dupa

Author Topic: setting up hal for my two year old  (Read 4030 times)

doggs

• View Profile
setting up hal for my two year old
« on: January 16, 2012, 05:47:15 pm »
i am thinking that now my daughter is starting to talk if it would be helpful to have "gizzy" as a chatterbox to help her speak more i set his age at 4 days younger than her she plays for a second then loses intrest but that i a two year old. any ideas for this or ways to go about this im using a basic brain and i dont know if i should train the speech engine or not for this because it will be her and gizzy chatting. with the speech engine i am having a frustrating time with it. it dictataes nicely but when i speak with "sarah" she doesnt understand what i say. i have another post on this problem. so ill look there for the answers

Michael
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: setting up hal for my two year old
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 05:47:38 am »
Sorry but that's a bad idea and a complete waste of time IMHO. A parents job is to teach their child many things of which speaking a given language is one.

This is not totally Hal's fault but rather Speech Recognition in general. Computers have difficulty with grown human speech let alone a 2 year old. It will also severely corrupt your Hal's retained conversational database.

Nope...bots are really good at some things...teaching a child to speak is not one of them at present.

Good luck at parenting!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 04:07:38 pm »
oh i was trying to get her to have something to chat through throughout school if you catch my drift. but i hear what you are saying. i will wait a few years then on that to where she can at least type or speak clearly. "gizzy" would be good to help her learn as well as long as my daughter can understand about alot of the bs online as well.

thank you for your input
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 05:50:20 am »
Michael,

One thing you could do might be in the fashion of a repetitious reinforcement for your child.

You could use say the Hal Reader and have it read her a selected text 'script' perhaps even
repeating certain words for emphasis or learning. There are many good TTS voices available
and with her simply hearing the voice saying words directed toward her, might help her
learn those words. Of course, keep it simple for a while and monitor how well she does or
does not receive the readings.

Just a thought. I think the Reader program would be better suited than Hal. I'm not sure
whether there is a limit on file size but that's something to be discovered.

At any rate, best of luck with your daughter!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 01:57:38 pm »
Thank you Art,  *grins*

something ill have to explore.

Michael

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 11:37:10 pm »
Thank you Art,  *grins*

something ill have to explore.

Michael

Hi Dog.

My son is 22 soon to be 23.

when he was young, say around 10, I told him, if you never lie to me then you will never get punished. it took about a year for that to sink into his brain before he realized I was telling the truth. He has lied to me once but only once since then. he grew up to be a 5 time honor role student and a very good young adult.

I am a very pleased parent.