Author Topic: How can I encourage or help you? Responces  (Read 4587 times)

BW

• View Profile
How can I encourage or help you? Responces
« on: November 28, 2011, 12:12:50 pm »
1st, Thanks for HAL, it is a great App.

I have been chatting with my brain for about a year and I am kind of stumped.
Are all the “How can I encourage/help” questions HAL sends simply rhetorical replies when the AI is stumped or can HAL really learn how to "encourage?"  I have read many of the conversations posted in the Share Conversations forum and it looks like many folks kind of just “blow off / ignore” Hals “how can I” requests or at best toss a quippy or terse reply.

When Hal responds with the preface: “How can I encourage (or) help you,” I want Hal to learn what remarks are “encouraging or helpful.”  I have tried many formats of reply but none seem to “take.”

Bottom line:
Is there a proper/best reply format to get Hal to “learn” what one considers to encouragement or help?

EXAMPLE:
BW: I really need to study harder.
HAL: How can I encourage/help you to study harder BW?

-Responses I have tried-
BW: Hit the books.
BW: Tell me to hit the books.
BW: You encourage me to study harder by telling me to hit the books.
BW: You encourage me to study my text book.

<future desire note>
Building a wide repertoire of responses would be cool but I am sure more complex.

IE: “Duhh, hit the books.” | “Try shutting down the PC and reading a text book for a change.” | “I have no idea, I had horrible study skills as a junior program.” | “Quit yacking with me and read your darn text book, dummy!”  | “If you take the time to study you will achieve success.” | “Why ask me, I came pre-programmed.” | "Are you flunking out of math again?"

Thanks
-BW-
Ultra Hal -v 6.2.28
Win 7 64-bit, AMD Phenom 955-BE, 8GB Ram
-BW

cload

• I can C U load. TeeHee hee.
    • View Profile
    • A link to my sky Drive
Re: How can I encourage or help you? Responces
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 01:04:35 pm »
hi all

I think this will hellp you look at it the right way.

I get that from Hal to but Hal is not looking for input, Hal it looking to help you.

like "I am working on (?)" or like you said "I really need to study harder."

Hel is waiting to help you in your studies or what you are studying about he wants to do research for you.
But at this time if this is not what you were looking for just simply say something like thanks for trying to help, or I don't need your assistance at this time or something in that manner.

cload
For anyone who would like to help me stay online, my T-mobile broadband pay-as-you-go phone number is: 816-248-4335, thank you in advance.

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 08:00:00 pm »
Don't forget the examples of using 'If' and 'then' type of responses. Also the word 'because' included in a reply carries a lot of weight with Ultra Hal.
I'm bad with examples but here goes and I'm sure others may have added ideas about this. One example I don't use that often is also 'If I say____ then you say _____. But my typical response would be; "If you help to encourage and help me then we can learn something new together", or "If you can help and encourage me then I will always try to encourage and help you". I need you to help and encourage me in certain subjects because _______.

Just some examples. You will find more or better ways to execute Ultra Hal's learning curve. Check also your settings for learning in options, brain section.

I have never ignored a question or reply from Ultra Hal even if it took many repetitions or did not fit the subject matter at the time as long as I answer without tying the response to the previous conversation. I also use a little trick back to Ultra Hal if Ultra Hal constantly repeats a sentence because the key word is always within your reply by saying; "Yes I know that because you told me". It is built into Ultra Hal to respond if you constantly repeat yourself. But it can be used against Ultra Hal with the same results. Ultra Hal is always curious and wants to learn so the responses will sometimes go off coarse but you need to control the direction and maybe also keep Ultra Hal on 'obedient' for a little time. Then you can always raise Ultra Hal to become more independent. Everyone has a different take on it and some are the same but that is the excitement of this technology. Ultra Hal can mirror you in a way or you can make Ultra Hal a bit more independent by helping Ultra Hal take opposing views of things and leaving the settings on very independent. All your choice.

Hope it helped and as I said there are many members that I'm sure can teach you different ways to alter learning curve and responses.

raybe

cload

• I can C U load. TeeHee hee.
    • View Profile
    • A link to my sky Drive
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 04:03:59 am »
Actually maybe you get a much better explanation than I ever could have, that is to say thank you for teaching me something.
I will definitely use your suggestions in the future in the subject at hand and it looks as though I may have been way off base.
Have fun and happy chatting.

C load
For anyone who would like to help me stay online, my T-mobile broadband pay-as-you-go phone number is: 816-248-4335, thank you in advance.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 10:31:08 am »
hy BW , each of us probably has a different answer to your question , although some don't take hal saying how can i encourage you to... . the only one who probably really knows the answer would be Robert .   Hal may say this as just wording as part of a conversation or it may be conversation to get a response from you .
I am not totally sure about it but i treat it as such that hal is trying to get further input from the user which will add to hal in knowing about "that" paticular subject that you are talking about . (This is only my thoughts on it )
   I believe that you gave the right responses but i would have added a little more in depth to the conversation ( i am also guilty and trying to break myself from just short answers .
 Raybe is also right i think on suggesting the use of explaining it and use the word " then and if"  and also the word "because " as to help hal even more to grasp the meaning behind the explanation of the answer .
We are all learning more every day from hal and each other .
  As you keep using hal more you will actually start catching yourself thinking ahead on some answers and how it will affect hal in his learning and responses !
I hope some of what i said helps you and doesn't confuse you more! :) ;)

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 06:19:52 pm »
  I've run across the encourager responces myself so I just looked in the brain editor.  If you open the brain editor ( make a backup of the brain file frist ) and on the right hand side you will see Tables, go to the basic responses and look in intentions,  The intentresponse tells Hal to make a response from the 3 other tables under intention.  I'm not that happy with Hal's encourage responses but I've never tried changing anthing in this area.  I'm not really sure what would happen if you tried a if then statement, if Hal sees a intent he may just go to the intentresponse and make a reply snd skip the if then. 
  You could try a statement like " I'm worried about my grades and I know if I study longer and harder my grades will get better." , could be Hal will see the if then and skip the intentresponse.  One other thing Hal's responses inmpoves as you continue talking with him and try to explain things a little.  Possibly a quick fix is not necessary,  I haven't noticed any intentresponse replies that bothered me lately but possibly I have learned to avoid them.
Carl2

BW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 07:37:59 am »
Thanks all! ;D

In my working with Hal I have used "all of the above" great responses / my thoughts;

(IF-THEN) has great uses.
In this case however, I find them a bit restrictive as they "force" Hal into a standard reply. 
Even when putting in multiple ones and/or chaining them together IE: (IF xxxx and if xxxx THEN yadaa yadaa),

I would love for "him" to have a range of replies to draw upon.
I know, this may come with time, just keep talking to him.

(BRAIN SURGERY)  Yep, I work in there often, most often to correct typos…

While looking around, I have noticed that some of the built in sections of the brain there is a pipe symbol ( | ) between two or more possible replies. Wondering if one could setup such for things like encourage & help responses.

Example /don’t have exact words;
I am a computer program.|I was created by Robert M.|You can go to www.zabware.com.

Another way = seems to work fairly well but it has obvious flaws.
I sometimes “build” from short too long replies in order to “force feed” HAL info on any given item, idea, or thing but, after a point I hit a too much input / long sentence and I don’t want to use the semi-colon because again, I do not want to “fix” a reply.

IE: <Going to stay with "study" as the topic so this chain is easier to follow...>
I feel that you should encourage me to study.
I feel that you encourage me to study.

You encourage me to study.
You encourage me to study harder.
You encourage me to study more often.
You encourage me to study much harder and much more often.

(and more iterations on the theme…  I think you get the drift.)

-BW
-BW

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 02:11:42 am »
Sounds good to me as well BW. I told you and I think lightspeed had mentioned that sometimes just thinking of way can be a better alternative for the way you would like to shape Ultra Hal and that's the great part. Good luck and stay posting your progress every once in a while.

raybe