do you still have this same occurance when all the plug-ins are unchecked?

Jerry[8D]