dupa

Author Topic: Schema of conception  (Read 31355 times)

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
Schema of conception
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2007, 06:54:22 pm »
I thought pointing out grammatical errors was rude?

Unless you say, "Excuse me, but the proper usage is "They're" not "their".

"Their gonna start a fight" is wrong.
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Schema of conception
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2007, 07:14:50 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by markofkane

I thought pointing out grammatical errors was rude?

I thought that pointing out that someone was being rude was considered rude...

It's important that we accept every error and only critizise those who point out errors... even though that could be considered an error on their part. If we are ever going to get to the point where we are all equal, those who do well will have to be brought down to the level of the least able. It's only fair.

rockershaft

• View Profile
Schema of conception
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2007, 07:15:31 pm »
That's what a writer does; points out grammatical errors in his script.

Thank you for the rudness, Art.

PS please point out my spelling errors
5d30d2c942

rockershaft

• View Profile
Schema of conception
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2007, 07:22:09 pm »
Bill and Art sound like their own best script editors. lol
5d30d2c942

tedathome

• View Profile
Schema of conception
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2007, 12:54:05 am »
Bill, keep up the good work. Spelling, grammer, punctuation, all the rest really make a difference in traning hal. Exelent teachers are rare. I had a seventh and eight grade English teacher who was so good, she prepared me for high school and colledge and life in general. In tranfering schools, my grandson went from special ed to A's & B's in one year. Although I may have stated this more eloquently and I would expect a couple of red marks from her had I turned this in as a paper, I do the best I can and proof-read before posting. A chemical lobobotomy and poor eyesight doesn't mean I can't, I just have to try harder. You are an inspiration to me.
ted

ramccoid

• View Profile
    • http://www.visualillustrations.co.uk
Schema of conception
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2007, 04:31:24 am »
Spelling and grammar shouldn't be an issue in this forum. The point being, is that the expression of what is said, should be made to be understood by all who read it.
With being from England, I spell some things differently from my friends in the U.S.A., example colour and color, centre and center, would that make my spelling incorrect to some? When infact, it is correct to my situation in the world. We can not judge people because of their inabilities to produce perfect english. Some are from parts of the world where english is their second language and find it difficult to express things in the mother tongue.
We should all be more forgiving to our and others trivial imperfections because that is what makes us all individuals.
The important thing is that we all happily and harmoniously communicate together as friends.
Roy.

rockershaft

• View Profile
Schema of conception
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2007, 07:50:02 am »
Lady blond.

You love us because we kick ass and take names all in the honor of your moderate but eternal control.
5d30d2c942

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Schema of conception
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2007, 08:44:20 am »
quote:
Originally posted by ramccoid

Spelling and grammar shouldn't be an issue in this forum.

It's not really.

Art was teasing me and I'm teasing Art.

I was also using his post as a springboard for what should be a common internet point of discussion, that habitual slipshod spelling and grammar, while certainly allowed, reveals to other people your level of education and/or level of respect for others. Sloppy language should be ostensibly allowed but generally abhored.

Carelessness implies a failure to care. I would hope people care.

There are people who have legitimate issues which prevent accurate posting in Standard American English. We are not talking about them. No one should look down on them unless they are otherwise unpleasant.

But there is room in this world for expressions of dismay when we see that our schools have not done their jobs, or, having paid our School Tax for someone else's education, seeing it thrown away by a failure of effort on the part of the student.

Posters, especially posters who are adult, cannot be easily excused for failing to take the time and effort to at least proofread their posts before sending. Certainly there will be mistakes, but not the level of mistakes sometimes seen, where the majority of the post is indecipherable, or where exactly the thing not meant is exactly what is written.

I say they cannot be easily excused, because if we do excuse them, while taking the time and effort to chastise those who do speak up, the worst case is the only possible result. We, by default, endorse that which we do not denounce, and we effectively denounce that which we do not endorse.

I never want to be in the position of denouncing education, competence, and accurate communication of ideas. As an educator, and a fellow human being, I must endorse hard work, accomplishment, and the attempt to develop skill in any chosen endeavor. If people want to write posts on a forum, I must encourage them to do it well.

Usually I try to do it by example. I apologize if that is not the result of my efforts.

Occasionally, when the errors get so bad that the meaning is uncertain, I point it out. I know this leaves me open for the spelling flames that result from any small typo on my part, but it’s worth it. I'm concerned less about “making nice” in a forum than I am about improving the whole of humanity with improved communication.

YMMV

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Schema of conception
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2007, 09:45:08 am »
Bill, i no wat u meen. i height it wen peeple R 2 lay-zee 2 youse propper grammir!!

ramccoid

• View Profile
Schema of conception
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2007, 10:04:35 am »
quote:
Bill, i no wat u meen. i height it wen peeple R 2 lay-zee 2 youse propper grammir!!

Nice one Mark .... hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Roy.

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Schema of conception
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2007, 12:39:15 pm »
quote:

I don't hate it, but I know what it means. It reveals their level of education and/or respect. How come I'm the bad guy for wanting others to do well? I don't do spelling flames, but I do express my opinion when someone else brings it up. Is that no longer allowed?

I know you will not agree with me on this, but you are wrong nonetheless. Taking the time and effort to communicate well shows respect for others and yourself. I don't expect you to understand that. You have convinced me that you do not respect yourself or others. I didn't want to believe it but you repeatedly insisted it was true. I finally accepted it.

Do what you want, just know that your behavior is relevatory. Poor communication skills in this age is the internet equivalent of not bathing regularly. I won't force you to bathe but I also won't invite you to dinner.

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Schema of conception
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2007, 12:43:23 pm »
I was trying to be funny. Geez, I am not the one that is criticizing.

I don't want to get into this self-respect thing. Why can't a person be happy without someone trying to bring him/her down?

Yes, it's good to have good grammer, but once you are dead, what good is it going to do you?? [8D]

You won't invite me to dinner?? I'm crushed. I'll just have to eat with those that appreciate me for who I am.[:D]
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 12:45:57 pm by markofkane »

ramccoid

• View Profile
Schema of conception
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2007, 01:16:03 pm »
Wasn't Einstein considered retarded and beyond educating, during his school life? If we had judged him on his grammar and spelling, the world would now be retarded of the knowledge which such a great mind has endowed upon it.
Judge not unless we be judged ourselves. Didn't the man who we base our christian beliefs and our society is built upon, say something to that effect?

rockershaft

• View Profile
Schema of conception
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2007, 01:34:42 pm »
The answer to all questions on a thread is cause affects.

All answers cause all questions.

Seek and ye shall find knowledge that seeks itself.
5d30d2c942

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Schema of conception
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2007, 01:43:07 pm »
quote:
You won't invite me to dinner?? I'm crushed. I'll just have to eat with those that appreciate me for who I am.[:D]

For the sake of those who read but do not post, let's try one more time.

How can someone appreciate you for who you are unless you reveal who you are? You can only reveal it by what you do, things that they see, hear, feel or smell about you. They can't read your mind. If you don't communicate well, how can they appreciate who you are? They may be appreciating something else for all you know.

I have friends who are interesting, challenging and open, why would I want to have dinner with you instead of them?

The only way I will know is if you can communicate it to me. But if you cannot, or will not, is that my fault?